Absent minded or temporary Alzheimer's? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Absent minded or temporary Alzheimer's? Absent minded or temporary Alzheimer's?

Unread 05-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Absent minded or temporary Alzheimer's?

Has anyone had this? I can't find certain words in my brain that I want to say. I've never experienced lapse in memory to this degree before. :confuse:

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2004, 11:05 PM

Try searching on menopause and verbal ability you will find a connection. Also lack of sleep can cause problems with verbal ability. I had this problem the last two months prior to my surgery. But I seem to be able to locate the words I want to say and get them out correctly now. I could hardly make a complete sentence with all the right words. Called a toothbrush a telephone once.
Hang in there.
Unread 05-09-2004, 01:29 AM

Hello (((Jo))),

I've got to send you these s.

Lots of girls , jokingly, call this "word confusion", Brain Fog . We can righteously blame menopause, but we've got to remember that stress can contribute to these same symptoms. I've actually seen my DH forget words and names, like I do, when he's bogged down at work. (Now I know why he laughs...)

Before our surgeries, we think that we must instantly become SuperWoman. We run all over getting everyone ready for our surgeries!

I remember when my Mom was stressed, she'd call out to one of us and run through every one of our names before she'd hit pay dirt.

Rest up and take some "Jo time" brew some tea and read a book. This should help. I spent one whole day, Pre OP, calling my own dog Willie - his name is Carmel. My kids loved it.

...wow

Take Care Sis.
Much Love,
AnnieWoof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2004, 05:52 AM

Pre or post ? I had mine post surgery I would leave something out and then search high and low for iit

mei
Unread 05-09-2004, 06:00 AM

I think we all get pre-op because we have so much on our minds due to worrying about our families and ourselves and surgery and......

The post op, according to my doc and Sisters on here, is from hormone shake-ups and the anesthesia that is still in our bodies, along with pain meds. It gets frustrating sometimes, but it does improve. I just told people it was the blond in me (my apologies to our blond Sisters) coming out

s
Cat
Unread 05-09-2004, 08:17 AM

Oh yeah! It took me three tries this morning to make coffee. Where did I put my brain. I sure am glad there are others out there who are having the same problem, and I don't have to develop a new method of trying to remember the basics like feeding the dog and closing the refridgerator door. Thanks tons for the relief. Now, don't get the wrong idea... I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Is the unrealistic emotional wave hitting you too? Last night I was crying to my boyfriend on the phone because I couldn't find my book - it was under a pillow on the couch. Whew! What a mess. He was great - reminded me I had some soothing music I'd purchased to listen to in the castle - maybe I should get into bed with the heating pad, listen, try to read, and relax. He is a prince. It worked. All those who support us in our time of weakness are amaizing. I know we - I - are going through a lot, but they are too.
Unread 05-09-2004, 09:13 AM

Yeah, I guess that brain fog is a funny thing. I have been laughing at myself lately. I have to remember to write down all the words I've twisted.

This morning was really the funniest. I woke up and everyone was sleeping. My coffee pot broke yesterday, so I went out to the local gourmet coffee shop to treat myself. They were closed. So I decide to go to the one in the next town. As I get on the freeway, the 4 lanes start becoming one. Slowly, I make my way to the exit and it's closed. So is the next one. By this time, I really want my coffee.

So I turn around and get back on the freeway and go to Star..... and I have no wallet in my purse. I proceed home, get my wallet, get in the car and start all over. Ended up at the local gas station. Guess I'll be shopping for a new coffee pot today.

Once again, it's so good to know I'm not alone.
Unread 05-09-2004, 09:17 AM

Oh YES!!! In the last few weeks before my surgery, I felt like I had turned into an idiot in several ways, but verbal (and written) expression were the worst by far. I think part of it was the stress and anxiety, and part of it was hormonal.

Unfortunately, coming up on three weeks post-op, I'm only slightly less of an idiot in these areas. Thus far, I'm attributing it more to my state of health than to hormones (I had a very complicated surgery and several aggravating health factors), but boy is it annoying, and a little scary, too. I'm still trusting it will improve.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register