LSH scheduled...anxious... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH scheduled...anxious... LSH scheduled...anxious...

Unread 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM
LSH scheduled...anxious...

I'm new here, but have been reading for the last couple of weeks and was able to arm myself with all kinds of info for my consult with my doc. I also managed to read some posts that scared me so now I am a little nervous!

A little history - I have pain/heavy bleeding/long periods, adeno, fibroids and a uterus full of scar tissue from 4 c-sections. I have also had surgery to remove endo and one cyst. I am not a great candidate for the ablation because of the size of my uterus and the fact that he thinks the area of adeno has increased since he first suspected it. He said at this point he would recommend the LSH. After lots of consideration DH and I agreed and I am scheduled for April 12th.

Now here is the problem, my last c-section was 1/11/07 and I had the worst recovery which is causing me to almost panic about bleeding. I had really heavy bleeding which led to two d&c procedures in the drs office, followed by tons of meds. Every time I went off meds the heavy bleeding would return. The last time I ended up in the ER and he took me in to to have a d&c, the bleeding didn't stop right away and I had to be admitted overnight. When I went home the bleeding was better, but after a week he put me on aygestin to try to get me back to "normal". I ended up with a bacterial infection and had to have more meds and when I went off the aygestin I literally thought I was going to have a panic attack. When my period returned, heavy, clots, lasted 2 weeks, I was anxious and miserable the entire time...now I am afraid that somehow the bleeding following the LSH will be heavy and I will go through what I am just starting to be able to put behind me. The dr agrees that for some peace of mind this has to be done and he said frankly he understands that if he were to try the ablation we would just be here at this decision anyway and that from a medical and emotional standpoint I am making the right decision.

Sooo..I guess I need a pep talk! I don't need my uterus, I don't want it I have been so lucky to be blessed with 4 wonderful children and at this point I just want it done and over with! So please tell me your LSH success stories!

Thanks,
Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM

i had a great experience with my lsh. i had it october 23rd, bled a bit right when my period was due following the surgery and never bled again. i kept my ovaries and i still ovulate every month. i get a little pms right before my period would be due. its really amazing. before my lsh, i couldnt leave the house during my period because of heavy bleeding. this surgery has been the best thing i've ever done. the recovery for me was very short and i've never had the tiredness that others have spoken about. i hope you're as happy as i am with the procedure. good luck!
Unread 03-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Welcome to the site! You have had such a hard time of recent, I think you will find the post surgery results welcome. Many women on here who have heavy bleeding find the release from the effects of heavy blood loss great. And some who experience major pain find their pain post op is less or no worse then what they have been dealing with.

I think no matter what type of hyst you have, you will have some abdominal pain. I felt, honestly, like I have been kicked by a horse. But that pain was well managed by pain meds and was only real bad the first 5 or so days.

Some women have bleeding post surgery and some don't. I spotted for a few days and that was it. Major bleeding post op would be an indication of a problem and probably would result in a trip to the ER but I wouldn't worry about that, its not that common.

Best wishes on your surgery.

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM

Hi Jennifer,

I had a LSH and it is good to have a quality of life back. I hope you have the same results.

For me in post-op, I had bleeding for about 10 days post-op. I have seen some cervix retaining ladies report that they had some on-and-off spotting for up to 6 weeks post-op which can be normal. With my post-op spotting, I just used normal sized pads. My Mom had actually bought me some maxi-size pads and I found I did not need them.

Mary
Unread 03-28-2007, 06:54 PM

My LSH almost 6 weeks ago went very smoothly, and overall was a VERY positive experience. Basically no post-op bleeding or discharge, and I'm already enjoying not having to schedule my life around bathroom visits.

We'll be thinking of you--you're due for an uncomplicated post-op experience and I'm optimistic it will happen for you this time.
Unread 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Hi aplacidlife...I can't offer any advice as my surgery isn't until April 30/07. (TLH)

My problems pale in comparison with what you have gone through but I just wanted to offer my best wishes on your upcoming surgery. Know you have made the best decision for you, just think of all you have endured.

I'm sending positive energy and white light your way. Good luck!
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:33 AM

Thank you ladies so much! The rational side of me tells me that everything is going to be fine. It's the irrational, sleep-deprived, hormonal side of me is the one I am trying to keep under wraps.

Off to think positive...I am going to have a good experience, I am going to have a good experience...I am....
Unread 03-29-2007, 07:17 AM

I had LSH on October 24, 2006. It was not bad at all. I was in the castle less then 24 hours (my choice) I only took advil after I got home, and was back to work in 13 days. I am so glad I was able to have this type of surgery. Waiting was the hard part Best of luck to you!!
Unread 03-29-2007, 07:25 AM

You will hear a milllion times that the waiting is the hardest part, and it was!
I had an LSH on 1/25 and I never had a bit of bleeding or any type of discharge after surgery. I do, however have what they call a mini period...it is very disheartening for me, because I had dealt with so much bleeding for such a long time-I wanted it to go away forever! It really isn't bad, just annoying...I bleed for about 24 hours, and I only need a pantyliner. Much better than 20 super plus tampons and 2 pads a day for a weeks, but still...
Overall, I do have to say this was a very positive experience. My recovery was fast and easy. My pain was very well controlled in the hospital, and I didn't have much once at home.
Good luck and take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register