Advil before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advil before surgery? Advil before surgery?

Unread 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Advil before surgery?

Dr. told me in pre-op not to take advil, but surgery is 5 days away. Have back issues-pulled a muscle or something-alot of pain.
Does anyone know how many days before surgery I need to stop? What else can I take until I can call her tomorrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Re: Advil before surgery?

I was told not to take Advil for two weeks prior to surgery. I was told that I could take regular Tynelol.
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks.
Did they tell you why not to take it?
I took one pill last night and one this afternoon.
oh no!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Before the hyster, I had to stop all anti inflamatories (asprin, advil, NSAIDS, etc.) for two weeks. Some have them stopped for 5 days, some for a week, 10 days, it's up to the individual Dr.

Contact your Dr if you have taken them, just to be sure. These drugs thin the blood so excess bleeding can be a problem during surgery and they will be prepared to deal with it or to modify the date, etc.

It is very important to follow all Drs orders for your own safety.

Believe me, I know where you are coming from. I am not able to take my regular meds for arthritis and I am sitting in a great deal of pain and have to work tonight from 11 pm to 3 am.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks , Suzanne.
I hope you can find a way to get through this night working.
Do you think she will want to reschedule? I don't think i can go another round of waiting.
Unread 10-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Yes, surgery can be rescheduled if medications are used that are not suppose to be taken in the days leading up to surgery. The reason is that your life could be endangered because you could create a bleeding issue. Those of us who have dealt with bleeding complications from our hysterectomy can assure you it is not worth the risk!

Please check with your doctor before taking anything other than Tylenol.

s
Unread 10-07-2010, 08:09 PM

Do you think 5 days is enough time not to be worried about bleeding issues? Would you tell me what kinds of bleeding complications you are talking about?
Unread 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

I was taken off of all anti-inflammtories, including Advil, 10-14 days before all my surgeries. However, if your doctor said to stop 5 days prior to surgery, follow your doctor's orders for you.

I was one who ended up with internal bleeding for an unknown reason following my hysterectomy. Instead of a 2 night stay, I was kept for 10 days. I had a huge bulge on the right side of my abdomen from all the blood and was confined to my bed as well as given a blood transfusion. My internal bleeding led to health complications that affected me for several months.

If I had taken Advil in the days prior to surgery, then my situation could have been even more life threatening than it was. There is already enough of a bleeding risk with any surgery and using certain medications and supplements can complicate that risk.

Besides increasing bleeding, some medications and supplements can interact with anesthesia, alter heart function, cause cardiac instability, alter- immunity, impaired healing capabilities, increase drug metabolism, and decreased blood glucose levels. Thus, all of those medications and supplements need to be completely out of your system before heading into OR which is why our doctors ask us what we are taking and tell us what to stop and not stop in the days leading up to our surgeries.

s
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:31 PM

My surgery is October 22nd and my doctor took me off of NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, etc) on Sept 29th. He said 2 weeks is the least amount of time for me to be off but he just gave me Darvocet and said I could take Tylenol if I didn't want to take the Darvocet.

Please let your doctor make that call for you however! Best wishes!
Unread 10-08-2010, 02:15 AM

seas, I did get through the short shift with a Tylenol 3.

I just can't stress enough how important it is to let your Dr know if you have taken the advil. If it does delay the surgery, I know how upset you may be, but this could be your life if there is excess bleeding that they cannot control. Each Dr or hospital seems to have their time limits on the anti inflamatories so your Drs instructions have to be followed to the letter.

I was very tempted tonight, but I am having a colonoscopy on Tuesday and I know there are polyps that have to be removed (she couldn't get them the last time in March so she waited until after the hyster and repairs) and after all I have already been through, I do not want to bleed to death, so I will put up with whatever pain that the Tylenol cannot get rid of. I have 1 more short shift tonight and then am off for the weekend and do my bowel prep on Monday (Thanksgiving Day for us in Canada).

Please understand that this is for your own good and your health.

Hugs,
Suzanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register