Three days' post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three days' post op Three days' post op

Unread 06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Three days' post op

I had my TVH on Friday, June 18th. I had it because of pain and also because of an infection which my surgeon told me looked chronic and the only way to ensure it not coming back would be hysterectomy. The surgery went very well. I was so afraid before but thanks to prayers, I was not nervous at all the day of. They gave me Versed before the surgery and after surgery I woke up feeling a little short of breath and with a sore throat, probably from the tube, but I will talk to my doctor about it at my followup. I don't think it's appropriate to have a sore on the back of my throat and top lip afterwards. I was so thirsty so the very kind nurse who was with me in recovery gave me some wet swabs for my mouth which helped. I had pain, but they kept it under very good control. I went up to my room eventually. I really wanted to be one of those people who could say I only needed ibuprofen for pain control, but when I found I could not rest and just drinking water made the shoulder pain worse, I gave in and took the doctor up on his offer of hydrocodone. I have also had some trouble with bladder spasms when I go to the bathroom.

For those women who worry about waking up during surgery and don't know about it, they have the neatest thing out now that tapes to your forehead during surgery. It tells them if you are starting to wake up or if you are under too much anesthesia. Boy was I ever relieved to hear about that!

I felt up to going home that night and stayed at my daughter's place, since my surgery was out of town where she lived. I slept so well and felt so good that the next morning that we actually went to garage sales! Note: Don't over-do just because you feel good! You will pay for it later!

Sunday: Father's day. Celebrated with my family. Had a good time. Took a stool softener because I have not had a bowel movement since the night before surgery and not passing much gas. The stool softener kicked in that night and although it was painful, really helped the pressure and bloating.

Day #3, I decided today I would just let myself lay around and sleep because my pain had reached an all time high. It helped a lot because tonight the pain is under control with ibuprofen. I guess I'm not super woman after all. So far I have only had very light spotting. At the advice of the nurse in the hospital, I am changing my pad every time I go to the bathroom to keep it clean and dry and prevent infection.

This site has been so helpful and I know will continue to be helpful as I go forward now and have questions! Hopefully, I can be of some help also. God bless you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Re: Three days' post op

Congrats Pfinkum on being on the road to recovery! Sounds like you're doing really well so far - just be careful not to do too much too soon. I've also had a very easy recovery so far but admit that super woman attitude keeps creeping up & I have to remind myself to be careful!

Best of luck with the ongoing recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register