Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 02, 2017 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 02, 2017 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 02, 2017

Unread 04-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 02, 2017

Scared and keep thinking about being worse after surgery is this the right thing to do, 5 years of lower left side pain, doctor found fibroids and suspects endo due to family history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyG View Post
Hi, DaVinci hyster w/ rectocele & cystocele repair scheduled for Wed AM.
Anxiety popping up & spouse sick w/ bad cold so am afraid I will catch and surgery will have to be postponed (after 4 mo battle w/ my insurance to get approval).
House is a mess and am trying to finish end of month reports for work by tomorrow and get ready to be off work 6wks (at no salary!)
Just lot on my mind and running out of time....
Did get lot of smoothies & meals prepped & frozen (Dr wants me on liquids/ soft foods for 4wks post-op for the rectocele repair) so at least that's out of the way.
Best of luck to everyone w/ surgeries this week! (((hugs!)))
Hi BaileyG. What you are feeling is normal dear . . . you are having a lot done. My surgery was a dvTH/BSO, enterocoele and rectocele repairs and labiaplasty. There are a few things that I found very helpful:
  • Personal wipes are more soothing than tissue
  • Peri bottle for personal cleansing
  • Witch Hazel Spray to use after each trip to the bathroom - helps with soreness
  • Ice Packs . . I soaked pads and froze them. They are just the right size
  • Soft Pillow to sit on . . . not a donut cushion. They create more pressure.

Be sure to wipe everything down to help keep from getting sick. Gargling with salt water and wearing a mask at home would be good too. you will not catch your husband's cold.

on your surgery dear
Unread 04-02-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msraye777 View Post
LAVH with tube removal and hoping to keep both ovaries since I'm 33. We shall see. Scheduled for Thursday am (with endo excision). Really nervous that she wants to send me back to work in 2 weeks when I have a 32 mile commute one way. Mom and sister are coming today to help me clean because I feel like I'm nesting all over again. I just don't feel like 2 weeks is enough. Glad to have this group.
msraye777. We all heal at different rates. My surgery was laparoscopic also. I have had a number of surgeries and I was sure I could go back at 2 weeks and begged my URO/GYN. She just looked at me and said "honey, you don't understand how tired you are going to be" . . . she was right. No matter what type of job you have, going back at 2 weeks is not easy. Laparoscopic surgery is still major surgery . . . you are having the same things done on the inside and your body needs to heal. And . . . that is a long commute. If you are not ready to go back at 2 weeks, don't hesitate talking to your doctor about taking more time off.

Best wishes dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybennet View Post
Hi everyone, I'm from the UK so I think some of the terminology is different. I am having a total hysterectomy, but hopefully keeping ovaries, on the 5th Apr. This is due to continued abnormal smears (pap tests??) and colposcopies. I'm 35 and have two children. Really, really anxious! And doing an enhanced recovery programme with low residue diet just now which is making me feel pretty ill in itself! Bag is pretty much packed and cleaning the house tomorrow. Good luck and best wishes to you all. X

Hi Lizzie, I'm in the UK too, I'm 37 and I go in on Thursday morning for robotic/lap/vaginal total hysterectomy and BSO.... I'm getting very anxious and so is my little girl (7) which I'm struggling to deal with. So many mixed feelings at the moment. X
Unread 04-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 02, 2017

I'm having an abdominal hysterectomy with tubes removed tomorrow April 3rd at 6am. I'm super nervous, but I have a lot of support. My best friend is flying in tonight to stay with us for the next week so she can help my husband and 3 small kids keep their routines. Deep breaths.
Unread 04-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccurlywho View Post
Good morning sisters!
Surgery is Tuesday April 4th... I'm 54 and having daVinci lap assisted vag hysterectomy with BSO. I have VERY LARGE ovarian cysts that have lead to this... process has been about 3 months coming and even though "I can't wait" I am scared to Death! Yesterday was the first day I think it really hit me and I had a mini breakdown... I'm better now but think it is just so much of the unknown... have done so much reading and research I feel like an expert now... Haha but the colon prep? the anesthesia? The surgery? The post op pain and recovery? When can I REALLY get back to running? I have a great support system and my hubby has been amazing but...
I will be thinking of and praying for my fellow sisters this week and just think this time next week we will all be concentrating on our road to recovery!

Hugs and happy blessings!
Hi Ccurlywho. It is normal to be anxious before surgery. Take a deep breath dear . . . you can do this. I know the bowel prep is not on your list of favorite things to do but it really isn't that bad. If you are drinking your prep, drink it cold and straight down. The anesthesia has always been what I hate most. I talked to the anesthesiologist before my hysterectomy and he changed up the meds . . . I had the best experience I have ever had. Don't hesitate to let him know your fears . . . they can also give you something to calm you when you get there. The goal of your medical team will be to keep your pain controlled . . . be sure to let them know what level it is when they ask. We all heal at different rates . . . getting back to running will depend on the procedure you have done, your over all health, and how well you are healing. The important thing is to make sure you have healed. It is very important to not start until you have been released to do so. You only have one chance to heal right the first time.

Bowel Prep Before Hysterectomy
Do This - Not That: Bowel Prep Tips
Anesthesia | Talking to the Anesthesiologist before Your Hysterectomy
Pain Management After Hysterectomy

Best wishes on your surgery.
Unread 04-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenfield View Post
Good Morning Everyone, My name is Laurén from Ca. I am 30 and scared! Going in for my full Hysterectomy (still hoping to keep my ovaries) on Wednesday April 5th.. I have 2 young boys, recovery will be a challenge! This site has been AMAZING!! My "to-do" list today is long... Not sleeping much, anxiety has taken over..
laurenfield. Hello dear . . . it is very normal to be anxious before surgery. Take a deep breath . . . you can do this. When you check in, be sure to let them know how anxious you are and they can give you something to help calm you.

I know Recovery With Small Children can be challenging. Do you have a friend or family member who could help you for a bit. My 2 sons were little when I had my first prolapse surgery . . . I totally understand.

So glad HS has been a help to you . . . if you don't get everything done on your list it will be ok, honest. Do what you can and try not to worry about the rest.

Love to you dear.
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 02, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachybluebabe View Post
Hi pre op ladies,

11 days post op. Very normal to be anxious and scared about this procedure. On the other side to say the hardest is the waiting. Want you to know you can do it and it's fast. Doctors, nurses, and hospital staff take good care of you. Please do not be a martyr and fight with the pain. Stay ahead of it. Treasured possessions are pillow for car, coughing, stool softener, laxative, and grabber. Let people help you. Truthfully here to say I am doing great and each day is a little easier but rest when your body tells you. Two weeks is not long enough for recovery.
Peachybluebabe
Thank you so much. You have put my mind at ease. How long did you stay in the hospital?
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisey1980 View Post

Hi Lizzie, I'm in the UK too, I'm 37 and I go in on Thursday morning for robotic/lap/vaginal total hysterectomy and BSO.... I'm getting very anxious and so is my little girl (7) which I'm struggling to deal with. So many mixed feelings at the moment. X
lisey1980. I know it is hard for a child to understand you having surgery and she is scared. Here is an article to help you explain your surgery to her. She will be ok dear, honest . . . she loves you and wants you to be ok.

Explaining Your Hysterectomy to Your Child

Unread 04-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybennet View Post
Hi everyone, I'm from the UK so I think some of the terminology is different. I am having a total hysterectomy, but hopefully keeping ovaries, on the 5th Apr. This is due to continued abnormal smears (pap tests??) and colposcopies. I'm 35 and have two children. Really, really anxious! And doing an enhanced recovery programme with low residue diet just now which is making me feel pretty ill in itself! Bag is pretty much packed and cleaning the house tomorrow. Good luck and best wishes to you all. X
Sending you I know it can be hard when you are Coping with Anxiety and Fear before your surgery. Take a deep breath . . . you can do this dear. When you check in be sure to let them know how anxious you are and they can give you something to calm you. You will be on the other side soon.

Remember we are here for you.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register