5 days post hysterectomy: Anyone have persistent back pain since surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post hysterectomy: Anyone have persistent back pain since surgery? 5 days post hysterectomy: Anyone have persistent back pain since surgery?

Unread 07-03-2016, 09:44 PM
5 days post hysterectomy: Anyone have persistent back pain since surgery?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy (cervix and uterus only) with GA on Tues and went I came out of surgery my lower back cramping/pain was unbelievably severe. Morphine , muscle relaxants, NSAIDs and heat pads were ineffective for back pain control while in hospital. Now that I'm home I'm still experiencing the Back pain but I would rate it as moderate now. I'm able to tolerate the abdominal pain but I'm unsure of what to do about my back. Presently I'm using toradol (NSAIDs), a prescribed muscle relaxant, Tylenol ES , hot showers, heating pads and my husband is giving me regular back massages with peppermint oil which is a natural anti inflammatory . I'm unsure of what else to try? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy: Anyone have persistent back pain since surgery?

Kfischbuch1

Back pain post op is common in many women. I experienced some back pain post op. I did improve as time went on. I would say keep doing what you are doing. I can understand the frustration but as you recover and your core strengthens, your back pain should diminish.

Here is an article that may be helpful Back Pain After Hysterectomy

in there. It won't always be this way.

Unread 07-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy: Anyone have persistent back pain since surgery?

and waving hand wildly . This was me, middle back pain which is an unusual place for me to have back pain. Our backs are likely compensating for our messed up core, and I know that was true for me. If I did too much, even sitting upright which requires keeping your back aligned, I'd get that. Best things for me were (1) reclining, (2) heating pad and (3) foam roller or tennis ball to pinpoint the tight muscles. Of those 3, the reclining was the best - I didn't have to use my back, it was supported, and just the slight lean-back spread the weight across my hips which also helped my back. We don't own a recliner, so I strategically stacked throw pillows on the easy chair to let me lean back at just enough of an angle. I could still watch TV or read or check notifications. I'd lie back for about 45 minutes to an hour before getting up again. It helped.

I started turning the corner on that sometime in week 4. I still get mid-back pain at 7 weeks, but not as intense, not as often, and I don't necessarily have to take a break.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register