Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests? Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests?

Unread 01-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests?

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question. I have recently developed what my GP refered to as a "prolapse", he drew me a diagram showing how the bulge from inside my rectum is pushing into the wall of the vagina and was very specific about it. I have a bulge that can clearly be seen in the entrance of my vagina and often feel sore "down below" or as if my innards are falling out!! My GP said he had not seen this level of prolapse in someone who had never had children and was quite preplexed. I was referred to the Gynae that did my hysterectomy who said it isn't a prolapse, rather I have a "healthy degree of laxity of the bladder" and he thinks I may have developed an "overactive bladder" - one of my symptoms is gradual daily leakage of urine throughout the day. I tried inserting a tampon to see if that stopped the irritation and made me feel less like things were falling out and when I removed it, it was covered in bright yellow urine on the lower half. I also sometimes leak what looks a bit like "fecal matter" which is a bit worrying. When the GP did an internal it really hurt and he said he could definately feel something and I may have scar tissue/adhesions. The gynae pretty much shrugged it off saying women should not examine themselves down below as they will find all sorts of things going on? He did press on one area and I thought I was going to wet myself even though I had completely emptied my bladder just moments before. He is arranging Urodynamic tests for me and thinks I will not need any repair surgery but I may be able to be treated with tablets? He thinks some of my issues are related to my gastro problems - I have haemorrhoids too and can see a bulge coming out of my back passage as well!! - Luckily, I have an appointment with the gastroenterologist on Jan 5th so I can discuss that with her then.

I know I said this would be a quick question, but I have ended up rambling on again - sorry guys. What I wondered was, can rectoceles/cystoceles be diagnosed by urodynamic tests? I do worry slightly that the gynae is playing the situation down to cover himself as I did point out to him before my op that I suffer from a connective tissue disorder and he was very dismissive about it and said I may just be prone to prolapses in the future!! Just to complicate things further, it was recently discovered (since my hyst) that I have 4 kidneys and 4 ureters and my GP thinks that I may have urine entering my bladder at different times through the different ureters or overfilling it as my bladder may have shrunk from the trauma of the hysterectomy.

If anyone can share any experiences or info they may have regarding similar problems I would be very grateful. I am sorry if I have repeated myself slightly from any of my previous posts, but things are very confusing at the moment for me health wise and I would like to go into the urodynamic tests knowing what sort of things they can be looking for and how they can help.

Happy New Year to you all!!

Sue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 06:11 AM

Hi!

Yes. Cystocele can be diagnosed during the Uro test. The tech said I had a very mild one. Not sure about recto. I'm betting they can though.

Not sure, but with leaking urine and fecal matter on the tampon sounds like it could be a fistula.

God Bless
Joanne
Unread 01-03-2005, 05:00 PM

I am having urodynamic testing this Thursday. I really don't know what to expect. Can anyone help me?
I have very little urge to urinate. I feel I leak a little at times when bending over or standing. My gyn ordered me this test because I am supposed to have posterior repair done Jan. 25th. I didn't tell him about this problem when he scheduled my surgery last week. I think he is a little upset with me and I deserve it. I just can't hardly accept the fact that more may be wrong with me than the rectocle/enterocele. He says I could need bladder repair and it all needs to be done at one time.
I feel I may have a cystocele since I have the other 2 prolapses already. Can't a cystocele push against the ureteres to take away the urge? I think I also feel a bulge on the top of my vagina. Could I possibly have a cystocele and bladder problems? My bladder dis have adhesions sticking it and my uterus together. It took 1 extra hour to seperate them.
I also have weak abdominal muscles. I had physical therapy 5 years ago for 2 months, 3 times a week to try to strengthen them, because I had a back injury.
Any info and support would be greatly appreciated.

HUGS to all of you
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Smile - Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests? Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests?

Gosh, it sounds to me like you should go see a second gynecologist, one who is strongly recommended or who has really superior training. It does sound like you are talking about a fistula--and regardless of what the gyn says, YOU KNOW your own body and if things don't seem right to you, you keep going until you are listened to and get your questions answered. I mean, honestly! Any physician who tells a woman "not to look/touch down there" is an idiot!
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:51 AM

Oh, one more thing, sue new, and that is that when you said the doctor "was a little upset with you and you deserved it" I disagree--HE should have fully evaluated YOU before he did the surgery. It is HE who should know about rectocele, cystocele, fistula, and so on. HE is the one who should have done a complete exam to find out exactly what you needed done. It isn't like you said, "I want a face lift" and you also wanted an eye job but just didn't mention it--we are talking about PROBLEMS here, not just superficial aesthetics. Anyway, your post really made me feel bad for you, especially with the way you are being "handled". You DO have some anatomic anomalies that you want to fully understand (duplicate kidneys and ureters) so make sure you have a good doc working with you at all turns. I wish you the best.
Unread 01-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Smile - Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests? Can a cystocele/rectocele be diagnosed during Urodynamic Tests?

Dear Neone,

Thank you for your words of support. I think you may have got mine and Peggy's posts mixed up though. It was Peggy who thought her gynae was a little upset with her for not mentioning the bladder issues, although, now I come to think of it, it does feel as though my gynae is upset/fed up with me and like he dismissed my connective tissue disorder, he also dismissed my duplicate kidney system as well.

Dear Peggy,

You poor thing, as you know I have been following your story too and like me you have been through so much, I really do sympathise/empathise with you. I am pleased though that your tests have been arranged so quickly. Please let me know how you get on, I will be keen to hear how they go for you and what if anything they reveal.

I have been having rectal bleeding again today. I did a tot up of all the times it happened last year and I was bleeding on and off from the rectum for over a month!! I see the gastro doc tomorrow and I am going to spend some time now writing down all my symptoms that I think may be connected to this issue. Trouble is, I don't know what is being caused by the bladder, kidneys or bowel, it all gets so confusing.

Thanks again for your replies though ladies!!

Sue.
Unread 01-04-2005, 12:52 PM

hi Sue
I think she was mixed up with it being me instead of you. I should have told my gynae. all of this before he scheduled me for my surgery. He wasn't at all rude to me or anything. I think more shocked that something else may be going on. He said my Jan 25th surgery may need to be pushed back, but isn't cancelling it yet. I got in for the testing sooner than he expected I think.I had no trouble urinating for months after my hyst. I really believe I have developed a cystocele along with the other 2 prolapses. Hopefully that is all the testing will show. It seems the days I am off of work and off of my feet more the less trouble I have urinating. I will be sure to tell the dr. this Thursday. Pressure seems to be my problem.

I hope your appt. goes well at the gasto. tomorrow. I write things down too, because I will forget to mention them.I hope you get feeling better soon!

Peggy
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:11 PM

Hi Peggy,

I also find that my bladder problems are not so bad if I can keep my feet up or lie down. I had been signed off work lately with what is happening here and my back and neck problems and the leakage and discomfort down below has eased a bit. I did a full day's work today and my underwear is all damp again and by the end of the day the bulges from my front and back passages are more prominent.

Take care, and good luck with your input/output chart.

Sue.
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:21 PM

Hi Peggy, it's Sue again,

I have recently noticed that I have two bulges in the front passage, a smooth, round one at the bottom as I look in the mirror which moves upwards and closer to the opening if I cough or bear down and one that seems to be connected to the top opening that is less smooth (almost wrinkly) and has recently developed a hole in it!! Does that sound familiar to you at all?

I know I am being extremely graphic here and for that I truly apologise but I do not know who else to explain this to or to share this information with. One time when I was looking down below I beared down as if going to the toilet and a stream of urine came out of the bulge!! I don't know if this confirms that what I am seeing is my bladder or the bladder neck or urethra.

I will definately mention this to the nurses who perform the urodynamics tests when I finally get my appointment. The NHS in the UK does not work as fast as the U.S system I am afraid, and I may be waiting some time.

Best wishes,

Sue.
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:45 PM

I have that same thing when i have a bowel movement ihave to push up so all of my stool comes out i have that bulge i told my doc and he said take stool softners i go back in a year hopefully it will get better (wishful- thinking) i have heard women having that for years, dosent sound okay to me i think it needs repair work but iam not ready for any kind of surgery mentally!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register