The lighter side: My dog is worried about me! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The lighter side: My dog is worried about me! The lighter side: My dog is worried about me!

Unread 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM
The lighter side: My dog is worried about me!

We have two dogs, but one has always been mama's dog through and through. She has been worried about why mama is acting so funny. She sticks with me, laying by the couch and just gazing up at me, and yesterday she crawled up on the couch with me...and she has never been allowed (but I allowed her, she was so sweet!). The dogs are not allowed in the back of the house, as it is the cat's domain, but the other day when I was back in my master bathroom brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed, she came back and pushed her head through the door. I don't think she'd ever done that before!

So, even though my teenage daughter has showed little compassion and next to no help, and hubby has been his workaholic, absent self, my pup has been looking after me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Re: The lighter side: My dog is worried about me!

My German Shepherd senses I'm 'off' too! He would never come in our bedroom before. Now he's in here every minute I am. I love it.
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Same here with my dog. She follows me around constantly and lays next to me. Never lets me out of her sight. Nice to have such attention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Both of my dogs stuck to me like good for the first month of my recovery. They had to be in bed with me when I was in bed, which wasn't easy - one weighs 100 lbs and the other is 65 lbs. They were so amazingly gentle with me, though. They were great nursemaids. If only they had opposable thumbs, they would have been making lunch for me!
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM

My dog is all about her. She usually likes to hang with her people anyway, so I'm not sure I would notice a difference. But she is extremely happy to be going on so many walks. She has also figured out that if she does her food dance for DH, he feeds her, and then when I come into the room if she does it again she sometimes gets fed twice. Usually I don't get home from work til late and am not part of the feeding routine. The dog should be up for an acadamy award for best performance in food cadging. Luckily she is getting lots of walks so she isn't too fat yet.
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM

My dog is the same. So attentive and even more gentle than usual. Normally, she is pretty hyper but it seems she can tell I need her to be careful. Makes me laugh. She has to be touching me. If I move, she scoots over. LOL
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM

My dogs are the same! One is 100 pounds and the other is about half that so they aren't allowed on the couch, but they sit with their chins resting on me or the couch or bed. We were laughing the other night, if anyone flew over our place with infrared, they would see four little blobs (two dogs and two cats) following a big blob or two (the humans) around the house - all four animals have been Velcro Pets this past month, I tell ya!!
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Animals are so amazingly intuitive and healing...I so love reading your stories and am so jealous, right now I'm at my folks on the east coast and my cats are back in cali, I'm missing them terribly! ::sigh:: before I left to come out here for surgery they were on me or at my side as much as possible, going as far as sleeping on my chest whenever they could....looking forward to getting back there and snuggling them up
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:41 AM

My kitty has been particularly loving. When I came home from the hospital, he crawled up on the bed with me. He's also been really good about not climbing on me. Every time I get out of bed and walk around he's right there watching me and rubs on my legs. It's funny how much they love us and know when we need extra comfort.
Unread 06-14-2010, 06:07 AM

Maybe it's because their sense of smell is so heightened compared to ours. When I came home from the hospital my dog sniffed at my abdomen. Since then she avoids that area! It's really like she knows I have a wound and wants to avoid hurting me.
DH and I watched Extreme Poodles last night and laughed and laughed. It hurt, but was good medicine. Our pets bring us so much happiness with their loyal, loving, little selves!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register