Upcoming hysterectomy 1/17 - any advice so I won't be worrying as much. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/17 - any advice so I won't be worrying as much. Upcoming hysterectomy 1/17 - any advice so I won't be worrying as much.

Unread 12-15-2016, 12:03 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/17 - any advice so I won't be worrying as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightStar79 View Post
Hi sisters,
I could really use prayers and love plus some friends. Not only I had been through so much health issues since January this year. But I am going to be having my Hysterectomy in January - plus I have been having really bad pelvic pain since my D&C in August. I did go to my obgyn and he not only sent me to the ER during one visit (since it was so bad I couldn't tolerate it) but he ordered a ultrasound (enternal and external). The results were a mass in my uterus. Then I had to get a MRI a month later - same results. It appears that I have a large mass in my uterus plus a cyst in my right ovary that hadn't changed since January when my primary dr ordered a ct scan for abdominal pain.
I'm nervous as heck do have this big surgery, any advice so I won't be worrying as much. Thanks! <3 you all!
Hello there!

My hysterday is same as yours. I am kind of nervous, but the more I read articles and stories on here the more my nerves subsides. To be honest, Im ready! I will be praying for you and those who are doing your surgery.

I agreed with others...just keep yourself busy in what you really need to do before your surgery and exercise, it really help. Even if you go for a walk..it really helps. I have been going to the gym 3-4 times a week since May. Make sure you have everything you will need for when you get home for recovery. Those pre-op preparation articles really help. Plus eat lots of fruits and veggies, drink lots of water before and after surgery, I believe that would help, as well.

Im not sure what time your surgery would be set, but I will be thinking and praying for you. My start at 7:30am... Keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions to ease your fear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2016, 01:15 PM

My prayers go out to you but toulll be fine I was terrified my first surgery and I'm 46 it went great for me just follow you instructions and listen to your body you'll be fine hope everything goes well in January I'll pray for you xoxo
Unread 12-21-2016, 03:19 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy in January - any advice so I won't be worrying as much.

I'm right there with you! Large fibroids, a mild prolapse and surgery TAH (I call it the "Full Monty") scheduled for 1/11. I'm nervous and a bit scared. My doc said "stay off your feet and take it easy" before the surgery, with a lifting limit of 20 lbs, so I can't really get much done in preparation. Also, we are planning to travel (fly 2 hrs, drive 2 hrs) on the 28th. Ugh.

So glad to have others to go through this with!
LLC
Unread 12-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy in January - any advice so I won't be worrying as much.

Its been 5 weeks today since I had my surgery. I remember how scared I was before so I know how you're feeling! At times now I feel silly for being so scared as recovery has really been a breeze! I was up walking around 4 hours after waking. I never needed much for pain meds as the pain was MUCH less than what I experienced before.
My advice is to be selfish for the next few weeks. Take this time to rest, relax and look after YOU!
You're gonna feel sooo much better afterwards!
Hugs
Unread 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM

We'll be having surgery the same day.. Will they not know what the mass is until it's removed?
Unread 01-01-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Hi sisters,
I could really use prayers and love plus some friends. Not only I had been through so much health issues since January this year. But I am going to be having my Hysterectomy in January - plus I have been having really bad pelvic pain since my D&C in August. I did go to my obgyn and he not only sent me to the ER during one visit (since it was so bad I couldn't tolerate it) but he ordered a ultrasound (enternal and external). The results were a mass in my uterus. Then I had to get a MRI a month later - same results. It appears that I have a large mass in my uterus plus a cyst in my right ovary that hadn't changed since January when my primary dr ordered a ct scan for abdominal pain.
I'm nervous as heck do have this big surgery, any advice so I won't be worrying as much. Thanks! <3 you all!
Boy, we have all been there. If you weren't a little scared that would be unusual, this is a big deal, but as you can see, with preparation and the right attitude things can go very well, as it has for many of your sisters here, including me...and believe me I WORRIED!

I read all of the replies and they are so great. I had my Laprascopic Hysterectomy, Ovaries and Cervix removed December 5, 2016. Like many of the women here, I had some pain and discomfort the first day getting up and down, but very little while enjoying my comfy spot on my chaise lounge with all my pillows and my kitty...my actual kitty. I only took about two of the Percocet and then went to Ibuprofin, as I was very concerned, as many women are, about the potential for constipation due to the drugs. I wanted things free flowing in the bowel area. Really the discomfort from the stitches where they sew the vaginal cuff were the most sore, and that diminished by half the second day, and almost gone the 3rd or 4th. I was up and down, like others shortly after surgery. And, you do want this to prevent post surgical issues.

I like the list idea someone else put up for you...so I will do the same. I will just say here that I had a freak out the day before and was about to cancel surgery, but I got through it. I had a strong family history of Ovarian Cancer, had been treated for cervical hyperplasia, uterine hyperplasia, had a couple of Ovarian cysts that popped, and some that did not, horrendous fibroids..honestly the pain since the surgery, pales in comparison. But, I want to know that I will live a healthy life free of restrictions after surgery, I think that is what we all want to know.

Here is some of what I did to prepare and since surgery

1. Clean, clean, clean...I took the day off work the day before my surgery and prepared my house, mind and body. Set up my bed and cozy area the way I wanted with stuff I wanted, did a ridiculous amount of grocery shopping, stocking up on everything that I wanted, and that I wanted my husband to prepare for me. Soups, soft things, snacks.

2. I slept on the couch for a week, partly due to a little soreness when I was flat, not wanting to have to get up from a completely flat position, not wanting the cat to walk across my body in bed, as he tends to do, and he did last night for the first time...scary, but I am okay. I kind of enjoyed it, could prop any way I wanted, turn on my fireplace when I wanted, open the window above my head when I wanted.

3. Drink, ALOT. Keep your foods nutritious, simple and comforting, I drink 100 ounces of water a day, plus two or three 16 ounce hot cups of tea ( decaf ) plus several cups of coffee ( half decaf ) which is a wonderful bowel stimulant. Consider a Stool Softener, I started with a basic one with mineral oil, and added Milk of Magnesia and had great success. I wanted to keep things soft until I had no fear of pushing a little to have a bowel movement. It can be a little scary, and you need to gain confidence slowly and keep things easy on yourself.

4. When you are told 4-6 weeks of taking it easy, let yourself enjoy this. Line up a list of movies, books, knitting, whatever. You need to allow your insides to heal properly, and moving around, entertaining friends, cleaning, etc is not the ticket. Just let yourself enjoy the quiet time. Even when I had two people for dinner right after Christmas, I regretted it. You can look spectacular on the outside, and even feel great too, but you just aren't ready for all that. And people just see you and think you are fine. I still find comfort in my cozy spot and am lucky my husband still takes good care of me...and I LET him.

5. The first pees and poos are a little scary, but they will happen. My first three pees took concentration and chanting while my husband held my hand and I quietly chanted "please, please, please"...and it worked!

Tomorrow is my one month surgiversary; today I hiked 5 miles over hill and dale and cobblestones and creeks, climbed over a 1000 feet, alone. It felt like a bigger and more daring adventure than normal. Each time I do something normal again, especially by myself, its like a new hurdle. I have hiked 25 miles since surgery, since 5 or 6th day. The first day just 1 mile, the second day 2 miles, lots of 2-3 mile jaunts. So, you can see, if movement is part of your life, you can do it. But I can't mountain bike yet, or ride my other bikes, and no sex yet. That will be scary and a hurdle.

I decided to add in hormone therapy, we will see how that goes, but as I said, I am very active, and holding on to my muscle and bone is important to me, and estrogen plays a role in that. For me what I have read so far, it makes sense, but we will see, and I plan to do more research.

Honestly, and I still worry. I tell my husband, if I knew I was totally out of the woods, and this was all there was to my recovery, I would say "wow, that was actually way easier than I thought" , but my superstitiousness does not allow me that freedom. I will wait a bit longer to feel more confident, but until now, except for worrying a lot, its been pretty easy, almost nice in a way. I work so much, very hard, and this is one of the first times in my life I have been home and just lounging around. Its a real change. I am not sure I am ready for work in two weeks, not so much physically, I will take it slow and work some part days, but mentally this has been a nice quiet time. I specifically waited for winter as I work in the outdoor industry, and own a business, it is the least disruptive. But also, its been quiet, the Christmas tree is up, its amazing down time, and by the time around three months when I assume all will be more up and running the sun will be shining here in Northern California more regularly and outdoor activities will be ramping up, and I hope to be doing them. I imagine the sisters that have this done in the summer have to contend with feeling like they are missing some things...but they can lie in the sun by the pool!

Is there anything specific, knowing that no question is too disturbing or out of line you'd like to ask?

We will be waiting to hear back...and ask away if we have not said what it is you want to know.

Unread 01-01-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Hi sisters,
Boy, we have all been there. If you weren't a little scared that would be unusual, this is a big deal, but as you can see, with preparation and the right attitude things can go very well, as it has for many of your sisters here, including me...and believe me I WORRIED!

I read all of the replies and they are so great. I had my Laprascopic Hysterectomy, Ovaries and Cervix removed December 5, 2016. Like many of the women here, I had some pain and discomfort the first day getting up and down, but very little while enjoying my comfy spot on my chaise lounge with all my pillows and my kitty...my actual kitty. I only took about two of the Percocet and then went to Ibuprofin, as I was very concerned, as many women are, about the potential for constipation due to the drugs. I wanted things free flowing in the bowel area. Really the discomfort from the stitches where they sew the vaginal cuff were the most sore, and that diminished by half the second day, and almost gone the 3rd or 4th. I was up and down, like others shortly after surgery. And, you do want this to prevent post surgical issues.

I like the list idea someone else put up for you...so I will do the same. I will just say here that I had a freak out the day before and was about to cancel surgery, but I got through it. I had a strong family history of Ovarian Cancer, had been treated for cervical hyperplasia, uterine hyperplasia, had a couple of Ovarian cysts that popped, and some that did not, horrendous fibroids..honestly the pain since the surgery, pales in comparison. But, I want to know that I will live a healthy life free of restrictions after surgery, I think that is what we all want to know.

Here is some of what I did to prepare and since surgery

1. Clean, clean, clean...I took the day off work the day before my surgery and prepared my house, mind and body. Set up my bed and cozy area the way I wanted with stuff I wanted, did a ridiculous amount of grocery shopping, stocking up on everything that I wanted, and that I wanted my husband to prepare for me. Soups, soft things, snacks.

2. I slept on the couch for a week, partly due to a little soreness when I was flat, not wanting to have to get up from a completely flat position, not wanting the cat to walk across my body in bed, as he tends to do, and he did last night for the first time...scary, but I am okay. I kind of enjoyed it, could prop any way I wanted, turn on my fireplace when I wanted, open the window above my head when I wanted.

3. Drink, ALOT. Keep your foods nutritious, simple and comforting, I drink 100 ounces of water a day, plus two or three 16 ounce hot cups of tea ( decaf ) plus several cups of coffee ( half decaf ) which is a wonderful bowel stimulant. Consider a Stool Softener, I started with a basic one with mineral oil, and added Milk of Magnesia and had great success. I wanted to keep things soft until I had no fear of pushing a little to have a bowel movement. It can be a little scary, and you need to gain confidence slowly and keep things easy on yourself.

4. When you are told 4-6 weeks of taking it easy, let yourself enjoy this. Line up a list of movies, books, knitting, whatever. You need to allow your insides to heal properly, and moving around, entertaining friends, cleaning, etc is not the ticket. Just let yourself enjoy the quiet time. Even when I had two people for dinner right after Christmas, I regretted it. You can look spectacular on the outside, and even feel great too, but you just aren't ready for all that. And people just see you and think you are fine. I still find comfort in my cozy spot and am lucky my husband still takes good care of me...and I LET him.

5. The first pees and poos are a little scary, but they will happen. My first three pees took concentration and chanting while my husband held my hand and I quietly chanted "please, please, please"...and it worked!

Tomorrow is my one month surgiversary; today I hiked 5 miles over hill and dale and cobblestones and creeks, climbed over a 1000 feet, alone. It felt like a bigger and more daring adventure than normal. Each time I do something normal again, especially by myself, its like a new hurdle. I have hiked 25 miles since surgery, since 5 or 6th day. The first day just 1 mile, the second day 2 miles, lots of 2-3 mile jaunts. So, you can see, if movement is part of your life, you can do it. But I can't mountain bike yet, or ride my other bikes, and no sex yet. That will be scary and a hurdle.

I decided to add in hormone therapy, we will see how that goes, but as I said, I am very active, and holding on to my muscle and bone is important to me, and estrogen plays a role in that. For me what I have read so far, it makes sense, but we will see, and I plan to do more research.

Honestly, and I still worry. I tell my husband, if I knew I was totally out of the woods, and this was all there was to my recovery, I would say "wow, that was actually way easier than I thought" , but my superstitiousness does not allow me that freedom. I will wait a bit longer to feel more confident, but until now, except for worrying a lot, its been pretty easy, almost nice in a way. I work so much, very hard, and this is one of the first times in my life I have been home and just lounging around. Its a real change. I am not sure I am ready for work in two weeks, not so much physically, I will take it slow and work some part days, but mentally this has been a nice quiet time. I specifically waited for winter as I work in the outdoor industry, and own a business, it is the least disruptive. But also, its been quiet, the Christmas tree is up, its amazing down time, and by the time around three months when I assume all will be more up and running the sun will be shining here in Northern California more regularly and outdoor activities will be ramping up, and I hope to be doing them. I imagine the sisters that have this done in the summer have to contend with feeling like they are missing some things...but they can lie in the sun by the pool!

Is there anything specific, knowing that no question is too disturbing or out of line you'd like to ask?

We will be waiting to hear back...and ask away if we have not said what it is you want to know.

Unread 01-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/17 - any advice so I won't be worrying as much.

Thanks so much for the help sisters!! It has been so helpful to me, and I love the support & friendship you all have given me. As for the mass, I was told but I will double check (can't remember) when I go to my pre-ops next week with my obgyn. But I remember when I had my D&C I had a fibroid that was the size of a 10 week pregnancy, plus a polyp in my uterus (he removed it). But now today since I am on my "last period" it has been brutal with the pelvic pain I am dealing with. I keep crying to bed because of it... but all I can say it will be over soon.

@ Mathilda1963 I think we are not far from one another! I'll PM you tonight.

<3 you all!
Unread 01-05-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the help sisters!! It has been so helpful to me, and I love the support & friendship you all have given me. As for the mass, I was told but I will double check (can't remember) when I go to my pre-ops next week with my obgyn. But I remember when I had my D&C I had a fibroid that was the size of a 10 week pregnancy, plus a polyp in my uterus (he removed it). But now today since I am on my "last period" it has been brutal with the pelvic pain I am dealing with. I keep crying to bed because of it... but all I can say it will be over soon.

@ Mathilda1963 I think we are not far from one another! I'll PM you tonight.

<3 you all!
Hello there, my hysterdate-twin! I am glad you're at ease about our upcoming surgery in couple of weeks. Ahhhhh! I am nervous and excited at the same time!
I'm also, on my last cycle as well...boy, it really heavy the first 2 days. Couldnt go nowhere without worrying that I will make a mess. I am so sorry that you are in pain. I do pray that you will finally live your life pains and worry free after your recovery. I will be meeting you to the other side. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register