Not Scheduled Nervous about having TAH with young kids at home!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about having TAH with young kids at home!!! Nervous about having TAH with young kids at home!!!

Unread 02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Nervous about having TAH with young kids at home!!!

Hi

Just found out a few days ago that i will be going for a TAH in a couple of months or sooner. I've had a LEEP done in March 2011 for cin 2 and 3. Found out about dysplasia while pregnant with my second son. Scary scary scary!!!! It progressed so fast! From cin 1 to 3 in 6 mths!

Anyway, first pap since LEEP showed cin 1 and 2...ugh! So now i'm going for the TAH as per Doc's recommendation. I have a 4 yr old and a 1yr old at home. I'm a stay at home mom. My husband is the only income. I'm scared about coming home and not being able to take care of my babies! From what i gather this is going to be a long recovery and i'm nervous about taking care of things.
Can i lift my baby (20lbs)? He is still in a crib! ugh...nervous wreck over here! I don't stop running with them all day! Is there anything i can do to make this easier on me? Any advice on how to speed recovery up...lol...can someone snap their fingers for me when i need them and have this all over with!

Thanks
Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Re: Nervous about having TAH with young kids at home!!!

I wish I could help - but mine are not that young. My youngest is 5 and in school. I do know that you are not allowed to lift 20 lbs for quite a while. You are really going to need to get some help especially for the first week - but really for longer if you can. How about family, friends, neighbors.

Good Luck!
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:30 PM

Oh, boy, you're in for a tough one. I am 8 weeks today after my TAH and have to tell you: first 10 days you can barely lift yourself up. Upon leaving hospital doctor told me: first week stay in bed, 10 minutes walks around house, bathroom and back. Second week you can stroll with husband, go to grocery store, carry two pounds apples but not a gallon of milk. Third week carry gallon of milk, nothing else. At six weeks you can go to the gym but walk, not run. I've been making efforts to behave myself, as soon as I tried to lift, stand, sit longer, I got pain and spotting. You need someone with you in the house for at least two weeks. Best wishes !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Thank you so much for responding. I don't know what i'm going to do yet! Should i wait for the surgery? I'm afraid of the after surgery and i'm afraid of not doing it...feel like i'm stuck between two walls and feeling a little claustrophobic!!! I have talked to a friend who is willing to help me. My concern is how my 1yr old will react...he is a huge momma's boy! I nervous about how upset he'll be when i don't pick him up or play on the floor with him for a little while. Gosh...i really have to relax.....my surgery is not even scheduled yet! Thank you so much for your support and i will keep in touch!
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie*76 View Post
Thank you so much for responding. I don't know what i'm going to do yet! Should i wait for the surgery? I'm afraid of the after surgery and i'm afraid of not doing it...feel like i'm stuck between two walls and feeling a little claustrophobic!!! I have talked to a friend who is willing to help me. My concern is how my 1yr old will react...he is a huge momma's boy! I nervous about how upset he'll be when i don't pick him up or play on the floor with him for a little while. Gosh...i really have to relax.....my surgery is not even scheduled yet! Thank you so much for your support and i will keep in touch!
Don't freak out. Good thing you have a friend who's willing to help. Ask her to come by from time to time and bring something cute for the baby (or engage him into playing, laughing). He will associate her presence with something happy and they'll start bonding. Also you might wanna try being very quiet while they are having fun. I am not sure how serious your condition is but not having surgery as to not upset the baby doesn't sound like a great ideea. Maybe you can find another friend, familiy or nanny and you will be covered. Good luck !
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM

I think your recovery will also depend on your physical health before you go in.

I have a 15 lbs weight limit (I'm 17 days post op with TAH). But there is no way I could have managed 15 lbs of baby handling right out of the hospital.

I would recommend that if you have family that can come help you, let them. You'll be in the hospital for a good two days if not longer. After that, you're going to need a least a week of help dealing with your muscles knitting back together.

When my sister had her back surgery two years ago, I sent my 13 year old daughter to help with her 4 year old. Even that was a huge help to my sister. If you're having surgery during spring break, maybe a teenage sitter could come over during the day to help with the kids.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register