new here--gyn appt tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new here--gyn appt tomorrow new here--gyn appt tomorrow

Unread 04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
new here--gyn appt tomorrow

I just need some support and a place to ramble if no one minds...I have ALWAYS had horrible periods. 7 days HEAVY and very painful. Over the years, what I thought couldn't get worse has. In 2002 after trying every hormone treatment known to man I underwent a d&c only to find out that my gyn was an absolute moron. After getting home from the procedure my hubby tells me that the dr had said (and I quote) "there was some sort of sack growing around her uterus that had almost completely encapuslated it. I think I got it all, but I'm not sure what it was." I thought hubby must have twisted it (as men usually do) so I called the dr and he told me the exact same thing! i did find out later it wasn't cancerous (what a relief), but dr also told me that my previous ultrasound had revealed hundreds of tiny cysts on my ovaries "but none of them were big enough to cause the pain with ovulation that you are describing." UGH!!!! gave me some high powered motrin and sent me on my way, but not before he reminded me that "all women have some discomfort with their monthly cycles." Oh really???? then why do I not see ALL WOMEN crawling around on their hands and knees a week or two out of every month because they can't stand upright due to the pain???? Needless to say, I dropped that dr like a hot rock, but I felt pretty stupid at this point and the d&c did give me some relief for about 6 months. Slowly the pain started creeping back in and the periods got heavier and longer, but I decided this was just how it had to be and kept my mouth shut until about a year ago. Found a new dr who again wanted to try more hormones (here we go again...). At first it was going well. For two months my period was lighter, only lasted 4-5 days and I had only minor cramping. After about 4 months, I was having two periods a month each lasting 5-7 days with all the "joys" I had experienced before. i threw the rest of those pills in the trash! I'm not scheduled to go see my dr again for another couple of months, but I called today and told him "this has got to stop!" My lower back is aching to the point that I can't bend over or stand up straight, every joint in my body is aching, I can go from diarrhea to constipation numerous times in the same d@%$ day, I get so bloated that I think my stomach will explode (you would think that the knives that seem to be piercing my abdomen would at least be generous enough to poke a hole so that the air could escape) and sometimes I'm pretty certian that uterus weighs about 300#s and is trying to escape through my vagina. Do i even need to mention ovulation??? Let's just say that I'd much rather take a hit to the abdomen with a freaking hunting knife...at least then I've have a shot at it destroying my ovaries and never having to feel that pain again. I am completely at the end of my rope here and if this doctor doesn't schedule me for a hysterectomy TOMORROW, I'm afraid I am gonna have to take hostages. I spend about 2 weeks out of every month in excruciating pain and about that much time dreading the next round of pain. I just cannot/will not live this way anymore. Thanks for listening to my vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM

I'm new here too, I understand your pain!!!! I have had years of wishy washy "band-aid" treatments from the gyn's finally got some results and had D&C on 3-15-07. Which they decided from the "results" that a hyst. will be the next step. They said it is not urgent but should be done in the next 6 months. Good luck with your apt. hope all goes well!!
Unread 04-05-2007, 03:09 AM

Phatgurl, you crack me up. 300lb uterus, I can relate. I'm sure that right after my surgery, I will lose an immediate 50 lbs. Absolutely sure (kidding). If dear doctor is not willing to give you the surgery you want AFTER some intensive testing that shows you need it (although there are some sneaky adhesions, etc. that can't always be seen until the doctor is up close and personal in there), then by all means continue on to doctor number 3. Sometimes it takes numerous doctors to finally get to the root of the problem and find a course of action that is acceptable to YOU, not just them.
There are other options, other than having everything discarded that might work for you as well, and this might include something other than the lovely hormones. ICK. They never did squat for me.
Good luck today. I'll be having my pre-op with my surgeon this morning and will be thinking of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 06:11 AM

Hi Phatgurl!

I agree with the other girls - if this doctor doesn't take a more agressive approach to determine the source of your pain & come up with treatment that works, keep moving on. Talk to every woman you know & eventually you'll come across one who has a fantastic, into-all-the-latest kind of docs. There have been women on here who've gone to 3 or 4 before they got a diagnosis & found someone who'd help them. Hang in there & keep moving forward. This site is wonderful & full of support as we all make this journey. Keep in mind that you will need to do different tests, etc. (as noted above) to satisfy your insurance company's requirements to approve the hysterectomy. Like I said, just hang in there & know that your sisters are here for you.

Wishing you all the best,

Sue
Unread 04-05-2007, 11:44 PM

I agree with switching doctors, if needed. I switched, recently, and then wondered why I even stayed so long with my last one! My new one is great and has taken everything seriously. In fact, by the time I saw her, she commented that my situation should not have been allowed to go on so long (I had ended up in the ER and hospital). The old doctor wouldn't even see me... too booked up. Not even after I had been in the hospital, could she see me! I thought that was outrageous and so switched that same week.

If a doctor needs to run some more tests to get info, then I would think they should do them now and not later. Your quality of life matters and a solution, or at least better options, should be looked into soon. I hope you get some good answers at your next appoiontment. Best wishes and good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register