dVH/RALH What if you feel like you need more time off? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What if you feel like you need more time off? What if you feel like you need more time off?

Unread 04-03-2012, 03:36 AM
What if you feel like you need more time off?

Hello ladies!

My surgery was about 3 weeks ago, and I'm coming along alright, I think. My doctor filled out my paperwork for work (FMLA and short term disability) that I'd be out 6 weeks. My job is very flexible where it comes to FMLA and disability, thankfully. As I'm recovering, I'm feeling better in terms of pain, pressure, bloating (well, except the whole post-op swelly belly stuff). But I've been experiencing what I've read here that other's have experienced: I was feeling good, feeling more energy, and then in the past couple days I've crashed, have no energy and have to nap most of the day. Like I've hit a wall. It's frustrating, since I've been gradually increasing my activity, following my post-op "no no's" to the letter, and my DH is making sure I'm eating healthier than I have in a long time. I've also been taking some time to paint and draw, sitting for several hours at a stretch, which is nice because it's given me an idea of how my body's working up to tolerate a work day - I sit in a cubicle all day. So far, my belly hates to sit in an upright chair for more than 1 1/2 hours. (I'm not looking forward to trying to drive 45 minutes and then sit in a chair for a few hours to simulate my commute with the work. Right now short drives are uncomfortable.) All in all, I know I'm gradually improving. I'm just trying to gauge how my post-op recovery level combined with my other health complications (long-term spinal issues that can make sitting at a desk all day tough to begin with) will effect my ability to go back to work.

So here's my question... well, actually, 2 questions. 1st off, how/when do you know if you may need more time for your body to be ready to go back to work? 6 weeks may be great, but if I'm not quite up to speed, it may be really tough to do. Part time status would still be difficult for me, because I drive about 45-50 minutes each way, and adding how I feel after a drive to a work day (back and belly combined) may not make that any better than all day.
2nd, if you've determined that more time off may be necessary based on how you're feeling, how do you ask for that from your doctor? Would I need to discuss that with my company's HR department first, and then my doctor?
Oh, and I lied, I actually have 3 questions: how is it determined how much more time?

I don't want to baby myself, but at the same time, I don't want to push my body and compromise my healing. Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brains!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Re: What if you feel like you need more time off?

I would think a conversation with your doctor would determine whether you are physically ready to return to work and a doctor's letter could be sent to your HR dept. for the file. If you can afford (careerwise and financially) to take the additional time off and feel you need it then maybe it is fate telling you now is the time to rest!

Mentally ready to return to work is a whole different question
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM

I'm so glad that posted that question,,, I'm headed for my 6 weeks post op checkup this aFriday,, and I know I'm defintely not ready to go to work,,, Emotionally I am a messs and physically most of the pain has gone from my incisions, but,, When I try to it I feel such a pressure its unreal so I have watch the way I sit doen, also walking wears me right out, I tried to drive yesterday 20 min there and 20 mins back and my lower back and lower belly was killing me. I'm resting every 3 hrs or so because I get so tired. I hope she just doesn't send me back to work, I work at a high pace breakfast shop at a college so the only rest I get is lunch,, and they wonn't except part-time...I feel the same what to do?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM

Hey Mudd20 -
How was your 6 week post-op? What did your doctor say to you about going back to work? I had my 2 week post-op appt. a couple weeks ago, and my doctor released me unless I had problems - no other follow up appointments. I have tried to drive a bit, maybe 15-20 minute trips, and I have quite a bit of pressure and soreness, especially if I hit a lot of bumps in the road or have to brake quickly or something. I've been sitting at my dining room table and painting, and have only worked up to sitting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours before I'm all swollen and achy and have to head to the couch. I have a week and a half left, and between how I'm feeling physically as well as the emotional fun I'm having, I just don't see how I'm going to be able to go back to work yet and still be productive.

Jrabbit - I think you're right, I may have to give the doctor a call, and email HR and see what options I may have.
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM

Hi all,
I'm about 5 weeks post op from my dVH. I have good days & bad days. Lately they've been bad... Exhausted & nauseous. I was supposed to go back to work on 4/16 but my doc approved me to 4/24. My six week check is 4/20. They told me that to approve me for any additional time the doc would have to see me & I'd need a medical reason.

I work in ITS
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Oops...I work in IT & support our disability group & I know the standard time for dVH is six weeks. They would require justification from the doc to extend a leave.

I'm hoping I get it together soon but if I still feel awful I will push my doc to approve more time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register