My big list...surgery 4 weeks from now - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My big list...surgery 4 weeks from now My big list...surgery 4 weeks from now

Unread 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Re: My big list...surgery 4 weeks from now

You mentioned sleeping in the recliner... that is what I did the first night (but I only had to be in the hospital one night). The gas they blew my stomach up with settled in my shoulders and I thought I was going to lose my mind from the pain. Tried laying down the first night at the hospital... no go... tried laying down the first night home... wayyyy no go... so the recliner, with two pillows and my teddy was the way... second night home, made it to bed, but was still sitting up... probably should have stayed in the recliner, but I missed my DH so I went to bed.

Good luck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpack1 View Post
You mentioned sleeping in the recliner... that is what I did the first night (but I only had to be in the hospital one night). The gas they blew my stomach up with settled in my shoulders and I thought I was going to lose my mind from the pain. Tried laying down the first night at the hospital... no go... tried laying down the first night home... wayyyy no go... so the recliner, with two pillows and my teddy was the way... second night home, made it to bed, but was still sitting up... probably should have stayed in the recliner, but I missed my DH so I went to bed.

Good luck!!!!
My dr said that with my surgery he does not plan on filling me with gas but said I could take gas x anyway, even though he did not think I would need it. I just want to be prepared. I really hope that getting up and moving around and just being alive does not hurt as much as I fear it will!!
Unread 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Today, on my usual run to Wal-Mart for groceries, I picked up extra cotton undies and a new pair of Hanes sweats for post-op/at home. I have tons of hair elastics for pony-tails if I need to do that. Here's a funny; my best pair of slippers have buttons on the toes/front that are shaped like Christmas Trees. (Isotoner slippers). Those are going with me to the Castle; I don't care what anybody thinks! *lol*
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:53 PM

My first night home, I did what my Grandma used to call a spit bath.

Second night home, I went to Mom's for a visit. DH wanted to go to a local game & Mom was feeling unnecessary, since she's partially disabled. Worked well for everyone. That night, I took advantage of her shower, including chair & hand sprayer.

The next night, I was ok with our tub/shower without a chair. I just put my hand on the wall for balance & washed with the other hand.
Unread 11-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk100 View Post
My dr said that with my surgery he does not plan on filling me with gas but said I could take gas x anyway, even though he did not think I would need it. I just want to be prepared. I really hope that getting up and moving around and just being alive does not hurt as much as I fear it will!!
You will still want to have the Gas-X available. The air they pump in goes between the organs during lap type surgeries. It is to separate the organs for the equipment. The Gas-X only works on the natural gasses produced in the bowel as a byproduct of digestion.
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk100 View Post
I do have heating pad and a body pillow already. Forgot to add those to the list before
I am really nervous about getting in and out of bed...I might see how that goes and maybe plan on sleeping in the recliner for awhile....the way the bed is situated it will be hard to work in a chair or stool to the decor.

I have a recliner to lounge in post surgery too. BUT I remember after my previous surgery I had a lot of edema in my legs & arms... actually I was pretty much swelled up like a water balloon everywhere. The recliner I had post-surgery that time was comfortable at first but it had one of those bars between the seat and the foot rest and it pressed into the back of my calves. After the first couple days it hurt really bad to sit down; to the point where I actually sobbed at the thought of sitting down. Suggestion if you have a recliner like that to have some sort of padding between the back of your legs and that bar. Even though the recliner I have now isn't quite the same as the last one I'll be putting a pillow under my knees so I don't have that experience again.
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:56 AM

Thanks everyone! I don't think my recliner has a bar, but if I start feeling just the teenyest bit uncomfy I will grab for a pillow for sure! I do intend on gas-xing every chance I get, the less pain the better I always say!
I am worried about the shower, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
I just need to remember that it is all temporary, and in a short time I will be feeling wonderful.
Everyone I have ever talked to said that their hyst was the best thing they ever did,,I need to remember that!
Mammogram today...pre op a week from Thursday...and Dec 1 is showtime!
Unread 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpack1 View Post
I took comfy PJs and crocs/slippers to the hospital. I was NOT staying in one of those horrid gowns all night.
brought panties and socks
Brought several panty liners... I ended up changing it every few hours so I'm glad I brought several. Didn't have heavy bleeding... just didn't want anything "dirty" near me.

And thanks all for not laughing about my bear... my husband just shook his head, but he carried it from the car to my room and just let me be. I kept it in the recliner with me the first night I slept there and in bed once I finally made it to bed... it was soft yet firm enough to lay on or position to keep my belly from "hanging" as I moved... it was a great comfort. When I had to drive 6 days later, I drove with it under my seat belt again. Finally after about a week I didn't "need" the security blanket of the teddy anymore so he has a special spot on desk :-)
It is nice to get all the wonderful ,ideas on here!! My date for the Castle visit is 12-14-10.(BSO daVinci) 33 Days from today.
I had pillow on my list. When I read your post Brainstorm!!!, my hustband gave me a beautiful bear for Valentines Day last year. Big, soft cuddly. After I read your post I jumped up ran to my room grabbed him up, perfect!! That's one thing off my list. AND I think my hubby will be tickled when I take it with me since he gave it to me, Says I Luv U on it!!
Brownie points.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register