A gruesome question!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A gruesome question!!!! A gruesome question!!!!

Unread 03-24-2002, 02:10 AM
A gruesome question!!!!

Okay, I know I sometimes think about some very odd things, but maybe someone can help me out with this. I'm scheduled for a hyst on 4/5/02, and they're going to try and do it vaginally. My question is...how do they get all the stuff up there that they need to? I've had four vaginal deliveries, one of a baby with a 15-inch head, but even so, I can't imagine getting two hands and all the instruments and everything up inside!!! How do they see what they're doing??? I just can't picture this. I realize probably nobody but a surgeon knows the answer, but hey, asking is worth a chance. Maybe the surgeons keep it a scret for a reason! LOL!!!

Hope I haven't disturbed anybody!

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi Kris,

I did not have the same procedure you are going in for so I can't shed alot of personal light on it. However, we've all had lot's of questions about "how they do all this". Some of mine I can laugh about now
Anyway, the 5th post down from the top of this page has lot's of wonderful links to sites that will give you more information than you can imagine. Thank you Vicki!
I've added a few here that you can get started on.
Warning lot's of pictures and very graphic, but it is there if you really want to know and see what will happen
Good luck

http://www.yoursurgery.com/Procedure...m?BR=7&Proc=28
http://www.pelvicfloor.com/index.html
http://www.wdxcyber.com/mhyst.htm
Unread 03-24-2002, 02:05 PM
A gruesome question!!!!

Kris,

I'm sort of laughing at your post. I'm all for being informed, reading a lot, etc. But I draw the line at the live videos ... my DH and DD both love those medical shows where they show surgeries and people having their skulls cut open, etc. UGH! As much as I admire doctors, I just don't have the stomach for that stuff. It makes me light-headed just watching. So, in my case, I'm better off not having every single detail about instruments, openings, and the rest. It was enough just to read my operative report!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 06:14 PM
A gruesome question!!!!

Frankly, even tho I work in the medical field, I have not seen a vag hyst. Experiencing it was enough for me! I must say that although the docs seem to be working somewhat blind, this procedure has worked; and I am grateful that it did for me! My DH has so much respect for my gyn, he just is amazed that this procedure is successful! I know some patients must know exactly what is being done, but it wasn't for me! Make sure you want to pursue the graphic portion picturally, maybe a verbal explanation from your doc will be just as settling.

Unread 03-24-2002, 06:37 PM
A gruesome question!!!!

I too had a vag. hyst. and I too wanted to know all the things you do. Those pics. at pelvicfloor.com were a real eye opener! Made me very glad I was asleep for it! Have to say doctors are amazing it's still hard to figure out even after the visuals!I wish you a very successful surgery, you'll do great!
Unread 03-25-2002, 09:28 AM
A gruesome question!!!!

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Thank goodness for those cause they can look at this everyday. I'm with you though. I can't even watch those TV shows.

I know some of our sisters have actually watched their own surgeries. I will never be so brave.

Good luck.

Unread 03-31-2002, 02:14 AM
Thank you!

Well, I looked at those links...and scared my aides half to death (I was at work at the time) by yelling "Oh my god!!" Well, that's what I get, huh!!!

Although I still believe that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't!!

Hard to picture that happening to me, though.

Only six days to go, now!

Tick-tock!

Thanks again--Kris
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:48 AM
A gruesome question!!!!

I had my surgery this way and I am so glad I was asleep
I tried to look at the pictures cause my dh thought he wanted to
so he could understand what was going to happen but after the first 2 I knew I didn't want to know and he knew that he would just have to trust the doctor
but it was a real eye opener for him
and let me tell you this it taught him that I was not pretending that I was hurting or could not walk fast and that I need my rest or sleep
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 03-31-2002, 09:15 AM
A gruesome question!!!!

Hi Kris,

I had a TVH, and hadn't thought to ask my doctor how she was going to do it. Several days after my hyst I found the pelvic floor site that Seeshelley posted about.

It truly is amazing what doctors can do, isn't it?

Best of luck to you - Be sure to let us know how you are after you've been home a couple of days.

's

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register