Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision? Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision?

Unread 07-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision?

I think we must be at a number to fill a library with shelves.

Mine is still there and I have been told it will not go away. If I wear troussers in a "thin" material it looks like the elastic in my panties is too tight - even if I am not wearing any.

I was told that only "heavy" woman would get it. Well I weigh 60 kiloes and am a european size 36-38. I don´t really know what they mean by "heavy" now!!I guess we all are if that is true.

I have found a few sets of underwear that hides it and I use that for the time being, but at some point I think I might treat myself to a boop-lift, and then they can do a "shelf"-lift at the same time:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2006, 05:36 PM

Welcome Jedosha and Kelstrup,
Kelstrup, I've heard it can take over a year for swelly belly to disappear completely so don't give up up. Thanks for writing in all the way from Copenhagen. Wow. You don't weigh much and aren't heavy by American standards either. LOL on the library of shelves!
Jedohsa, I had a feeling that a component of my swelly belly was fluid accumulation. My incision used to sweat quite a bit almost to the point of seeping, which I imagine is what a serotoma is. Used my hair dryer on low three times a day to dry it. I did loose quite a bit of blood in my surgery, not enough to transfuse, but maybe I had a bit of the hemotoma. Pain is not noticable anymore. I sure hope, and don't think, your aspiration procedure (if they think it won't re-absorb on it's own) will be as painful as your Dad's lung aspiration. But when it is over, it should relieve your pain and will give you a head start on your shelf reduction! I though mine would never go down, but it has gone down a lot.
I also laughed about the 'elastic' line when you aren't wearing panties. Still have some of that! Best, Asta
Unread 07-20-2006, 07:47 PM

I'm in the same situation, mine was done on May 24, of this year and I'm hoping it goes down a bit. I can't wear a swimsuit yet, unless it's shorts or has a skirt over it. Anyone out there whose shelf went away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2006, 08:49 PM

I thought the shelf was for propping the many books on that we read during this recovery time !?!?!?! Is it not?!?!?!? Mine has worked well for that purpose. When it hurts lower raise the book and sloch down to read. Just joking!! I have the swelly belly and tight incision every evening till I can't stand it and have to remove my pants. Good thing we girls have heard that phrase "Waist down" from the nurses so often. We just know what to do.
Unread 07-20-2006, 10:20 PM

I have the shelf too. Before, my tummy pooch was at least smooth. Now though, it cuts off abruptly at the scar. blah!
Unread 07-21-2006, 07:11 AM

It is amazing to me how the belly ebbs and flows, so to speak. Hard belly isn't a term allowed in my house at this time, unless I am laying flat and reading a hardcover book! Has anyone gotten scar tissue on the two incisions where the sling was attached for the bladder lift? Lumps, bumps, swelling...body beautiful NOT! Heal well.......
Unread 07-21-2006, 09:33 AM

Well ladies let me tell you, I not only have a butt in the back I also have one in the front. My daughter told me " your tummy looks like a butt!". Nice Huh? My incision is vertical so no shelf but a second butt.
Unread 07-21-2006, 10:26 AM

I had my TAH on March 21st and am now officially 4 months post-op. I am pleased to report that my "shelf," which I also referred to as my "inner tube" above my incision has finally gone down. I wouldn't say I have a flat tummy like I once did, but it's definitely a lot better. I just lost 7 pounds on the South Beach diet, so I'm sure that made a difference. I'm leaving for a conference in Hawaii in a week...powerful incentive to get back in shape! I'm on my treadmill 4-5 times a week, lifting weights, playing golf...so take heart, all of you who are still early in your recovery. It DOES get better!! At my 6-week post-op appointment, my surgeon led me to believe that short of liposuction or a tummy tuck, my belly wouldn't get much flatter (although she did concede I probably wasn't yet at my "baseline")...it was very discouraging...but she was wrong! I feel better than I have in a long time -- and so too will all of you! Best, Julie
Unread 07-21-2006, 12:24 PM

My first week home I also had the butt in front look because my fluffy belly has a vertical incision. I'm happy to report that now it just looks like a belly with a vertical incision, The swelling on either side has gone down a lot and I've lost 10 lbs. since my TAH without even trying. I met with my hemotologist today who said that I'm really doing good with losing weight. I told him I haven't done anything different and could it just be that I'm no longer bloated from retaining fluid? He said it may be that.
Before my TAH, my hemoglobin was 5.9 and my body wasn't functioning properly causing me to retain fluid. My belly was huge due to fibroids and my extra skin from an earlier 10.6 pound baby just hung. That skin is firming up now!!! I can't believe it. Is this happening to anyone else who had a big, stretched out belly?
Unread 07-21-2006, 03:25 PM

Hmmm, my TAH was 8 months ago, and I definitely still have "the shelf". I don't know why it is still there after all this time, but my stomach was always "near flat" before surgery. I am a great exerciser so this has been pretty discouraging. Anyone else out there have encouraging words for me that it may still go down. I also had to buy new clothes and I haven't gone near a bathing suit this year.

Thank you all for being there to share your triumphs, your concerns and your experiences...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register