CONTEST: Win an EndoFemm® - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

CONTEST: Win an EndoFemm® CONTEST: Win an EndoFemm®

Unread 12-02-2008, 03:56 PM
The Gift That Keeps on Giving

I'm 45 years old now, but from the time I was about 5 or 6 years old, all I wanted for Christmas was my very own record player. Thankfully, my much older siblings cautioned Santa that a toy record player was a complete waste because the listening choices would be limited to the "discs" created for the system.

On Christmas day I leaped into the living room and ran over to the biggest box under the tree. To my dismay, the package was not addressed to me. The entire family seemed to take pleasure in my desperate search under the tree and the obvious disappointment that followed. Convinced that my wish had been overlooked, I reluctantly opened a card with my name on it which was leaning against a bowl of oranges. Inside, there was a hand-drawn cartoon of a hippie lounging on a couch wearing headphones, (courtesy of my very own hippie brother). Confused, I just stared at the picture looking for a secret message or something. He screamed, "Turn it over!" On the back of the card it said, "you can have my record player and my speakers and if you clean up the dog poop, you can have some of my albums too. You're welcome."

Sure, kids today would probably be insulted by a hand-me-down gift with strings attached, but I felt like I had just won the lottery! I used to sit outside my brother's closed bedroom door to sneak a listen to his rebellious taste in music; The Doors, Hendrix, Cream, The Beatles, etc., and I would imagine that I was invited to a concert by someone in the band. I know it sounds like a groupie in the making--but it was all about being closer to the music. My brother had given me the best present in the world. The fact that he was giving me his prized possession, made it even more special.

Thirty years later, when I told him that his selfless sacrifice was my greatest Christmas memory ever, he started laughing. "Only YOU would be happy to get an old record player with blown speakers and a bunch of scratched records." Okay, so I'm a tad sentimental. BTW: his wife told me that he still has the drawing of a motorcycle that I gave him as a present that very same Christmas. Coincidentally, his favorite "toy" continues to be a Harley and my musician husband replaced all those scratched records with re-digitized recordings--his Christmas present to me several years ago. And, I didn't even have to clean up any dog poop!

Whatever your most vivid childhood memory of a toy might be, it's usually attached to the realization that someone wanted to see you smile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Favorite Toy "Contest"

My favorite toy was the Barbie Doll. My grandma made all these wonderful gown that had beads, crystals etc. They all shined and fit tight on the Barbie Doll. One Christmas my sister's and I go a bunch of Barbie Furniture (made of cardboard) and we would play with them for hours! I'm 51 years old.
Unread 12-02-2008, 05:24 PM
CONTEST: Win an EndoFemm®

I am 28 and my favorite toy was my Cabbage Patch Doll I had received it when I was 10. My daddy had gave it to me 2 days before he passed from cancer. He gave me the doll, clothes, and accessories..(I was an only child). I still have the doll and her birth certificate. My daughter has her in a glass case on her bedroom dresser. It is amazing how good toys were made when we were young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2008, 06:37 PM

I'm 42 and I can remember my favorite toy was a doll named Small Talk. I got her when I was about 3. I took her everywhere I went. She had a pull string behind her neck and I would pull her string and pretend we were talking to each other. I have a picture of myself with that doll and remember the day my older sister tore her head off. I was mortified!
About four years ago I found an identical doll on ebay and snatched it right up!
Unread 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlsmith1
I loved my Velvet and Chrissy dolls. They had hair that you could pull out and make longer, and a dial on their stomachs to shorten their hair. I had more fun doing various hairstyles!

Exactly my 2 favorite dolls..I still have my Chrissy doll with the long reddish hair and orange lace dress, but her shoes are missing..lol
Unread 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Red face - CONTEST: Win an EndoFemm® My favorite toy was/is still a Madame Alexander Baby Doll

My favorite toy was and still is a 18" Madame Alexander Baby Doll. My sister and I each received a doll on the Christmas of my 5th birthday. I still have mine and she will be 44years old this Christmas. My sister didnt cherish her doll as I did. However, my best friends baby sister fell in Love with that doll and with my sisters permission, I gave the doll to her when she was also 5years old. To this day it, too remains her favorite doll. I have continued the tradition with my daughter as well. She received her doll when she was just 3- and she is nearly 18years old. Her Doll is right next to mine safe and sound in their baby crib. Im still a little girl at heart!
Unread 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM

My favorite childhood toy was a 6 foot yellow gorilla someone made me. It was flat like a blanket but thick like a thin matress. I curled up on it for MANY years watching tv, reading and at times I would pick it up and dance with it. Oh the memories. I was 4 or 5 when I got it.
Unread 12-02-2008, 08:04 PM

I am 54 yrs old and I have several favorite toys from childhood. A Baby Dear baby doll - came with footed sleeper pj's, soft body, plastic arms, legs and head. I too had a Chatty Cathy doll that I dearly loved. Mine came with a blue sundress with a white overblouse. Stanta brought her a whole wardrobe. I later found out the clothes were sewn by my mom while I was in school. My brother and I shared a room until I was 6, we had bunkbeds, and we would lay in our beds at night and take turns guessing what saying she'd say when I pulled her string. I also remember Debbie Reynolds paper dolls being a favorite, as were my Barbie dolls. Always fun to think back to many favorites of childhood. Toys these days just aren't like they were back in the 50's and 60's.
Unread 12-02-2008, 08:07 PM

I will soon be 49.
I remember living at the house that my family lived in when i was 2 years old until i was 4 years old...Santa brought me a 'nurse' play set.
It came with a patient, which was a baby doll that closed her eyes when she was laying down, a baby doll bed, a nurse hat-arm band-thermometer(about 6 inches long with red half way up..I don't remember if there were numbers on it)-a sponge and pan to give baths-a medicine bottle(it had medicine written on it-at least that is what Mom told me it said)-and a doctors bag that had 'Nurse' written on it. I have a picture somewhere of this....I will try to find it and post it here......
I remember playing with that set alot. I 'doctored' everyone.
My favorite memory of this was when my mother had a cold and she let me give her some kind of liquid medicine while I had my Nurse stuff on. She quickly got over her cold and I remember she told my Father it was because Santa Claus had given me a nurse set for christmas and I was such a good nurse.
My mother and father both remember this...they said they always wanted me to be a nurse after Santa brought me this set.
I remember when Mom would make me take a nap during the day I would lay down beside my 'patient' after I had given her some medicine and took her temperature. As soon as she layed down she would go to sleep...this somehow made me think I should close my eyes too.
My mother had it way too easy!!! haha
Unread 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM

I have another favorite that I thought about earlier after writing the first one. I don't remember how old I was when I got my first Slinky but I remember falling in love with it. Making it "walk" up and down the steps and just playing with it. I am 28 now and both of my kids have one. I still get enjoyment out of playing with them.. I guess I am still a kid.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register