TVH....Pain Meds In Hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH....Pain Meds In Hospital? TVH....Pain Meds In Hospital?

Unread 09-14-2004, 06:50 AM
TVH....Pain Meds In Hospital?

What kind of paid medication did everyone have in the hospital after a TVH? I have a friend who has been through the same surgery tell me to ask for a morphine pump, that it really helps. The doctor has okayed it, but someone else has told me that a dem shot would be the better way to go?

Opinions??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 06:56 AM

Some people react badly to morphine, but if you've never had it, you won't know until you try. I've never had demoral, so I can't give you advice on that.

I don't think either one is better than the other -- the advantage of the morphine pump is that YOU control your pain meds, and you don't have to wait for the nurse to arrive with the hypo.

Good luck!
Unread 09-14-2004, 07:05 AM

I had both, the morphine pumb and then went to the Demerol shot. Personally, the demerol shots were better. The morphine did nothing for my pain and I had several abdominal surgeries prior to my tah. Each time they intially gave me morphine it did nothing but make me itch alot. The demerol was definitely the way to go for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 07:52 AM
Demerol vs. morphine

Hi, My experiance with morphine was wonderful. Personally and this is just ME, demerol is one of the poorest pain medications I have ever had. you also have to consider that everyone reacts differently to pain meds. Demerol makes me moody and doesnt kill the pain. Morphine is one of the strongest pain meds you can get. like i said everyone is different. i would go for the morphine pump, then you can better control your pain level. Its also better because if the staff is busy you do not have to wait for a shot. carol
Unread 09-14-2004, 07:55 AM

I never had the moriphine, but I did get the demerol after my Uterine ablation. I was nauseated within 30 seconds. They had to give me something else to reverse the queasiness. But like the other ladies said...You won't know until you try.

Best of luck
Michelle
Unread 09-14-2004, 08:20 PM
TVH and Pain Meds

I was hooked up with a morphine pump in recovery. I used it that afternoon/evening, but the morphine just made me groggy. It didn't really seem to cut post-op pain much. I was talking to the night nurse about it. My pain wasn't that high on the scale (around a four out of ten), so she suggested a couple of tyleno--worked like a charm. I was alert, and pain-free.
I don't know if my tolerance to pain is higher than anyone else's, but a TVH avoids the external cuts/sutures, and subsequent muscle soreness. Doc prescribed Darvocet to take home, but I never used it. Just a few tylenol for a day or two.
The REAL pain is caused by gas/constipation. May I recommend you start with the high fiber/prune juice therapy before you go in for surgery?
Unread 09-14-2004, 09:19 PM

I didn't have the pump after my TVH, just whatever they gave me orally, and I did get a shot that evening. I was fine with the pain... but the gas!! ack... lol

When I had hematoma surgery later, I had the pump, but the vein blew out (more than once), and pushing the button only made my arm burn .

Hope this info helps
Unread 09-15-2004, 04:31 AM

Hi...

As you can see everyone has different experiences with pain meds! I have had both demoral (shots and in an IV) and morphine(IV) and my "drug of choice" would be demoral IV combined with gravol. With the IV the effect is quicker than with a shot but does not last as long as a shot. So I guess it will depend on the level of pain you have. I always had gravol along with. Morphine worked also but I just did not like the way it made me feel and even with gravol I still was nauseated. Depending on your pain and IF you DR. will give it to you...FENTANOL (patch) works extremely well...but this drug is very "potent" and many X's more powerful than either demoral or morphine... I would think your pain would have to be pretty bad before they would give you that.
Unread 09-15-2004, 05:10 AM
meds. in hospital

HI all, I just got back from my surgery. I think it depends on the person but the Demerol definately worked better for me. I had my demerol in a pump instead of a shot but last time I was in I think the shots worked better. The morphine didnt take away my pain but made me feel weird. Demerol was the way for me. good luck! pat
Unread 09-15-2004, 02:48 PM

Judging from all the posts where the demerol worked better for pain than the morphine for some, I am beginning to believe what a friend of mine who is a nurse told me. She said the Morphine is not made as strong as it was in the past also when I was first given the morphine in the pump and it didnt help the nurse in the hospital told me that the demerol is a stronger pain med than morphine. But as was posted everyone reacts to meds differently.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register