Anyone do an IUD for heavy bleeding 1st? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone do an IUD for heavy bleeding 1st? Anyone do an IUD for heavy bleeding 1st?

Unread 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Anyone do an IUD for heavy bleeding 1st?

This is my first post on here. I have been reading for a few months but after my visit today I have some question. I have terriable bleeding and it is starting to come sooner and last longer. When were talking about things to do to control it and we both agreed that the pill is not for me due to the cost of the pill every month. She also does not think that ablation would be the right choice for me since I am only 33 and that the heavy bleeding could come back and I would still end up having the surgery. She suggested that I have an IUD put in and it would give me relief from the heavy bleeding for 5 years. I am not sure I want to go that way first. I think I just want the surgery and be done with it but is that the right choice too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Re: Anyone do an IUD for heavy bleeding 1st?

I'm 33 also. I tried the Mirena and ended up bleeding every day that it was in. After about five months of that I had to get it taken out. I looked into the ablation but felt a lot like you in that I just want to get it over with. The IUD would have been ideal for me if it had worked. It is the least invasive option. Unfortunately it just didn't do the job for me. I know someone who has it and loves hers. Her periods stopped completely.

So, an IUD is not permanent, less invasive. You would need a new one in five years.

An ablation is a permanent thing. Pregnancies after an ablation are extremely dangerous. Also there's the chance that the lining could grow back and you would need a second one. You would need to make sure you have birth control in place.

I had to chose between the ablation and a hysterectomy and I ended up choosing a hysterectomy. I'm scheduled for it on Feb 15th. Have you checked out some ablation websites? I don't remember the address off the top of my head but there's a forum for women who have had ablations and they have some great information on there.
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM

I am not concerned with pregancies at all. I have 3 kids age 5-1 and my husband was fixed after our third. I am worried about having problems with the IUD just like you did. Right now until the end of june my insurace will cover all medical expences 100% since we have all ready met our maximun out of pocket for the insurance year (July 1 - June 30) This is part of the reason that I want to just get it over with if the surgey will end up still happening at a later date.
I have to choose between the IUD and hysterectomy and I am leaning to just having the hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Hi, and welcome!

I, too, tried the Mirena IUD. I ended up keeping it in for the full five years, though wanted it out sooner. (Long, unrelated story why I didn't get it taken out sooner -- ugh, doctors!)

During those five years, I did continue to having bleeding, of various heaviness, pain, discomfort, you name it. I was also on and off multiple medications, trying in vain to find the right, perfect combination of things that would solve all of my problems. Unfortunately, it just didn't work out. For me. (For other woman, the IUD proves to be the answer to all their prayers.)

Now, with all of that said, I'm very glad that I DID try the IUD first. I wanted to make sure that I exhausted every last option and possibility before embarking on a major, life-changing surgery. After 16 long and hard years full of suffering on a daily basis and trying everything, I decided to have my surgery (LAVH/BSO). I'm still in the recovery process and it hasn't been easy. Unfortunately, despite everything, I'm still having "what if" thoughts and second-guessing myself. But, I'm glad that none of that is over coulda-woulda-shoulda tried this or that.

In the end, it is obviously up to you (and your doctors) and these decisions are rarely, if ever, easy. There is no right or wrong. But, as was previously mentioned, an IUD can be removed/undone, while a hysterectomy is for keeps.

Good luck as you try to sort it all out, and I hope that whatever you do decide to do, it brings you peace, health, and happiness!
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Let me just toss out something from a different angle. What if the hysterectomy doesn't turn out as you plan? Mine didn't.

Yes, it did eventually stop the bleeding--but I bled for 3 months post op as part of my complications.

Those complications extended over two insurance years and costs me a pretty penny. The hysterectomy for me was only the beginning of a very long downhill path.

I would strongly recommend trying the least invasive option first. While I can understand your view, I have been on the negative side of hysterectomy so I have seen the costs--financially, physically, and emotionally--when that option doesn't go well. It was also very hard on my family and 3 and 5 year olds as they had a very sick mom who could do nothing with them for months. Additionally, the hysterectomy opened the door for several other health issues which affected me for years.

Seek a second opinion, get a diagnosis for your medical situation, explore your options, weigh your pros and cons, then do what is best for you--physically and financially.

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register