59, bleeding fibroid, D&C successful but ablation was not (Updated) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

59, bleeding fibroid, D&C successful but ablation was not (Updated) 59, bleeding fibroid, D&C successful but ablation was not (Updated)

Unread 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
59, bleeding fibroid, D&C successful but ablation was not (Updated)

Greetings to all, this is my first post. I would appreciate any insights/advice/success stories.

Just the facts:

I'm 59, postmenopausal, had used HRT (Vivelle patch and Prometrium 100 mg.) for about 10 years. Have experienced 3 episodes of post-menopausal bleeding in the last 1.5 years; trans-vaginal ultrasounds each time showed a solitary 4.7 cm mean diameter submucosal fibroid, and normal (4 mm) endometrial thickness. The most recent episode of bleeding was more extreme (some clots, some gushing), and was controlled by an emergency, tapered dose BC pill prescription.

I stopped all HRT when this 3rd episode of bleeding began in early May.

I had a D&C 2 weeks ago; thankfully, pathology report is negative. MD tried to perform an endometrial ablation along with D&C, but pressure readings would not stabilize, and he decided not to proceed for safety reasons; ditto for hysteroscopic myomectomy. Thus, I still have the fibroid, and am still having some bleeding (have been told this can continue for some weeks post-D&C, especially given the fibroid's presence).

MD who performed the D&C is retiring, so I've established with a new MD who is trained in robotic surgery and comes very highly recommended. Had my 1st appointment with her last week. Working theory is that dysfunctional bleeding resulted from interplay of HRT and fibroid; current hope is that quitting HRT will result in fibroid settling down, thus avoiding the need for a hysterectomy. She prescribed Lysteda (tranexamic acid) to forestall another heavy bleeding episode; I have taken it for the past 3 days, and it has greatly reduced the spotting. (I am so happy to have learned about this medication!)

If anyone out there has a similar story, I'd love to hear it. I would like to avoid a hysterectomy at all costs, given the negative pathology report. My new MD is not keen on the idea of performing a myomectomy, given my age. Preserving fertility is, of course, not a concern for me; but preserving sexual function and avoiding the pain and down time of major surgery is! My next appointment is with a naturopath, to discuss alternatives.

Sorry for the wordiness; if you've made it to the end, thanks for reading, and best to all here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Decision-making limbo - could use some advice!

Here is my dilemma: Five weeks post-D&C, I am still having *very* minor spotting (as in, pinkish-red on TP, but nothing on a mini-pad worn all day). It is intermittent and capricious - nothing for 1 to 5 days; then slight spotting again. Given some of the "I almost bled to death" stories I've read here, I feel guilty and ridiculous even mentioning it - but it is driving me crazy. Every time it starts up again I feel despair, as I am very much hoping to avoid having a hysterectomy.

My MD (daVinci-trained, very bright, I like her) says if I'm not hemorrhaging, and not anemic, there is no need to rush into anything. I've quit all HRT, in the hope that the fibroid will settle down on its own with less estrogen exposure. We are playing the wait-and-see game.

I'm really anxious to hear from anyone who's experienced similar symptoms...thanks for reading, and best wishes to all.
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Re: 59, bleeding fibroid, D&C successful but ablation was not (Updated)

I would suggest you seek a second opinion with a gynecologist to see what is best for you. Another doctor may agree with a wait and see approach, or may have some other insights for you to consider.

Did you see a naturopathic physician? What was his/her opinion?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register