Scheduled TAH Mood swings after TAH/BSO ? (I am post menopausal, family history of breast cancer) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mood swings after TAH/BSO ? (I am post menopausal, family history of breast cancer) Mood swings after TAH/BSO ? (I am post menopausal, family history of breast cancer)

Unread 12-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Mood swings after TAH/BSO ? (I am post menopausal, family history of breast cancer)

I haven't had a mentrual cycle in 3 years. I'm having a TAH/BSO next Tuesday 12/8. I was told I won't need to be on HRT since I'm post menopausal. Has anyone here had this procedure after menopause? I am worried I'm going to have crazy mood swings after my ovaries are removed. Breast Cancer runs in my family and I would like to try to stay away from HRT. Any one out there had any similar experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Re: Mood swings after TAH/BSO ?

Hi huneyb2015 -

I cannot answer your question because I had my surgery before I went into menopause.

I do know that even in menopause ovaries release a small amount of estrogen. So I do not know if their removal would cause some mood swings. But, since breast cancer runs in the family, HRT may not be an option - but do talk to your doctor.

We do have lots of ladies on this site, do hopefully one with experience will see this post and respond.

Unread 12-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Re: Mood swings after TAH/BSO ? (I am post menopausal, family history of breast cancer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huneyb2015 View Post
I haven't had a mentrual cycle in 3 years. I'm having a TAH/BSO next Tuesday 12/8. I was told I won't need to be on HRT since I'm post menopausal. Has anyone here had this procedure after menopause? I am worried I'm going to have crazy mood swings after my ovaries are removed. Breast Cancer runs in my family and I would like to try to stay away from HRT. Any one out there had any similar experience?

Thanks!
Hello dear. I went through menopause 12 years before I had my dvTH/BSO. I didn't have hot flashes, but I did have the emotional swings (nothing crazy), fatigue, insomnia, etc. and the symptoms would come and go . . . I chose not to use HRT. After my surgery I noticed the symptoms that I had before increased but not drastically. I talked with my URO/GYN at my post op and she explained that my ovaries had been working a "wee bit" and that a slight increase in symptoms was normal. My emotions were a bit more than before but I never had the "crazy" mood swings.

on your surgery. Remember that we are here for you . . . we will be waiting on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Re: Mood swings after TAH/BSO ? (I am post menopausal, family history of breast cancer)

I was post menopausal when I had my BSO. I made it through natural menopause with years of hot flashes, but no HRT. But after the BSO, I had more hot flashes, insomnia, and brain fog. I had some mood changes but not wildly so. I did start HRT at that point. But many who have already been through natural menopause have no additional symptoms, mine is not the unanimous experience. There are non hormone options,that work for some. I suggest you keep a symptom log to see if you do have issues, and how they progress, if they start. I hope you are in the group that sees no change.
Unread 12-05-2015, 07:38 AM

Hello Hunnyb,

I shared your concerns on all counts as my
Mom had breast cancer, and other forms of cancer run in my family.

My surgery was years after menopause as well. I should just mention as a bonus, i suffer from anxiety, depression and panic attacks and I was concerned removing my ovaries would be "the last straw" so to speak for my mood swings. Luckily, my medication just needed to be tweaked a bit but there was no dramatic difference. You will need to see how you feel but there are many options available should you need help coping. Never be afraid to discuss your emotional recovery in my opinion, our mental health effects our physical recovery - so stress is not good for the mix.

I did experience insomnia and a brief period of both hot and cold flashes. I too was told by my doctor (and was reassured by reading our site) that my ovaries must have been producing some estrogen. These symptom did not last more than a few weeks and were bearable.

I did notice increased vaginal dryness, but was prescribed Vagifem for that.

It certainly helps to feel mentally prepared before surgery but try not to focus on the "what ifs" as best you can.

Wishing you all the best.

Hugs, M
Unread 12-05-2015, 07:47 AM

My TAH/BSO was almost four years after my last period. It was for endometrial cancer, so I wouldn't have been able to have HRT even if I'd wanted to. I didn't notice any post-surgical menopausal problems at all, including mood swings.

I live with chronic depression, so I "designed" my recovery to manage my depression as well as to help my body heal. I started walking outside as soon as I could, four days after surgery. Even when I wasn't walking, I spent as much time outdoors as I could, sitting out to read and sew. (Note that this was in June.) My bedroom is very dark during the day, so I built a day-nest in my sunny living room for times when I wanted to go horizontal.

Because I live alone, it was easy to blow off the housework, cooking, etc. The *only* thing I had to focus on was relaxing and letting my body heal. I think the absence of stress contributed greatly to my easy recovery, both physically and psychologically.

I should note here that I'm on an SSRI, citalopram. It's an anti-depressant, but for many women SSRIs are also effective against hot flashes and night sweats. I have to wonder if my meds contributed to my easy experience with both natural menopause and post-surgery recovery.
Unread 12-10-2015, 09:20 PM

Thank you all for your replies and helpful information. I'm 72 hours post surgery, and so far so good. I hope this keeps up, but I will keep a watch out for mood swings and such. I also gave my spouse and family a heads up!
Unread 12-11-2015, 09:15 AM

My TAH/BSO was on December 2nd. I had not gone through natural menopause yet and so far I've had a hot flash or two and some sweating at night. My mood has been pretty good though. The only time I felt weepy and sort of down was in the hospital but I think that is because I wanted to go home! Good luck to you in your recovery!
Unread 12-11-2015, 07:02 PM

HI! I was 7 years postmenopausal when I had my surgery and I have not experienced any problems since the surgery. My pathology stated my ovaries were atrophied, however I am overweight and I think I still have adipose generated estrogen in my system. I had a very easy natural menopause because like Surprised I am also on a SSRI for chronic depression.

Many women here talk about being moody after surgery (within 6 weeks), which may or may not be hormonal as some retain their ovaries. I think some moodiness is a result of the stress of surgery and it's aftermath and might be situational, which is natural after major surgery. Once you are physically recovered, that will be the best time to assess whether it is a hormonal mood change, and if hormones might be warrented. If you cannot take hormones due to cancer concerns, you might consider low dose SSRI antidepressants for symptoms.
Unread 12-11-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huneyb2015 View Post
Thank you all for your replies and helpful information. I'm 72 hours post surgery, and so far so good. I hope this keeps up, but I will keep a watch out for mood swings and such. I also gave my spouse and family a heads up!
It is good to see you on this side . . . I am so glad that your surgery went well. Thank you for letting us know. Praying with you that the mood swings will stay away.

Remember that we are here for you . . . please keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register