Antidepressants for Pain??? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Antidepressants for Pain??? Antidepressants for Pain???

Unread 09-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Antidepressants for Pain???

So after 5 months post TAH doctor has put me on some low dose antidepressant for the constant aching I am getting along incision.

I have had scans etc to find out why - looks like nerve pain.

Dr assured me was only giving for pain!!! Been my dr for alot of years and she knows I am a nutcase at the best of times -LOL.

Don't feel comfortable being on them - 3 days in and not feeling so much like a zombie - still have the discomfort!!! She said to try for a couple of weeks then let her know how I am going. Figured I would ask what is a reasonable time frame to get over 'the nerve pain' and give myself an end date to get off them.

Anyone else being treated this way for pain??

Feeling like the cure has been worse then the disease!!!

Reacted to 2 lots of antibiotics I have been given since - allergic (never been allergic in my life to anything) to one and would you believe toxic hepatitis from the other.

This was all supposed to make me better!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 04:04 AM
Re: Antidepressants for Pain???

I took Cymbalta for pain only for about a year and it caused a tremendous weight gain, and I was not myself. I researched it and was astounded at how awful this drug could be for you! I quit cold turkey and it's no picnic for sure. I wasn't a zombie, just not me. I personally chose pain over meds.
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:21 AM

I have never heard of being on an antidepressant for pain like that. I am on one (a low dose) and it has not helped in anyway for my pain in my recovery from my TAH! I know that I asked my doc about the funny feeling around my incision and she stated that that funny feeling is going to be there for at least a year! I do not have pain in it. More like when your foot falls asleep!!!!
I would keep a daily journal of how you feel when you take this new medication. Write down times that you take it, write down what you were doing when you feel something.....dizzy, sleepy, pain went away, pain stayed, etc. The meds that your on may take some time to work. Your body has to adjust to this new medication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 06:22 AM

I am on a low dose anti depressant fir hot flashes. No real side effects but it is helping with the flashes greatly. I was getting almost constant flashes day and night, now only occasionally.

It can be powerful taken at a high dose, but I am on the lowest. But fir the heck of it I am going to try taking it every other day and see howvut works, now that it has time to build ip in my system.
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:59 AM

I have heard of lots of people being successfully treated for chronic pain with antidepressants. Some antidepressants work on the same receptors as pain, which is why they are effective; unfortunately it can sometimes be a trial-and-error to find the right medication, and it can take from 4-6 weeks for the full effects to be felt once starting or changing doses.

I hope you find something that works for you! Best wishes!!
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:44 AM

yeah my doctor gave me an anti-depressant for pain a few months ago, I googled the kind she gave me to find out and it is used for pain as well. No worries.Take care
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM

I was on an anti-depressant for chronic back pain...it does help, but it can take awhile. There are so many different kinds out there, so hopefully your doctor can find one that works for you.

So sorry you are going through all of this. Hopefully it gets back on the right track ASAP!
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM

Thanks ladies.

Yes, I have been busy goggling and apparently they even give the antidepressant for chronic bed-wetting!!! I didn't know you could be on them for pain until my DR told me and I researched.

I am on 10mg of Endep (which is amitriptyline) and apparantely for depressive symptons you take nearly 100mg or more (my DR made a point of showing me the dose they give for depression etc - I guess she was trying to convince me she is only putting me on them for pain). Gosh for the first couple of days I was pretty zonked (better now) so can't imagine how you cope on 100mg.

As long as I don't get any nasty side effects I will give it a good try. I struggle taking pills and am trying to convince myself I don't need to be on them but if they aren't going to harm me they might also help.

I have been feeling so much better (finally no longer anemic) but for the burning aching which will vary in intensity and which was stopping me just getting in with my life - sometimes I would just have to lie down - panadol/heat packs not making any difference.

Yes, and I did read about them also helping with hot flashes.

Thanks for your comments.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register