CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners

Unread 11-21-2008, 05:52 PM
CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners

From time to time we run contests here at HysterSisters.com. I just saw a fun one at another website and thought it was a fun idea. Let's try it here! Happy Thanksgiving!

This contest will run until Thanksgiving night, 11:59 pm (expiring November 27th, 11:59:59 pm CST) The TWO winners will be announced sometime on Friday, November 28th!

The prizes:

We have TWO Bed Trays to give to two different winners.... from the HysterSisters Store: (Take a peek here: Perfect Bed Tray for HysterSisters This is the cutest bed tray. We hunted high and low for this wonderful accessory and have loved the way it's dishwasher safe, durable, and that it folds to store. The colors are "way cute" too!

How to enter contest:

Reply to this thread telling us about your favorite Thanksgiving food. Share the recipe!

Two Winners Selected:
The two winners will be selected using randomizer.org based on the post #number of the reply.

Yes, you may reply more than once BUT each reply must be a separate food item and RECIPE.

And because my attorney requires the rules: This contest is void where prohibited by law. Your chance to win is based on the number of participating member's replies.

Okie, let's get started!

Reply to this thread telling us about your favorite Thanksgiving food. Share the recipe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Double Chocolate Parfait

1 large package of chocolate pudding (instant is OK)
1 bottle of Hershey chocolate syrup
Whipped cream
chocolate sprinkles

Prepare pudding as directed

Spoon a tablespoon of pudding in bottom of glass
Cover the spooned pudding with Hershey syrup

Alternate the above until the glass is filled, top with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate sprinkles, refrigerate until set

ENJOY
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Well, since after all I am a Princess, of course my favorite Thanksgiving food is.. something someone else has prepared well, served with love on a bed tray.. That is I'll have a bed tray if I win one here. So all that is left is someone to prepare me a great meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2008, 09:10 PM

I prepare a different menu each year...usually based on where I have traveled during the year...last year is was South American, this year, dinner will be a traditional Tuscan dinner.

Anyway, here is a favorite of mine, for the entire holiday season...a great appetizer...and yes, it can resemble cat food....but oooohhh soo good!

Mushroom/Pecan Pate

1 lb mushrooms, cleaned & chopped
1/4 C celery
1 C pecans
1/2 C Ricotta Cheese
1/2 C softened cream cheese
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 C shallots, minced
1/2 C parsley, minced
1/4 C unsalted butter
1 C bread crumbs
2 Tbsp fresh (or 1 tsp dried) basil
3 sprigs fresh Oregano
1 tsp salt
1 red pepper, chopped
1/8 to 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper

In a food processor, combine the mushrooms, celery, pecans, cheeses and parsley. Pulse to mix (it should be course). Melt 2 Tbsp butter, add shallots and saute until clear. Add mushroom mixture, remaining butter, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper and red pepper.

Butter an 8 cup loaf pan and fill with the mixture, cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees until tester comes out clean (about 50-60 minutes).

Serve at room temperature.
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Angry - CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbfree
Well, since after all I am a Princess, of course my favorite Thanksgiving food is.. something someone else has prepared well, served with love on a bed tray.. That is I'll have a bed tray if I win one here. So all that is left is someone to prepare me a great meal.
Very, very good one, justbfree!

Unfortunately for me, I just got my blood test results back today and I have been placed on a strict heart-healthy diet. I refuse to read all of these yummy recipes as it will only make me depressed and if I win a bed tray, I will have to use it only after my 5 hours of intense walking exercise each week!!! Looks like I will have to find another place to hang my compression stockings because I have to use my treadmill for walking now - Imagine that, using a treadmill for walking instead of a drying rack??!!!

This Thanksgiving, I will be saying grace over my fresh vegetables and fruits, almonds, whole wheat bun with Smart Balance spread, and high in omega-3 tuna fish because I have to lower my cholesterol AND my triglycerides!!! Then I will swallow my Zocor, Coumadin, and Benicar with 6 glasses of filtered water after I take a brisk 5-mile walk. Mmmmm! I can hardly wait! (Boy am I gonna miss my famous banana pudding - see recipe below if you don't mind having all of that saturated fat in your diet. I'm restricted! Boo-hoo...)

Bonnie's Famous Holiday Banana Pudding:

1 (14 oz) can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 (4 serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pint heavy whipping cream; whipped
1/2 box vanilla wafers
3 large bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice

In large bowl, combine water and condensed milk. Add pudding mix and beat well with electric hand mixer. Chill 5 minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon 1 cup of pudding mixture into large serving bowl. Top with 1/3 each of the wafers, bananas, and pudding. Repeat layering twice, ending with pudding. Chill. Garnish with banana slices and wafers as desired.

Mmmmm. My mouth can only water and remember how yummy this recipe is!
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Fresh Apple Cake

Fresh Apple Cake:

2 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. oil
4 c. diced apples
1 c. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are best)

Blend eggs and sugar well. Add oil, flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. Add vanilla. Add apples and nuts, blend well. (Batter will be fairly stiff.)

Pour into 9X13X2 metal pan that has been greased and floured (or use Baker's Joy.)

Bake @ 350 for one hour. Let cool 10 minutes in pan before removing.

So delicious and wholesome, you'll think it's not fattening. I just forgot to add about my apple cake, it's delicious topped with whipped cream!

Kara
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:38 PM

Chocolate & Bourbon Pecan Pie....A Southern Classic!

Pie Pastry:
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus a lil' more for dustin'
1/4 cup finely ground pecans
1 Tablespoon sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) UNSALTED Butter, cold and cut into small chunks
2 Tablespoons ice water, plus a lil' more if needed

Filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) UNSALTED Butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark corn syrup or sugar cane syrup (depends on where ya'll are)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract-go for real and organic; it's all worth it!
3 Tablespoons bourbon ( i suggest 4 Tbs. and that it be Jim Beam!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups pecan halves

To make the pastry: combine the flour, ground pecans, sugar,and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and mix with pastry blender or your hands until it holds together without being too wet or sticky. Squeeze a small amount together, if it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 Tablespoon at a time. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 inch circle. Carefully roll the dough into the pan (this may take a lil' practice) and lay it inside a 9-inch pie pan. Press the dough into the pan so it fits tightly and trim the excess off the trim. Place the pie pan on a sturdy cookie sheet so it will be easy to move in and out of the oven.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To make the filling: melt the butter and chocolate in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, remove from heat nad let cool. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until frothy and then blend in the sugar. Stir in the the syrup, vanilla, bourbon, salt, and the melted butter mixture until well blended.

Arrange the pecans on the bottom of the pie crust and carefully pour the egg mixture over them. Bake until the filling is set and slightly puffed, about 45 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a thin knife in the center of the pie, if it comes out pretty clean, you're good to go! Transfer the pie to rack and cool completely before cutting/
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:58 PM

My favorite dish for Thanksgiving is the cranberry sauce - WITH the rings from the can still visible! But for a delicious recipe, can't beat Aunt Vel's Sweet Potatoes:

1 lg can sweet potatoes
1 c sugar
1/2 c melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c milk
2 eggs, well beaten
- Drain canned potatoes, mash up real good. Mix all other ingredients into this. Put in 2 quart casserole and top with:
TOPPING:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c flour
2 1/2 tsp melted butter
- mix and sprinkle on top. Bake at 350o for 35 minutes.
Unread 11-22-2008, 01:10 AM
My Aunt May's Carrot Cake

Oh, so I can post again?? Here's another cake. I love cake.

3 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. raisins (optional)
2 cups carrots (grated)
1 and 1/2 cups corn oil
1 cup nuts
1 small can crushed pineapple (with juice)
3 eggs
1/2 cup coconut

Mix flour, sugar, soda, salt and cinnamon together.

Beat eggs. Add vanilla, carrots, corn oil, pineapple and coconut til well blended.

Stir dry and moist ingredients together and add nuts and raisins, if you wish.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour in 9x13x2 pan.

Icing: Beat together the following:
3 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cube butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

If you like carrot cake, you'll love this.

Kara
Unread 11-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Last one (Dill Dip)

Okay, peeps. Here's a fantastic dill dip recipe. So yummy.

2/3 c. light mayo. (or regular if you prefer)
2/3 c. sour cream
1 tb. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tb. grated onion
1 tsp. crushed fresh dill weed
1 tsp. bon-appetit (McCormick) (and it's optional)

Mix the above and try to put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before eating. Then spoon it into a bread bowl made from hollowing out a loaf of bread (preferably Rye or Sourdough).

Then you take the bread from the middle (that you hollowed out) and break it into small pieces and put it on a platter with your veggies for dipping. Insanely good!

Kara
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register