no more periods?...yeah right! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no more periods?...yeah right! no more periods?...yeah right!

Unread 11-02-2002, 07:24 PM
no more periods?...yeah right!

Hi Ladies,
Just updating the mini period situation again. I've noted the date of it on my calendar and if this happens again in '28' days, then I'll know it's to do with my cycle and that this is just something I'll have to deal with. As like yesterday, it's still that brownish discharge but definitely not as much. It's tapered off somewhat. I did not have to where a pad or pantyliner during this experience, I just folded up a square or two of toilet paper and tucked it up there. I agree with Donna (Dtang), it's not a big deal, when you know it's normal and ok, it's just something that lasts a day or two and isn't a huge inconvenience. From reading all the replies, it's comforting to know that others have had this happen to them and that their Dr.'s confirmed that it's normal. Reading that helped ease my mind. So, thanks again hystersisters for the comfort and advice.
Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2002, 12:50 PM

My Dr. told me that if you keep your cervix and/or have any uterine tissue left that you may expereince mild spotting and that it is not at all unusual. I kept my cervix....and I do have mild spotting. I am ten days post op and have had mild pink tinged bleeding.
Unread 11-27-2002, 03:39 PM

out of curiosity... i have no ovaries, and i do have uterus and cervix..i have had three periods pms and allsince my surgery two months ago.
now my doc told me i wouldn't have periods because my ovaries produced that kind of stuff, i am so confused!
i do have an appointment because when i started bleeding i paged and paged him till he got so tired of it he actually called me back.
he said it ws not normal.
and now i am very worried.
i hope that everyone is doing fine...considering...and have3 a wonderful thanks giving
little sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2002, 11:31 AM

Shopkins- This must be quite worrisome for you. I hope the DR can discover what is wrong and get things corrected soon. Let us know what happens, if you don't mind. .
Unread 04-29-2003, 04:56 PM

I know it's been awhile since anyone posted on this thread but I was checking to see if there may be any updates from shopkins or Melly and wanted to this back up.
Unread 04-29-2003, 05:18 PM

Okay, now I'm completely confused about "mini-periods."

I had my uterus/cervix removed and kept my ovaries. Does this mean that because the cervix was also removed, I won't get these?

Tara
Unread 04-29-2003, 05:19 PM

yes, I have learned on this site that if you have a cervix you will bleed. Did they tell you this when you discussed things at pre op? I don't understand why some leave them in. Was it for a medical reason? I am sorry this is happening to you. I bet you never thought you would bleed ever again. I would be upset with my dr if he hadn't told me my options.

s
Unread 04-29-2003, 06:35 PM

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. Thankfully, I found this site before I had my surgery and as a big bleeder I knew I wanted the cervix out. I'm surprised my body hasn't figured out a way to bleed anyway without my cervix. I still have a light amount of discharge even without the cervix in. Leave it to my body to find a way to still discharge. At least it doesn't require pads. I thought I read a post not too long ago about getting the cervix cauterized to stop any future bleeding. Hope you can find something to fix it. Good luck
Unread 04-29-2003, 06:52 PM
cervix,mini periods

melly,

I to have found some valuable information on this web-site and I
also posted a question about the importance or not of the cervix.
I received some great responses and thank goodness I have NOT
had my surgery yet. (Mine in June) I will definitely tell my doctor
to take out my cervix because I don't want the hassle of a period
of any sort, "mini" or not. I hope things get better for you. The
best of luck in your continued recovery.

Drema

Unread 04-29-2003, 09:43 PM

Hi girls,

I had an LSH in January and kept my ovaries and cervix. I have had absolutely NO bleeding since my surgery. If the surgeon removes the endometrial tissue from the cervix, there really is not much chance of having 'mini-periods'.

I opted to keep my cervix for the following reasons that my doctor advised me of:

Cervix out: Significant increase in incidences of bleeding, infection, nerve damage and damage to surrounding organs.

Cervix in: decrease in operative risks and operating time, decreased risk of infection and blood loss, decreased risk of bladder and bowel damage and decreased risk of future organ prolapse (40% with cervix out v.s. 5% with cervix in).

Eileen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register