exercise/weight training | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

exercise/weight training exercise/weight training

Unread 05-06-2004, 03:02 PM
exercise/weight training

Can anyone tell me about how long I can expect to be off weight training and exercising? I know everyone is different, but if anyone out there enjoys these things maybe you can tell me how long it took you. This is such a great place to gather and give information, I am so lucky I found this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2004, 03:39 PM
exercise/weight training

Depending on what you're having done, I think you can go back to it in 6-8wks. However, I am planning to walk alot during that time and lift maybe 3 lb free wts. (sitting at first) for upper body.
Unread 05-06-2004, 03:40 PM
exercise/weight training

I had a LAVH BSO April 8th. At my post op visit April 20th the DR released me for any type of exercise. I questioned him about weight training and he gave me the green light. I attended my circuit class 2 weeks after surgery and had no problems, although I did reduce the weights on some of the machines. I retured to step aerobics the following week and played tennis 3 weeks after surgery. I have been shocked by my speedy recovery and give all credit to my surgeon. I think when and how you return to activities depends on the type of surgery you had and what you body tells you. I have tried very hard to be aware of how I am feeling while running or lifting weights and adjust accordingly although I must admit I have had no discomfort from any of these activities. I wish you a speedy recovery and a quick return to exercise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
exercise/weight training

That's fantastic! It also helps a great deal to be in good shape before surgery. I know from past surgery that you recover faster.

Mine will be a TAH/LSO, so I won't be moving as fast as you, but walking and keeping muscles toned should help some.

Cheers
Unread 05-06-2004, 04:56 PM
To: bittersweet

Please check out tijunkie's replys on the thread, "Question of keeping your cervix." https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=141881

Tijunkie had some great comments about when she went back to weight training.

I am a gym fanatic myself. Mostly the Stairmaster. My Dr. told me to wait 4 weeks to go back to the gym. And then - just a light bicycle.

As other Hyster Sisters have shared, go at your own pace.
Unread 05-06-2004, 07:49 PM
exercise/weight training

Thanks everybody for the feedback....now if I can only get past the 13th and get on with life! You ladies are a Godsend....
Unread 05-06-2004, 10:03 PM
exercise/weight training

I'm a fitness instructor and was given the full release back to exercise at 13 days post-op. The first night I worked out 2 1/2 hours with my step lowered by one riser, 20% lighter weights, cautious abs, and yoga. I felt great and returned everything to normal the next night. I taught 12 classes and took 3 my first week back. I feel great!

I am the exception here. I also had a LSH which seems to have an easier recovery. Every surgeon has his/her own post-op protocol. Many are not willing to let a person work out. Mine is into fitness as well and understood my need to get back in there.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
exercise/weight training

I am 1 week post-op and would love to start my exercsing again but I am so afraid of ripping something inside. My biggest exercise is the treadmill with a 8% incline, I walk at about 4 miles hour at least 6 times a week. Do you think it's ok to start? My doctor said it was fine but not so sure.
Unread 05-07-2004, 09:40 PM
exercise/weight training

Impatient one,

I would do what you feel comfortable doing. The main thing is that gave your doctor gave you his okay. We always need to follow our physicians instructions to the letter. Keeping that in mind, listen to your body and start slowly. Build up gradually as you feel comfortable. Perhaps short with slow walks without the incline and go from there.

Good luck to you!
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:28 AM
exercise/weight training

I was released for working out 4 weeks post TAH. I'm a fast healer though...you have to follow your body's cues & of course your doc. He told me to ease into it, which is hard for me, but I am not about to mess up what has been a perfect recovery now at 5 weeks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register