children | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-29-2002, 07:36 PM
children

I have an 8 year old dd and a 2 1/2 year old ds. They hate when I travel overnight on business (which is infrequent) so I'm sure their going to be unhappy while I'm in the hospital But, I'm more concerned with how they will deal with my being home the first week and being in bed.
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's been through this with young kids.

tricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 07:41 PM
children

Hi...
Do you have anyone who can help you?...my mother-in-law stayed with us for the first week. My kids are 7 & 9...your 2 y-o will be the hardest.
Unread 10-29-2002, 08:03 PM
children

My dh will be home the first week and he'll take my ds to daycare during the day, but if I'm a blob every evening I know it will be tough for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 10:19 PM
children

Tricia:

Can you put the 8-yo "in charge" of the 2 year old? I know my DD (who was six at the time) was able to do a lot more than I had really expected. She could get her own snacks (and I don't mind melted Muenster cheese on Triscuits, myself!) and was really good at fetching things. And we would sit in the evening, DH making a pot of tea, and do our reading on the sofa. She was also really good company on those short s that all good Princesses are supposed to be taking!

Also, if there is a neighborhood teen (12 - 14) having them over for an hour or so right after school may well help ease that hypoglycemic, horrible time that occurs right after school and before homework .

Good luck! This is actually a really good time to teach everyone about participating in household chores. You never know -- not only might things get divided up more equitably, but it might actually stay that was once you recover.

Audrey
Unread 10-30-2002, 04:48 AM
I was worried about this also

I do have my MIL coming to stay with me the first few days but after that I am on my own. My 3 eldest kids are in school and I have a 3 and 2yo at home who are VERY active. My ds who is 2 is very high maintenance and I just know he will be constantly at my door.

If you can, find someone to help you out and maybe at times you can read a book to your kids and spend time with them that way...what else are you going to do while laying in bed? lol. Ok, besides sleep.

Good luck and hope all works out for the best!
Unread 10-30-2002, 05:18 AM
young kids

My kids are 4 ds and 22 mo dd. My 4 yr old understood when I explained to him that mommy's belly is hurting. He still is real careful about touching me. He also understands about me not picking him up. My dd of course does not understand why mommy can't pick her up. We have put a chair beside the bed so she can climb up on and sit in bed with me. This helped out a lot.

My dh would take kids to daycare and then my mom would pic them up and stay with me until dh came home.

It is very important to have someone there to watch out for the kids and play with them. I have very understanding friends who helped out and would come and sit or bring their kids so everyone could play.

Good luck.
Kimber
Unread 10-30-2002, 05:35 AM
children

Hi

Quote:
My dh will be home the first week and he'll take my ds to daycare during the day, but if I'm a blob every evening I know it will be tough for them.
You are going to have to explain to your kids that you will be a little under the weather for a while. They will have to understand that Dad is going to have to take care of things for a few days (or evenings). Even though you will be in bed a lot, you can watch movies with them, read to them (short stories), and cuddle. You won't be totally out of it. Get lots of rest during the day while they're at school / daycare so you will be able to spend time with them in the evenings.

It will really only be a short while after you get home that you are going to feel like doing absolutely nothing. Get them into the habit NOW of asking Dad to do things for them and with them so it won't seem so different after.
Unread 10-30-2002, 09:12 AM
children

tricia,
You still have a week to teach your 8 year old how to use the microwave and mix juices!!! Mine is going to be a BIG help!! She has already suggested that we get some canned soups, so she can deliver warm meals in bed, has made suggestions as to tv tray placement, and is even suggesting household chores that she can take over. (the whites might get washed with the darks, but at least they'll get washed!) In return, I'll have to listen to her read, snuggle with her in bed, and watch an occasional video of her choice. (DH has promised to get a few new ones, so that we don't have to watch too much of Littlefoot)

As for the 2 year old, explain that you have a big "boo boo " and that you can't pick him/her up until it stops hurting. It may take a few times, but eventually they'll remember. Snuggles in bed (or on the couch) and other ways of letting him know you still love him will help. Also, maybe some of the stories the 8 year old reads could be for the little one, and you can have a "story time" in the big bed, waiting for daddy to come home. Ask every one in the family for their input and suggestions! YOu might be surprised at they come up with!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register