Nerves Nerves Nerves - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nerves Nerves Nerves Nerves Nerves Nerves

Unread 05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

I thought I had made peace with my hysterectomy, which is May 31 and will be a possible TAV (hopefully TVH); however, I had my pre-op on Tuesday and have become obsessed and anxious again. I, too, am concerned about the Living Will. I know it makes sense, yet it's one more thing to add to my list of things to do before the surgery. I teach, so am finishing the school year next Friday and have lots to do. In addition, my daughter is getting married in July, so I'm helping with preparations and trying to find something to wear with no clue how big my belly will be that day. Of course, in addition, I'd like to do some gardening and clean the house while I still can.

In case you can't tell, I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself. In a way, I think the "to-do" list was serving the purpose of keeping me from worrying about the surgery, but now I feel overwhelmed by it ALL. Could use some words of wisdom and encouragement -- prayer, too, if you're so inclined.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

Trust me ladies - everything will be fine. I am in my 11th wk of post op, had a radical abdominal hyst. I too was anxious and nervous, but not really about the surgery...more so about the recovery. Hopefully none of you will have any unexpected complications....recovery is different for everyone. The best advice I can give you is PLEASE listen to your doctor, follow orders, get lots of rest, don't try to get back to normal quickly 'cause it just ain't gonna happen, and most of all LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If you overdo, you will definitely suffer for it. Even now, I am very careful not to overdo. Your recovery time is very important....pamper yourself. Good luck to all of you LIW!
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

By the bracelet I'm assuming you had blood drawn in case you need a transfusion and they gave you a bracelet. I had to wear mine for 8 days.

This is what the nurse told me: They draw your blood and get your blood type, etc. Then before surgery they make sure they have the blood on hand to give you if you need a transfusion. The bracelet has a number on it that will match the number on the bags of blood they set aside for you. If you remove the bracelet they could cancel your surgery. The nurse told me that if you remove it or damage it so they can't read the number, then the hospital can't be sure with 100% certainty that the number on your bracelet is the same as the number on the blood set aside for you. Of course giving you the wrong blood type can kill you. It's really just a failsafe most likely because somewhere along the line someone received the wrong blood.

I was worried sick that my bracelet would fall off or something and my surgery would be delayed. It was one more thing for me to fret about. I wrapped it in plastic wrap when I took a shower because it got moist underneath the plastic part.

It may seem silly but it's really just for your protection. I didn't need a blood transfusion in the end anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

Quote:
Originally posted by MelanieM37
I am having surgery on Monday. Just found out yesterday. I had no clue that the troubles I had been having were gyn related. Then they do a cat scan and here I am. Heading to pre-op testing in four hours...surgery in three days. I am scared to death. It just set in.....but then the mepergan they gave me just hit too. This was all so unexpected and now I am cramming to learn what to expect. They are hoping to do a combination vaginal/laproscopic removal and leave my ovaries.
Sounds like you haven't had a lot of time to prepare. If you want to talk about how you're feeling about it, I'd be happy to listen.

I'm completely unprepared to in terms of what to expect, though I'm quickly getting caught up and I'm not liking much of any of it. I had plenty of time. I just didn't want to think about it because I am tired of surgeries and being in pain. Now here it is...Wednesday is my date, so we'll be in it together. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for an easy procedure and swift recovery for you.

Hugs,
angie
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

Quote:
Originally posted by swank
By the bracelet I'm assuming you had blood drawn in case you need a transfusion and they gave you a bracelet. I had to wear mine for 8 days.
Bracelets, blood tests and enemas?! Aaaack! I can barely get through a concert with the bracelets they make you wear to prove you're old enough to get a drink from the bar. My wrist is clausterphobic! I guess I can live through the blood tests. But enemas? My doc did not tell me anything about this. He is in so much trouble!

Can I just have a poke in the eye with a sharp stick instead? ; )

hugs,
angie
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

Quote:
Originally posted by Angipoo
UGH!

Angie, I am in the same boat as you girl!

Today was my Pre-op.... I was blown out of the water when she mentioned "Fleet Enema"~ Since a few weeks ago I asked the Dr. if I need to do any bowel prep and he said NO! (he's in trouble w/ me lol).

But now that I have the bracelet, and that wonderfull Fleet box (sitting here on my desk staring me in the eyes *or should I say GLARING*) ~ Anxiety is starting to set in.......Reality is starting to look, dim.....
I couldn't tell which of the Angie's you were responding to, but it sounds like me. Talk about denial. Thank heavens my meeting with the registration nurse isn't until monday and my surgery is on wednesday, so it won't be more than two days of stupid bracelet wearing. But yep...the anxiety is starting to kick in hard. Last night was the first night I started poking my nose around on this sight and I could not sleep for several hours afterward. I'm not sure whether I would be better off not knowing anything and just dealing with it as it comes up ; ) At least I haven't been prepping for weeks. Good grief...the stress alone would kill me.

At least we have each other to help get us through this.

hugs,
angie
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenB31854
I thought I had made peace with my hysterectomy, which is May 31 and will be a possible TAV (hopefully TVH); however, I had my pre-op on Tuesday and have become obsessed and anxious again. I, too, am concerned about the Living Will. I know it makes sense, yet it's one more thing to add to my list of things to do before the surgery.

I know the thought of working up a living will makes me cringe. It's one of the things I work on for my dissertation research, but when it comes to knowing what I want, I have no idea. And my biggest fear about this whole thing is not waking up because one of the doctors was out to late the night before and didn't take my surgery seriously enough.

It does sound like you have a lot going on right now and a lot to live for though. I have lots of animals and a husband and brother to live for, so I guess the living will should be thought of, like you said, as one more thing on the checklist to do and we should focus on the happy things so that our surgeries will go better. After all, anxiety is not going to help our bodies deal with the stress of surgery or healing any quicker.

Easier said than done! But I am going to try : )

hugs and happy thoughts,
angie
Unread 05-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

hi ashevlin,

I am so glad to see a fellow sister San Diegan. I understand about the nerves. Mine are shot for the most part.
My surgery is on May 24th. My Pre-op was on Monday and that really put me into a spin.

Now that I am only days away, I think I really have every emotion out there. And all at the same time. :eyes:

I am trying to be as calm as possible infront of my kids, but I seem so ready to burst out at any moment.

If you are up to it, why don't you pm or e-mail me.

Keep smiling!

s
Kristi

TAH/BSO May 24th, 2005 due to Severe Endometriosis
Unread 05-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Nerves Nerves Nerves

Hello sisters,

I'm 5 wks. post op and I feel great! NO MORE PERIODS OR PAINFUL CRAMPS!!HEY!!

Even the thought of this surgery is very scary. It's all I could think about. I drove myself crazy, but now that it's over I can say that the waiting is the worst part. Once your at the castle and you get your happy juice, everything else falls into place. Before you know it the nurse is waking you up and it's all over. One very important thing is you just have to remember to take care of yourself afterwards and not over do it.

Somedays you just feel so good and it's very easy to over do it. i made that mistake once and started bleeding. The doc. was very upset at me and i had to spend a few days in the bed. I'm alright now, but i learned my lesson. So take it easy and rest!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register