LAVH 12 days post hysterectomy: Am I doing too much??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 days post hysterectomy: Am I doing too much??? 12 days post hysterectomy: Am I doing too much???

Unread 12-28-2016, 10:36 AM
12 days post hysterectomy: Am I doing too much???

Hi ladies. I had my LAVH + BSO 12 days ago on 16th December. I only had a 1 night stay in hospital before being allowed home the next day. I had early menopause aged 33ish and now, aged 36 after constant pelvic pain they found cysts and fibroids on my ovaries. My mum passed away of ovarian cancer when she was 45 so it was decided with the family history, my pain and the cysts not to mess around with laparoscopy etc but to just do an LAVH+BSO straight away. Seemed logical to me even though I haven't had children yet I was ok with it under the circumstances. During surgery the surgeon also found endometriosis over my ovaries and attached to my appendix so all that had to be removed as well. On returning home I actually felt surprisingly good. I knew about the do's and dont's and what I could and couldn't do so I took it steady. I was managing with the occasional paracetamol and listening to my body. By day 3 I was walking fine, using the stairs, cooking, doing light housework, a little hoovering and even managed a trip to the shop with my partner. I know I probably shouldn't be doing all this but I do rest when I need to, take myself to bed or feel any pain but I seem pretty ok? What worries me is is this normal?? I am very fit, lived in the gym before my op and I guess am quite young considering. But everyone keeps telling me I'm doing too much. Surely I know my own body and the fact that I do listen to it, stop when I need rest and am having no symptoms of overdoing it is a good thing? Any advice from ladies who are in a similar situation would be appreciated. Thanks xxxxxxx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Re: Am I doing too much???

As long as you're listening to your body and your body is telling you it's okay, you're fine. The danger when doing housework is that we tend to focus on finishing tasks rather than on how our bodies feel. You need to stay tuned in to your body and be willing to stop when your body says stop - even if this means leaving the room half-hoovered or the sink half-full of dirty dishes.

Follow any restrictions your doctor gave you, listen to your body and you'll be fine.
Unread 12-28-2016, 01:03 PM

You might be one of the blessed ones that experiences little pain, but feeling okay doesn't mean you've healed internally. Nor does having been fit pre-op (I was as well). We've had internal incisions where blood vessels, nerves and ligaments were severed as well as where our organs were removed. You can't see what's going on internally, but even a small tear in internal scar tissue can lead to adhesions that can cause issues down the road. Doing Too Much Too Soon can cause setbacks, and that's where staying with your Hysterectomy Restrictions (those are suggestions) can keep us focused.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2016, 06:52 PM

I did everything that you did and was fine. As other posters said, just pay attention to how your body is handling your activity,
Unread 12-28-2016, 07:22 PM

I had my op on the 19th and have done all that you have, I'm very fit and age 44. My doctor told me that I have very few restrictions. He said I was not to sit and watch TV or read but to potter slowly around the house I should be able to drive after three weeks but allow three months for complete recovery
Yesterday I was tired and I did just completely rest and felt better for it
Today I've pottered with light house work and in my garden
Unread 12-28-2016, 11:40 PM

My doctor gave me no restrictions except for sex. If you feel great, continue. But pay attention to signals your body may give you! Today was my best day ever but I still stayed home and got a really good nap in. Yesterday wasn't the best.
Unread 12-30-2016, 12:28 PM

Thank you ladies for all your advice it really has put my mind at rest that I'm actually ok doing what I'm doing as lng as I keep listening to my body. Had a couple of rest days yesterday and today as started to feel like my abdomen was 'pulling' a bit so thought I best take it easy. Does anyone know how long your tummy stays swollen for?? The middle of my abdomen seems huge!! I expected some swelling after such a traumatic procedure but I'm living in my leggings at the minute as my stomachs so big!!! Sorry for all the questions and big hugs xxx
Unread 12-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Re: 12 days post hysterectomy: Am I doing too much???

I had some degree of abdominal swelling for three months after surgery. However, the last month it was really minor and only meant that I had to pop the waistband button of my pants open in the evenings. (I think my pants might be your trousers?)
Unread 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM

lol I wouldn't even dream of trying on my 'trousers' or jeans yet!!! I'm hoping to start back at work on the 9th Jan which will take me to 3 and a half weeks post op I hope it goes down at least a little by then!!! Xxx
Unread 12-30-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonp1 View Post
Thank you ladies for all your advice it really has put my mind at rest that I'm actually ok doing what I'm doing as lng as I keep listening to my body. Had a couple of rest days yesterday and today as started to feel like my abdomen was 'pulling' a bit so thought I best take it easy. Does anyone know how long your tummy stays swollen for?? The middle of my abdomen seems huge!! I expected some swelling after such a traumatic procedure but I'm living in my leggings at the minute as my stomachs so big!!! Sorry for all the questions and big hugs xxx
I wore my jeans on day six, goes to show how different everyone is post op and you can't compair your healing to another's
I had a pineapple size fibroid removed, I weighed 5.5 pounds less when I came out of hospital - so I have a flat tummy with a slight atrophic dip where it was so the opposite

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register