Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/15! I'm so scared. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/15! I'm so scared. Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/15! I'm so scared.

Unread 12-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/15! I'm so scared.

I can't believe it is happening...I'm ready to get it over with but I'm just so worried about several things.

1st.. I've been so worried about the instance of vain after the hysterectomy.. My hysterectomy is for bilateral dermoid cysts but I am HPV +.. My paps have all been normal Hugh. My doctor tells me it's extremely unlikely and hpv shouldn't really bug me anymore since I've never had cancer or high grade changes or needed any sort of treatment. It went away on its own the one time I had some low grade changes.. But we will do an annual pap just for peace of mind this is probably my biggest worry though although probably pretty irrational.. I pray I will be in the majority and maybe this will just send the hpv into dormancy.

2nd.. I'm terrified of the fact I will be in surgical menopause at 32. He said I will wake up with a patch on and we will work to figure out what's rightnfor me. But man I never bought I'd be dealing with this so you.

I'm worried about the pathology- I just pray everything comes back good.. Especially the cervix. My ct scan didn't show anything suspicious thank goodness.. Hopefully that's a good thing. But I pray it's nothing bad and that while I will be recovering, I can still enjoy Christmas.. I just want it to be a happy Christmas. It's just been a stressful year medically.

3rd.. I'm scared.. I want to cry.. I will be so sad to kiss my 2 year old goodbye in e morning.. For fear I may not wake up. Although I know this is an extremely common surgery and that hasn't ever happened with my surgeon yet..

4th.. I've never had a surgery or been under anesthesia besides the kind with the colonoscopy and an epidural with my son. But never fully under. I'm scared of being nauseous (I have emetophobia)

I'm sure as lot of my feelings are normal.. It's just so hard.
Today at church I had the elders pray over me and anoint me. So trying to put full trust and faith in God.

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Re: Surgery tomorrow! I'm so scared.

You aren't alone. Even those of us who have had multiple surgeries in the past are scared. It's perfectly normal. I've had so mannnnnny surgeries and the same fears affect me every time. Take comfort in the fact that no one wants to have u not wake up. Least of all the hospital and anesthesiologist who don't want to be sued. They will do absolutely everything to make it as uneventful and safe as possible. Go in with the thought of all the things you need to do once you are out not goodbyes. That being said I'm still writing up little notes to my kids (I do every time).
Unread 12-14-2014, 04:49 PM

I go in tomorrow also. I am totally with you in wanting to get it over and scared out of my mind. I worry about not waking up. Even though the chances of getting killed in a car accident are much higher it still scares me.

I have 3 kids....18, 11, and 4 and yes saying goodbye to them is hard. You will probably cry on the way to the hospital. That is OK. I have had many surgeries for endometriosis and gall bladder, etc...and I have found letting it out and not holding it in is best. Cry the whole way and go in all released.

As far as the nausea..I have the same problem. Just tell them when you get there and they will give you zofran. I call that my miracle drug. Also ask for some when you go home incase the narcotics make you queasy. I had to zofran while pregnant so it is a relatively safe med.

Stay in touch. My surgery is at 7:30 and I have to be there at 5:45AM. Uggggh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2014, 05:14 PM

Thanks! I know things will probably be okay. The sad thing is that the thing that has ahold of me the most is probably the most irrational.. Which is the vain thing.i just can't shake that. So cared I will go through his and end up with vaginal dysplasia or cancer. Even though my doctor has told me that is not a concern in my specific situation. I'll admit.. I've looked at the cancer boards on here and that was probably a bad idea considering mine isn't for that and those are the rare scenarios.. Not the majority.
Unread 12-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhp8982 View Post
Thanks! I know things will probably be okay. The sad thing is that the thing that has ahold of me the most is probably the most irrational.. Which is the vain thing.i just can't shake that. So cared I will go through his and end up with vaginal dysplasia or cancer. Even though my doctor has told me that is not a concern in my specific situation. I'll admit.. I've looked at the cancer boards on here and that was probably a bad idea considering mine isn't for that and those are the rare scenarios.. Not the majority.
Hi don't be scared. I was too and I felt great after my surgery. I had a total vaginal hysterectomy. I went home same day. And bk to work in a week. I of all people should've had complications. I have an auto immune disease. Which slows healings and causes blood clots. Not one complication. Good luck
Unread 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Victoriah68 is so right....Our lives are FAR more at risk out on any road than in the O.R. You are also more likely to get hit by lightening, or win the lottery TWICE than you are likely to not wake up from this surgery. But....that doesn't mean it isn't still scary. I was FREAKING the night before my surgery. I was freaking right up to the moment they gave me the pre-anesthetic drugs. And then I wanted to put a lamp shade on my head and start dancing on the table.

But still....a hysterectomy is a very big thing, and a lot to take on. It sure isn't like having your appendix out....this is our lady parts, and parting with them can be emotionally and hormonally impacting, as well as the physical impact we are already aware of. I was scared of all that...especially the pain.

I won't lie to you and say that going through it is an easy & pleasant walk in the park....but the FEAR of it was far worse than the actual experience of it. The surgery itself seemed instantaneous. I don't remember going under, and it feels like they were waking me up literally seconds after they put me on the table. I was happy when I woke up....felt SO much less pain than I expected to. Some discomfort, but no pain. They kept me comfortable, fed, and happy through my whole stay....I actually enjoyed the hospital experience. Here at home....recovery IS a long and slow process. You go day by day, step by step, and the pace seems glacial....but its totally doable. And we'll all be here doing it right along with ya.
Unread 12-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Thanks.. I really am feeling better about most of it. Just the other issue... Sigh.
Unread 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Good luck with your surgery. Your surgeon and the entire medical team will take very good care of you.

We will be waiting for you on the other side.

Unread 12-14-2014, 09:39 PM

My surgery isn't til 1:30. You should be out before I go in.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriah68 View Post
I go in tomorrow also. I am totally with you in wanting to get it over and scared out of my mind. I worry about not waking up. Even though the chances of getting killed in a car accident are much higher it still scares me.

I have 3 kids....18, 11, and 4 and yes saying goodbye to them is hard. You will probably cry on the way to the hospital. That is OK. I have had many surgeries for endometriosis and gall bladder, etc...and I have found letting it out and not holding it in is best. Cry the whole way and go in all released.

As far as the nausea..I have the same problem. Just tell them when you get there and they will give you zofran. I call that my miracle drug. Also ask for some when you go home incase the narcotics make you queasy. I had to zofran while pregnant so it is a relatively safe med.

Stay in touch. My surgery is at 7:30 and I have to be there at 5:45AM. Uggggh
Unread 12-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhp8982 View Post
My surgery isn't til 1:30. You should be out before I go in.
I have 6 hours.....trying to sleep but can't. This is going to be a long night

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register