Serious pain in right rib cage on day 5 after DVtoTAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Serious pain in right rib cage on day 5 after DVtoTAH Serious pain in right rib cage on day 5 after DVtoTAH

Unread 05-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Serious pain in right rib cage on day 5 after DVtoTAH

Good Morning All-
Had a great day Sunday-went to Target to buy a pair of stretchy shorts to wear with the leg cath attachment, then had lunch with my sister-in-law. Tired when I got home, so I rested on the couch for the rest of the day and evening. When I went to bed, I was having a hard time getting comfortable and all of a sudden I had a sharp pain in my upper rib cage-felt like I was being stabbed or something! Figured I over-did it by going out and kept trying to situate myself comfortably. DH finally went downstairs to sleep...
At 1:00 pain was unbearable unless I was sitting up-called the doc and was instructed to take my oxycodone (duh-didn't even think of that!) and put a heating pad on the area. Went downstairs and situated myself on the couch, surrounded by pillows for support and that seemed to help. Oxycodone knocked me out, but I was in and out all night...pain is slightly better this morning.
Anyone else have anything like this? I did have really bad shoulder and upper chest pain right after surgery that was attributed to the positioning during surgery and the CO2 they pump you full of, but that seemed to go away...maybe this is related to that? Or I pulled something? Calling the doc again, to see if I can go in for a check...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Re: Serious pain in right rib cage on day 5 after DVtoTAH

You surgery was just 5 days ago, and from what your symptoms are i would say it is gas.

I had my gallbladder removed over 11 years ago and every now and then i get really bad gas pains. The best thing for me is to use a heating pad, or walk around while moving my hips (shake that butt).

I know you can get GAS X~most of the ladies here suggest it. (ask your doctor first)

Why did your surgery go from DV to TAH if you do not mind me asking??
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Re: Serious pain in right rib cage on day 5 after DVtoTAH

Hi daisyforest-
Thanks for your reply! Turns out, it was EXACTLY what you said, including the gall bladder! As my doc was checking me, she pushed right where the gall bladder is and I almost went through the roof! Voila! We talked about what I ate yesterday and discovered that it was the most "normal" food I've had in almost a week-and the half a hamburger was probably just a little too fatty for my slowed down digestive system to process-resulting in crazy gas and gall bladder pain.
I'm MUCH better tonight-slept for 2.5 hours this afternoon and took it very easy today-yogurt and an english muffin and a sliver of carrot cake to celebrate my darling daughter & husbands' 21st & 51st birthdays this evening!
The reason they had to finish with a TAH is because at the VERY END of the DVH, they nicked my bladder and had to do a repair-via an abdominal incision! Oh well-it's not the outcome I wanted, but it happened-and all things considered, I'm healing nicely and in the end, it will be awesome! My husband is more upset about it than I am-I just got into a really calm place before the surgery and the only outcome I expected was that my fibroid filled uterus was going to finally be gone-that was all I cared about! Again-thanks for your reply-now I know what gall bladder pain feels like-one more reason to eat a better diet!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register