10 days post hysterectomy: HELP in so much pain from BM straining this morning | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 days post hysterectomy: HELP  in so much pain from  BM straining this morning 10 days post hysterectomy: HELP in so much pain from BM straining this morning

Unread 04-26-2014, 07:20 PM
10 days post hysterectomy: HELP in so much pain from BM straining this morning

warning.TMI I woke up this morning in pain needing to poop. I tried and tried and nothing. I used a suppository, NOTHING. I could not even sit, it was so impacted and poking out so to say. My husband went to the store and got a fleet enema,, I did that, mostly water came out, but It was too late to stop, It had to come out. I was in severe pain, it took an hour in the bathroom and I strained beyond belief to get baseballs out, Now I have been in bed all day in severe pain and having spasms. I just now got up in the recliner still in severe pain. I dont know if I have hurt myself really bad, I am not bleeding, just hurting as if I just came out of surgery again. I was using heat on my belly and it was making me sweat, Now I am using ice. norco and ibuprofen, I have been drinking water, walking, eating prunes, stool softners since before surgery and Milk of magnesium. This only two bowel movements in 9 days post op,, both had to be brought on by enema's.. what could be wrong?? i am scared I have done something, but relieved that i am not bleeding. anyone with advice I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Re: HELP in so much pain from straining this morning

Dear crystal40,
I'd at least call the doc/RN and explain everything. Aside from assessing any possible internal damage, the doc/RN should be able to help you figure out If you need more help getting normal bowel movements. It took 6 days before I could go after surgery (with fiber pills, laxatives, and other help), but everything colon related seems to have gotten nearly to normal now weeks later. I nearly cried with joy that sixth day. Did not strain, just let gravity help.
That's such an uncomfortable situation. Prayer heading out for you.
Unread 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM

I had a similar experience about 2 weeks or so ago. It was awful! I spent 2 hours on the toilet, used a suppository, enema, you name it! I too was very sore after, I felt like my whole undercarriage was swollen! I was so scared that I ruined something. I did what you did, took some pain meds and rested with a heating pad. I was sore for 3 days! I also had hemhorroids that started bleeding so I also had unbeleivable pain in that area! I hope you aren't dealing with that as well.
It is still not a bad idea to call your doctor. And I am sure you learned like I did, to be extra vigilant with your bowels!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2014, 07:57 PM

Thank You. I will keep watching for bleeding, and if the pain is no better in the morning I will give someone a call. It is the wknd, so not sure who to call. I know I strained way too hard, I dont know how I am not bleeding, It was unbearable. I have never strained so much in my life and knew I should not be doing it, But I had no choice, I thought I was going to pass out. and I feel seriously bruised inside. I had a LAVH, so I dont know what kind of stitches and such are where, I never asked that question. I just hope and pray i have not done serious damage. My husband is getting me some apple juice and fiber to mix it with, hopefully that and high fiber cereal and such will help, This is more painful than the actual surgery... Thank you for your prayers, I need them very much right now.
Unread 04-26-2014, 08:10 PM

Try miralax for a few days, till back to normal
Unread 04-26-2014, 09:00 PM

I would try prune juice instead as it isn't so solid. Mix with the apple juice and warm it up.
Unread 04-26-2014, 09:29 PM

I took colace every day for a month post op. And if I didn't poop one day I did a glycerine suppository the next day. Anything to avoid getting backed up. I was normal after 2 weeks but continued the colace to be sure.
Unread 04-26-2014, 11:16 PM

It seems to be a very common occurance. I strained for 4 days before my first movement and thought I was going to die. Yes, anything soft, avoid eating heavy until you're regular again. Add fiber powder to OJ twice daily, use Colace, drink prune juice and eat applesauce and yogurt...clear fluids, even coffee help spur movements.
I ended up needing my husband to hold me when I finally "gave birth" and used a small stool to bring my knees up to my chest to make for a more natural "squat".
By all means, call the doctor right away and if need be, as has been reported by many other sisters here, go to the ER and have an impaction removed. At this point, your overall well being means more than the embarrassment of having to admit it occurred at all.

Take care of yourself. Getting help early will save you later on. Speedy recovery and better days to you. God Bless.
Unread 04-27-2014, 01:21 AM

Thanks Ladies. I am up at 2 am with a fever. Been running one on and off for a couple of days. My doctor is aware and i am on antibiotics for possible infection. I am still in pain, not quite as bad as yesterday. SO since I am not bleeding and pain has calmed down a little bit,, I think I am going to be ok. I will start today ensuring I do not get so impacted this time. If I have to I will just eat soup and drink plenty and add lots of fiber .. we will see what happens. If it happens again, you better believe I will be at the ER.. I cannot go through that again. It is a beautiful weekend here in Bama and I am stuck inside b/c of this pain. I know it will pass eventually.. I am ready to be recovered NOW!! Thanks for the concern and prayers. Can always count on you ladies to give great advice.. no one knows better than those who have been through it.. Love all you ladies!!!
Unread 04-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal40 View Post
Thanks Ladies. I am up at 2 am with a fever. Been running one on and off for a couple of days. My doctor is aware and i am on antibiotics for possible infection. I am still in pain, not quite as bad as yesterday. SO since I am not bleeding and pain has calmed down a little bit,, I think I am going to be ok. I will start today ensuring I do not get so impacted this time. If I have to I will just eat soup and drink plenty and add lots of fiber .. we will see what happens. If it happens again, you better believe I will be at the ER.. I cannot go through that again. It is a beautiful weekend here in Bama and I am stuck inside b/c of this pain. I know it will pass eventually.. I am ready to be recovered NOW!! Thanks for the concern and prayers. Can always count on you ladies to give great advice.. no one knows better than those who have been through it.. Love all you ladies!!!
'

Glad the pain is lessening. My doctor put me on senna stool softener with a laxative twice daily. I'm also taking Myralax every morning. Did your doctor have you on a stool softener and laxative? If not, you might want to ask. I've had 'loose' bowel movements, but they have been regular and with no pain. I'd rather deal with loose than what you went through. I"m so sorry that hurt you so bad. Hope you feel better

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register