Nervous about total hysterectomy on 3/6/15 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about total hysterectomy on 3/6/15 Nervous about total hysterectomy on 3/6/15

Unread 02-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Nervous about total hysterectomy on 3/6/15

I am having a total abdominal hysterectomy on 3/6/15. I am 43 years old, I have had issues with my period, fibroids, cysts, etc since I was a teenager. My D&C came back very abnormal and I wound up in the hospital with a uterine infection & sepsis from the D&C. I went to a different OB/GYN for a second opinion and she is doing the hysterectomy. I have three-four fibroids, a tumor growing in my uterus and cysts on at least one of my ovaries. I am so hoping to save the other one, but I have POS and am wondering if I should let her take both of them while she is in there. My uterus is so swollen that it is pushing on the other organs and has made my lower back painful. Is that normal? I am so scared of having the hysterectomy and yet will also be grateful if it brings relief and gets rid of the constant bleeding & pain. I will be in the hospital for at least three days. When I was in the hospital they gave me doxycycline through an IV and fried my veins. The nurses, etc cannot find a vein to get blood from, no less put in an IV. I am wondering about asking for a pic line for the procedure, since I don't have any good veins? I blew out three-four IV's while in the hospital. Thoughts? I am scared of the recovery. I am a very slow healer and am concerned about the recovery time. I have 12 steps to go up and down to my bedroom. Should I plan to stay up there for the first few days after getting home? What is the abdominal binders, etc that are mentioned on here? The doctor is also going to make sure all of my other organs are "ok" after the sepsis attacked them and the uterus pushing on them. I am nervous about the incision site, etc. Will I have to have the dressing changed once I come home from the hospital? Sorry this is so long, I'm just a nervous wreck. I do see OB/GYN later today and figure I will bombard her as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Re: Nervous about total hysterectomy on 3/6/15

Hi. I'm 42 and also have PCOS. I'm having TAH and BSO on March 16.

I've had constant -minute by minute- uterine cramping since July of 2014. Last fall I started getting cysts again. (I haven't had any since my early 20s.)

I'm gladly getting rid of all these $&@#%*# organs that don't work, never have, and never will.

I've a 5 yr old son (adopted) who deserves a healthy, pain-free Mama.

I deserve to be pain free. So do you!!!

Making the decision to keep or remove both ovaries can be scary. After all the other information, it came down to whether I'd be scared of HRT. however, with the way my system doesn't work, that is really what I have been using BC for during the past 23 years. So, I'm kinda just switching methods.

Anyway, this is my experience and my decision. I wish you much luck in making your own. Many prayers that you come to your decision easily!
Unread 02-24-2015, 06:44 PM

Hi rcross0,
I'm sorry you have experienced so many complications with your D&C and IVs.
Many sisters are nervous about surgery and what recovery will be like, so what you are feeling is normal. Although everyone's recovery is different, I will try to provide some information based on my experiences.

I had a TAH with about a 6" vertical incision closed with staples and had both ovaries and tubes removed. My surgery was due to an enlarged uterus and fibroid. All of this was pressing on my bladder and I imagine other organs as well. All the pressure on my bladder was causing me to have to go frequently. So I imagine it is possible that your lower back pain could be due to your enlarged uterus.

I live in a house of stairs. To even enter the house, I have to go up 5 stairs. Then up another flight of stairs to get to my bedroom and the shower that didn't require stepping into a tub to use was up another flight of stairs. I asked my doctor about going up and down the stairs at my pre-op. I was allowed to use the stairs carefully and as tolerated. The first few days at home I probably only went up and down once a day, maybe twice at most. I took the stairs slowly and was careful not to slip and fall. As time passed, my trips increased.

I didn't use an abdominal binder, but many do and like them. I think they provide abdominal support. Someone else my be able to give a better description.

My surgery was on a Tuesday afternoon and I spent 2 nights in the hospital. The dressing covering my incision was removed Thursday morning. I was also allowed to shower that morning. That afternoon the staples were removed and steri-strips were placed on my incision before I was discharged from the hospital. I removed the steri-strips 8 days later.

The decision to keep or remove your ovaries is a personal decision. From my experience surgical menopause is not the least bit fun, but after starting HRT things have gotten better for me. Some have difficulty finding the right HRT balance and it is a trial and error process. I've attached hyperlinks to 2 articles to provide some info for you. In the end, it is a decision only you can make. Research your options, talk to your doctor, and make the best informed decision that seems best to you.

Should I Have an Oophorectomy (Removal of the Ovaries) with My Hysterectomy?

Should I Keep My Healthy Ovary?

As you await your surgery, spend time getting your house clean, your nest set up, stocked up on groceries, meals made and frozen. Also try to relax. Distract yourself by trying to stay busy. Also do something that you enjoy doing.

Best wishes for your surgery and an uneventful recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2015, 07:57 PM

Hi rcross0 to HysterSisters!

All of your emotions are very normal. This is a very overwhelming experience.

I had a TAH BSO, with a 6-inch vertical incision. Mine was sealed with surgical glue. The dressing came off in the hospital after about one day in the hospital (I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days). I was told to leave the incision alone and not bother it. It healed just fine, and there was no care required for it at home.

Keeping your ovaries is a very personal decision. Talk to your doctor about the pros and cons of keeping your ovaires given your particular situation. I did not have a choice, and lost both of mine. I would have kept them if I could have. Surgical menopause for me was MISERABLE. I am on HRT, and it has given me my life back. But it is not the same as having my own hormones.

Talk to all of your doctors about your vein issues. They will need to know what happened and what is going on so they can take measures.

Regarding stairs, I did not have any problems with them. Our bedroom and a bathroom are upstairs, the kitchen and living room are on a level below that, and our family room and bathroom are down another set of stairs. I just took the stairs very slow, and if DH was home he walked beside me.

Regarding a binder, I never felt like I needed one, but some women swear by them. It is truly a personal choice.

Above all, know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register