fear of general anestesia... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fear of general anestesia... fear of general anestesia...

Unread 01-21-2002, 10:37 PM
fear of general anestesia...

I have such a fear of being put to sleep for my surgery. I have had general ansthesia twice. Once to have my wisdom teeth pulled and then when I had my laparoscopy. I did just fine both times, but I am still scared of it. My Step-mother told me "it's like having one foot in the door". Knowing that I did fine before, does that pretty much mean I'll do fine this time. I guess it's my biggest fear. My surgery's not for 4 months...ugh! So I have lots of time to think and worry about it

I guess I need some reassurance that I will be just fine

Anyone else have this same fear or am I just being a worry wort???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2002, 11:38 PM

I am also scared to death of general anesthesia, especially of being intubated!! :cry: I've only had general once, sodium pentathol for my wisdom teeth. I was okay but very sick to my stomach after coming out from under...and that was only a light IV solution.

I'm not afraid of pain, heck, the pain I've been having is one of the main reasons I'm considering surgery. Mine is also at least a couple of months off, so I am in the same boat as you...too much time to think and ponder everything that might, could, should, will, won't go right or wrong.

Mind if I join you in that ??

If (well probably when) I do have surgery, I'm seriously thinking about (a) hypnosis or something to help me get over all this anxiety, and (b) having a spinal anesthesia. From what I have read on these forums, that's the way to go for us who are ! Maybe you could ask your doc about that option for you, I am sure going to.

You're not alone, I think this must be one of the most common fears about any major surgery. I hope we both get over it one way or the other.

Unread 01-22-2002, 01:35 AM
Pasdechat

Hi there and hugs mate. I sooo know where you are coming from with your fear of having a general. I was so like you. Terrified and made myself a complete and utter mess. I even went to see a shrink who is also a hypnotist. He told me that it was a control issue and that I did not want to go under as it would mean that I am not in control, he was so right. He gave me a relaxation tape and a few pointers and said that in the end it was up to me. I was still a mess the day of my op, but he did help and yes I was also fine. The fear is real but please try to relax and be positive that all will be well. Have faith in the people who will be in control of taking care of you. Good luck and keep us posted. Hugs Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 05:02 AM
Please Don't be Afraid

Having had bad prior experiences with post-anesthesia severe sickness, I was nervous last March about having the hysterectomy due to the anticipated upset afterwards. With an esophagus with erosions that bleed with severe vomiting, I was afraid the same would occur. I mentioned this very thoroughly and carefully to the anesthesiologist in pre-op. I am quite happy to report no post-anesthesia problems with nausea, etc. Just the usual "hangover" for a bit. Anesthesia has greatly improved the last few years. The worry is very genuine; be sure the doctor knows and I think you will be all right.
Unread 01-22-2002, 05:39 AM
Hello!

I can only offer some support, and tell you if you did not worry you would not be normal, but please dont let it consume you. : My DH is wonderful for reminding me, that when I worry I can't think of all the GOOD things that go on around me. You have months to think about your surgery, but think of how much better you will get to feel, how pampered you will be and this sounds silly, but find a project to take up your idle time that you may start to worry in. I know I have cross stiched myself into oblivion, but I worried more about my poor knotted floss during those moments than if anything was going to hurt or if I would be barfy after surgery.

To clue you all in on HOW big of worrier and I am...the staff at the hospital knew me on sight and by my voice on the nurseline (giggle).

's

Jamie
Unread 01-22-2002, 05:50 AM

Ask your doctor about having a spinal. It's becoming more common now, although many doctors still prefer that the patient is under. If your doctor won't, consider going to another one. One thing to note though is sometimes the patient has to be put under general anyway for medical reasons once the surgery has begun.

I wouldn't worry about the tube in your throat- you'd be under by then and won't even know it. Some people have a sore throat because of the tube after surgery, but I did not.

You are given an anti-nausea shot after general, but it doesn't always work. There are numerous drugs now for general anesthesia ,so discuss with the anesthesologist if you've had nausea in the past. In my case I am allergic to sulfites, and many anesthesia drugs contain them , so they used an alternative. I was just fine.

It's very normal to feel as you do (the control issue). Remember that general anesthesia is very safe, even safer than it was 20 years ago.
Unread 01-22-2002, 08:56 AM

Hon, I know how scary having the general is, but you really WILL be fine. I've had generals twice, once for a laproscopic gallbladder removal and once for my TAH, and both times I had NO nausea or any other problems at all. When I talked to my anesthesiologist right before the surgery, I made sure that he knew that I feared being nauseaous and vomiting even more than I feared pain. He gave me a "cocktail" of 4 different drugs to make sure that didn't happen and I didn't have one queasy moment at all. I wasn't given the option of a spinal because my surgery was so extensive due to the size of my fibroids, but I don't think I would have gone that route anyway. A lot of women do very well with it, but I can't imagine that it would have been any easier than what I experienced with the general and a wonderful anesthesiologist. I woke up pretty clear-headed both times and just dozed off an on for a few hours afterward, not at all a bad thing after major surgery. If you're comfortable and trust your DR., sometimes you just have trust him/her to make the best decision for you based on your individual case.

What you discover aftr it's all over is that the things that you worried the most about are the things that caused you the least trouble. It's the little things that you didn't even consider that are a pain in the you-know- what! <g>

Arebella
Unread 01-22-2002, 09:43 AM

I was scared, but I think that is a normal feeling.When I met the Anesthesioologist,He said he would be the guy that puts me to sleep,I told him he better make sure I wake up,Then he put mask on me and I told him I couldnt breathe I guess it was just oxigen not sure but they took it off, then Medicine in I.V. started me to drift off I told every one goodbye and to pray for me, And I was out. But before I drifted I started thinking of Jesus cradleing me in his arms and that the surgery table was surrounded with his angels and that seemed to relax me.You will be ok Pray for God to take the fear from you, put your life in his hands and you will be ok.Take care and God Bless you! Ill be saying a prayer for you.
Unread 01-22-2002, 03:16 PM
FEAR OF ANTHESIA

Hi

please please dont worry, there is no one worse than me, honestly..l come round from ops than stay away, none of that sleeping for 8 hours for me....the next 48 hours are brill, then it starts....I throw up for England, it doesnt matter what they give me, they have promised me the earth previously...I am 13 days preop and am getting so jittery, just for this reason, the last op I had was a bowel op, hubby came to see me the same day and swore I hadnt had it done cos I looked so good, 48 hours later as my Mum In Law was walking down the ward I was doing an excorcist inpersnation,. and got through three nighties within an hour....please please dont worry, again, they have promised me the earth, and moon and stars this time, I am having the full hysterectomy.. but deep down I know what is going to happen...I will be thinking of you...
lots of love and best wishes
Ali Millsxxx
Unread 01-22-2002, 04:34 PM

Hi I also had the same feelings and probably will again, Im due for surgery TAH/BSO in late Feb.
However I had a Lap in September which changed my previous experiences with GA. I told the anesthatist how scared I was, he was so kind, gave me spray local in my arm before setting up the IV. I think acknowledging your fear really helps.
I tried to rationalise the fear a lot, and talked it through with a pastor. Talking about it helped me to cope. I prayed a lot too. Find someone you can work it through with, it doesnt have to be a professional, just someone who listens. It worked well for me.
All the very best..
Lujo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register