Question about the cost of surgery $$ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about the cost of surgery $$ Question about the cost of surgery $$

Unread 06-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Question about the cost of surgery $$

Good Morning my sisters:
My question is what is the approximate cost of LAVH with a 2
day hospital stay. My insurance covers 90% (thankfully) but I still need to budget my out of pocket expense.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2003, 10:08 AM

Hi!

I had my LAVH 16 months ago. My total costs, including hospital, doctor, lab, etc came to about $ 16,000. I spent 1 night in the hospital.

Take care.

s
Unread 06-25-2003, 10:36 AM

I'm still paying off my bills so they're laying around here somewhere. I had summarized my bills for someone in a previous post here's what I have ...

So far my share of the bills are:
A path report - $24.92 out-of-pocket, originally $200
Anestheisia - $169.48 out-of-pocket, originally $1235
DR's surgery fees - $436.38 out-of-pocket, originally $3600
Hospital stay - $1221.99 out-of-pocket, originally $8919.64

I had a LAVH/BSO and the surgery took 2.5 hours of OR time. I stayed two nights in the Castle. My room was about $600 a night.

My insurance is Blue Cross with a preferred provider and co-pay option. However, we get our insurance through my husband's employer with is in a different state. IF we lived in that state our out of pocket would be a lot less. Because we need to go to DR's where we live we never get the $20 co-pay option. Our annual out-of-pocket cap is supposed to be $2500.

We get up to a $4000 state tax deduction (straight, not itemized) for medical expenses through a medical savings plan. On our federal taxes we'll have enough medical and dental bills this year to itemize the amount that over 7.5% of our taxable income. This is the first time EVER we've taken that deduction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2003, 10:41 AM

And I should have mentioned costs vary greatly depending on your state and the hospital. For instance, where we used to live my husband had a surgery and the insurance company required him to spend one night in the hospital. His DR's fee was $5000 and the hospital was over $10,000! You can call your DR and the hospital to ask them what you can expect. The only other surprise is the A-man. Usually you don't know who your A-man will be until you're almost to the OR and by then it's too late to figure out how much your insurance will cover.
Unread 06-25-2003, 12:58 PM
OUT-OF-POCKET CAP

Check your insurance booklet. If you are part of a group plan, you should have an out-of-pocket cap which you will probably reach with this type of surgery. If you can't find it, check with your benefits manager, she/he should be able to tell you what it is.
Unread 06-25-2003, 02:25 PM

I had TAH on the 10th but haven't received any bills yet. I stayed from the 10th 5:30 AM to the `12th 2:00PM. They were very adament that I had to stay until 2:00 PM to see if I had any fever.
Unread 06-25-2003, 02:36 PM

Glad you asked this question. I had my TAH/BSO 5/27 and still haven't received any bills-except my dr, they called me before and said this is what it normally costs, can you pay up front. (I guess that was just in case I didn't like his work-lol). That comes to about 285, my portion of his bill. I'm surprised I haven't heard a word from hospital, anesthes. dr., or anyone else. I'm not letting it bother me, this surgery was too important to let that stress me out.
Tricia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register