D&C Complications--angry! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

D&C Complications--angry! D&C Complications--angry!

Unread 11-07-2013, 04:20 PM
D&C Complications--angry!

I developed an infected uterus from the d&c, which required me to be on antibiotics. This is in addition to the two kinds of IV antibiotics the doctor had me take before the surgery.

Usually I don't do preventative antibiotics prior to surgery due to a history of severe colostridium difficile infection two years ago. However, for some reason, I didn't stop the nurse. They have this way of just coming in and announcing what the dr has prescribed and like an idiot, I just let them hook it up without saying a word.

In addition, I forgot to fortify with probiotics prior to the surgery. As a result of all of this, I appear to have developed c diff, which will require further time off work and is an absolute miserable illness.

Unfortunately, I can't stop taking the doxycycline for the uterine infection because that has to clear. I am already on metronidazole for the c diff, but it doesn't seem to be working. Not sure if that's due to the presence of the doxycycline, or if I have a resistant c diff strain.

So I tried to self-refer to a gastroenterologist, which my insurance allows me to do. However, the two gastros I called both have office policies that primary care docs have to refer people. So I scheduled an appt with my primary doctor for tomorrow, in addition to the follow up with the gyn I have tomorrow.

I am so angry about this situation!!! I'm also mad at myself for not speaking up and then also for forgetting to do my preventative c diff strategies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Re: D&C Complications--angry!

As someone who had an 8 month bout with c-diff, including two relapses, I feel your pain. Mine was from a colonoscopy while my doc was trying to diagnose my pelvic pain. (Which was endometriosis) The Flagyl they prescribed for my very slight case of diverticulitis gave me C-diff. I was very close to having a fecal transplant (not common in the US yet, but with a high success rate). I did a lot of research and found the Mayo Clinic antibiotic taper. My doctor, who was open to my suggestion, prescribed the taper and it worked. Google it. Good luck to you. C-diff is horrible.
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Capitola,

My god how awful! I'm so glad you're feeling better these days!!! C diff is truly traumatizing.

My c diff has gotten much worse in the last 24 hours since they had me start the doxycycline. They tell me now I must finish both courses of meds and do them concurrently, although the metronidazole won't be able to fully do its job with the doxycycline worsening things. Only 6 more days on the doxycycline and then I can truly start recovering from the c diff.

I am also going to ask my doctor tomorrow to consult with a gastro about this whole situation given that I have to be on stuff that worsens the c diff while also taking stuff that improves it. What a mess. I had good luck with the metro before so I'm hoping that will work for me again.

God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:35 AM

I'm sorry you are going through this, especially after what was supposed to be a "routine" procedure. I haven't had c diff but the whole situation sounds very frustrating. I hope both meds are somehow able to do their jobs, so you can recover quickly.
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Greyone, thanks.

I feel like a complete idiot, as I just got a good dose of reality from my gyn, who is an old-school no-nonsense kind of man.

I have been feeling worse and worse. I asked him what he thought about that in light of the antibiotics I was on, one was prescribed by him and one by urgent care.

He said that he thought that there were too many doctors involved in my case (including me as a "doctor"), and that it made it difficult. He said he thought we were over-treating, and treating something that didn't exist (c diff). He thought I was feeling worse because all the antibiotics were killing off all the bacteria in my intestines. He told me to stop all the antibiotics and just eat yogurt.

It makes sense, because when I woke up this morning before I went to see him, I was feeling better, but then a few hours after I took the antibiotic this morning, I started feeling worse and worse, to the point where I started sweating and feeling like I was going to throw up.

I called him when I got home and told him that I had heard and appreciated what he was saying to me and I thanked him for his candor. I am humbled and will try to get out of the way and let my doctors take better care of me in the future.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register