Scheduled LAVH What to pack for one night stay in the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to pack for one night stay in the hospital? What to pack for one night stay in the hospital?

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM
What to pack for one night stay in the hospital?

I'm kind of freaking out about having to stay in the hospital overnight since my Doctor originally told me that I would go home same day. Is it worth it to pack anything for the hospital stay since its only one night? Should I bring PJs or just wear the hospital gown? Bring face wash and moisturizer or will I not feel like getting out of bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Re: What to pack for one night stay in the hospital?

I'm bringing slippers and a robe for when I walk the hall. I'm going to just sleep in the hospital gown. I will have my phone charger, phone, and headphones so I can listen to music while I sleep. I'm going to wear the clothes to the hospital that I plan to wear home.
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM

Don't freak, I was supposed to be home same day had to be converted to open surgery and won a three night stay in the castle. Bring something comfortable to come home in. During my stay I stayed in hospital gown because they are easier to change with an iv. Bring one or two pairs of granny panties, you'll want those and a pad after they remove the catheter. The pad is for spotting and normal, believe me it's a blink of an eye compared to our periods and i was scared of the catheter removal, but it was nothing. Slippers I liked having, made me steadier on my feet because they are going to get you out of that bed and shuffling pretty quick. As far as toiletries, all I cared about was a toothbrush, a brush and some ponytail holders. Trash mags and my favorite no carbonated liquids were the things I really liked having. My nurses were super sweet and tried very hard to keep my dignity is some very undignified moments. Don't stress about having to stay, it's for your safety, whether it be you need special monitoring due to underlying conditions, length of surgery and an eye on you recovering from Anesthesia or having to measure bladder function. I had an emergency on the table, lost a lot of blood and the surgery was much more complex than originally expected. So no way they were letting me out the door without good blood counts, me strong enough to get to the bathroom solo and good vitals. They need to be sure your body is ready for life's little hiccups once you go home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2013, 08:29 AM

I'm packing tonight for my stay as well, and I was thinking it might be better to wear a long maxi dress to the hospital...? It's a hot summer in Alabama, but also I'm not sure how my pants will fit or how hard it will be to get them on the next morning. Is there any reason that might not be a good idea?
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM

I found I needed very little for my hospital stay. I stayed in the hospital gown--much easier than trying to change into something else--and they give you those little gripper socks for walking. My doctor kept me in compression socks the entire time, so I couldn't have easily put on shoes.

I did bring face wash, toothbrush, etc., but I didn't find I used any of it for just an overnight stay. I was pretty out of it. However, if for any reason you need to stay longer, you'll want those.

The most important thing I brought was my phone with audio files and headphones. It helped me a lot to tune in to music afterwards. (I also listened to a surgery relaxation cd before surgery and during surgery, so I had that on my phone.)

Loose dress works well for leaving the hospital. They will likely give you big ole disposable panties, but you may want to bring your own. Big and loose.

Good luck!
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM

I only packed for one night and packed very light. I ended up staying 6 nights due to an Ileus (intestines not waking up) and even though my husband could have brought me more things. I didn't need anything else. Wear clothes to the hospital that you can wear home, drivers license, insurance card, bathrobe, phone, headphones, charger, extension cord, Chapstick, hard candies, mint gum, toothbrush, face cleaner cloths, and a small bag to hold many of these items and keep them close to you.
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:47 AM

All I needed and wanted was my bra underwear a robe, deodorant and phone with charger.. I used their gown. Their socks. Even their toothbrush n toothpaste. I took a hair clip to put my hair up and wore my same clothes home. I didn't have to worry about forgetting anything. I also took Chewable gas x with me and started chewing them when I woke. One step ahead... I went home the next morning after surgery. ..
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Seems as though everyone has guided you in the right direction! Packing light is the best option. Main item is a change of clothes to go home in and toothpaste, toothbrush (as some ladies pointed out, some hospitals may even have that) - I brought panties, but the hospital I stayed at had the disposable panties (mesh like material) with pad made in them and it was easier for them to access catheter. Hospital clothing is the best for IV and for the walking. I had my surgery performed at 2:30 pm and I was up walking at 10:30pm that night, 6:30 am the next morning and was released at 2:30pm the next day on 19 Jul (two weeks ago). Good luck and relax and prayers are with you!
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:09 AM

One other suggestion - take a few breakfast type bars with you. I was unable to eat the hospital food (one night turned into two nights - bladder went to sleep) - I am still extremely salt sensitive - and everything they gave me tasted like a salt lick in a bowl...

The maxi dress question - the only thing I have heard - is will an adonimal incisions - sometimes lifting your arms over your head - might hurt a little the first few days... but as long as you have someone to help you... I wore yoga pants and a big t-shirt.

The just gave me another hospital gown to wear backwards as a robe for my strolls around the floor.
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:05 AM

These are all good suggestions! I was just in overnight (less than 24 hours). I also wore the clothes to the hosp, that I was going to wear home. Packed clean undies, a brush, phone/tablet and chargers. They provided the gown, robe, slipper socks, the disposable mesh type granny panties/pads and all the little clean up items I needed/wanted. I also packed my insurance cards and brought a small pillow for between my tummy and seat belt for the ride home. (I had a 2 hour ride!) I wish I would have had hard candies and gum.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register