Endo Cancer and HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo Cancer and HRT Endo Cancer and HRT

Unread 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Question - Endo Cancer and HRT Endo Cancer and HRT

To start, I just turned 34. In January I was diagnosed with grade 2 endometrial adenocarcinoma, stage 1. I had LAVH-BSO on 1/26 and today had my first post-op with my oncologist. My lymph nodes were clear as was the abdominal wash.

I have my first post-op with my GYN tomorrow. I planned to discuss HRT with her but after reading posts here I also talked to my gyn-onc today. He said that there is a lot of conflicting evidence, and that he felt none of the studies that have been done really apply to me, mostly because of my age. He said the surgical menopause in my case would be much worse than the small risk of increased breast cancer and blood clots/stroke.

What do you ladies think? I went from "unsure" to "no way" before today, but now that my oncologist is telling me the surgical menopause will be really bad in my case.... is it worth it? I got the Vivelle-dot in the hospital and got a one month Rx from my GYN (we were not sure I would have my ovaries out, so we had not really discussed HRT at all). I assume since it's a one month Rx that it is on her agenda to discuss tomorrow as it is mine. So far Vivelle is working for me - I have not had any hot flashes other than the one I had an hour after I woke up in the hospital. I know I don't want to be on HRT until what would have been my normal menopause (probably 15-20 years from now).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Re: Endo Cancer and HRT

Hi

I would listen carefully to what your gyn/onc and gyn are telling you. They are the ones who know your personal situation and risks.

Concerning HRT, the Vivelle dot is a great product. When it concerns HRT, if something works for you, don't change it. You might want to be aware however, that it is common, even with the right HRT, to experience hot flashes and other symptoms 6-8 weeks post op (more or less). This is when many women exhaust the supply of estrogen that was stored up in their bodies. It does not mean that your HRT is not working. It is just an adjustment period, when your body adjusts to getting all of its estrogen from the new source.

Also, when a woman has healthy ovaries, they continue to produce estrogen for her for the rest of her life, just in smaller amounts. I am 54 years old, and am taking enough estrogen to keep me at a normal postmenopausal level. This aids in bone and heart health, and also helps with brain function, among other things.

Let us know how your appointment goes, and what you decide.

Kay
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Re: Endo Cancer and HRT

My gyn agreed with my gyn-onc. She actually upped my Vivelle to .075 (I was using .05). At first I didn't think I needed to increase it, but then I noticed I am crying at the stupidest things, so I'm willing to try it.

Long term I'm not sure how long I want to use HRT, but for the next year or so, I'm bought in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register