Should I keep my ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I keep my ovaries? Should I keep my ovaries?

Unread 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Should I keep my ovaries?

I am scheduled to have my surgery on 8/27. I had planned to keep my ovaries, but when I met with my gyn today, she would rather take them out. She said that due to my age (47), why not? I would be on hormones for 3-4 years and cut any risk of cancer later. I don't have to decide until next week and I'd really like some help making this decision. I hope I have posted this in the right place! Thanks, Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Lynn,
I am 25 y/o, I am having my ovaries removed because I have severe endo and reoccuring ovarian cyst. I will not be taking any hormones because of my family history of cancer and my endo. If you do not have any problems with yhour ovarys, like cyst, or a history of cancer in your family, then I would say do what you feel the most comfortable doing. I do find that most women are "attached" to their organs and worry about letting them go. (I am not one of those) Good luck with your decision, and just do what you feel the most comfortable with, I say take whatever out that might cause problems later! Good luck! Kelly
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Hi KSLynn!

Your question is one that is asked often here on Hystersisters.com. I hope that the following article from the Pre-Op Articles list prove helpful:

Keep Ovaries?

I hope that, in partnership with your physician, you make the decision that winds up being the best one for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2008, 09:52 PM

TAH/BSO 47 years old. Not too griefstricken as I figure I was nearing menopause anyway. Better there is nothing there to give me future problems is my attitude. I was very afraid beforehand though. 12 weeks out, can orgasm, not overly different as a person to how I was before, using oestrogen patches. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 08-20-2008, 06:15 AM

if they are healthy, the decision is totally up to you. by removing them, you will go into surgical menopause. its not bad for some, but it is for others..and you dont know how your body will handle it. i personally wouldnt remove anything healthy...even after menopause, your ovaries continue to provide you with a small amount of hormones. do lots of research on surgical menopause and make the best informed decision you can for yourself. good luck
Unread 08-20-2008, 06:43 AM

My date is the 27th also. I'm having a ovaries out for a couple of reasons. I'm 42 I have no kids (never wanted any - I like being an Aunt) I don't feel attached to them. One does have to come out the other was my option. I don't need it I will be HRT for about eight years and then try it without. It is a personally decision my Dr recommended it and friends and family agreed.
Unread 08-20-2008, 06:50 AM

I kept my ovaries even tough I am 51 and in peri-menopause. I wanted whatever hormones they naturally produce and figured they can always be removed, but not put back. Ovarian cancer, while deadly, is relatively rare.

Here is a quote from Obgyn.net.

"Ovaries continue to make small amounts of estrogen for years after menopause, and they continue to make significant levels of two other hormones, testosterone and androstenedione, at least until age 80. Muscle and fat cells convert testosterone and androstenedione into more estrogen, which helps protect against heart disease and osteoporosis. The incidence of heart disease and osteoporosis has been shown to be lower in women who have intact ovaries than women who have had their ovaries removed. While 14,000 women die of ovarian cancer every year, heart disease kills 450,000 women a year, or 30 times more women.." to read more go to this link...

http://www.obgyn.net/hysterectomy-re...n_conservation

Good luck with your decision, surgery and recovery - Joanne
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:37 AM

I had TAH at the age of 37 and kept my ovaries but i had problems start up again about 4 years ago with cysts and adhesions and ended up having A BSO 6 weeks ago which has been worse than the hysterectomy. If I had known I would have to go through it all again I would definitely had my ovaries out when I had TAH
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbo
I had TAH at the age of 37 and kept my ovaries but i had problems start up again about 4 years ago with cysts and adhesions and ended up having A BSO 6 weeks ago which has been worse than the hysterectomy. If I had known I would have to go through it all again I would definitely had my ovaries out when I had TAH
Thank you so much for coming on and sharing your story! I believe very strongly about removing cervix/ovaries if you have cyst or endo. I think it is so sad when women keep their ovary/ovaries who have endo.Its really a shame when women are misinformed to the point that they are terrified to let something be removed that is actually sick. I have even read some post where women say they are keeping there ovaries because there DR says they are healthy, yet they are complaining of cyst or endo. It just blows my mind how someone wouldnt research and use some common sense when making such an important decision. I thank you for sharing your story because it shows these women that having another surgery is a possibility if they choose to be so negligent in their decision.
Unread 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Hi KSLynn,

I was 46 when I had my hyst...and that was (4) years ago. I decided to keep my ovaries and they are still working great.

My ovaries are healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in my family. My Dr. told me that ovarian cancer occurs in 5% or less of women...so that was good odds for me. I was not prepared to remove my healthy ovaries to prevent something that might never happen. Also, as other Hyster Sisters shared, I read that the ovaries continue to secrete their important hormones well into menopause and the hormones are *free*.

In the end...just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register