abdominal binder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abdominal binder abdominal binder

Unread 06-29-2011, 09:28 PM
abdominal binder

Can someone please tell me about how many weeks the abdominal binder should be worn after an abdominal hysterectomy? I am 3 weeks post-op and can't go without it, is that normal and when should I stop wearing it? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Re: abdominal binder

Thinking back now that I am 2 yr from having mine. I think I wore mine for about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks. I started using it when I felt uncomfy. Use it as you need. I would also check with your doctor and see what they think, Best of luck
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:06 AM

I'm sure it's different for everyone. I used mine like crazy for the first week, and hardly at all this week.....I would just keep using it until you feel ok without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2011, 07:09 AM

'everyone is different, I wore mine for a good 4 weeks, youll notice when you fell ok with out it. I still use my pillow with the seat belt though, i fear having to stop quick and the seat belt digging into my belly...ouch!
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:06 AM

I am about 3 1/2 weeks post op. I am still wearing mine when I work. I stand for my job, so it makes me feel like I have just a little extra support, not to mention a little extra cushioning. I am a hairdresser, so when I lean forward on the sink to wash hair, I just feel better knowing I have it on. I'm working part time this week, then only 3 days next week after the holiday. But the binder gives me a little extra "Piece of Mind".
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm at 2 weeks post-op today and wish I had ordered it pre-op. it is amazing! I am a side sleeper and the binder allows me to sleep on my side without feeling like my insides are falling out!! came in the mail yesterday and couldn't get it on quick enough! it takes the stress off the incision when I'm standing and walking - curious how long I will 'need' it, too?
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:53 AM

I just started leaving mine off for longer periods of time while upright, and I'm 5 weeks postop.... Use it as long as you feel you need it. You might want it some days and not others, you might only feel you need it when you're walking, etc...
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks everyone, that helps me out a lot! I feel I will still need it for a while though! Thanks for the idea about the pillow and the seatbelt, I hadn't thought of that. I use the pillow in the car to lean against but when I start driving it will be a good idea to use it with the seatbelt. I am so scared to have it too tight around me.
Joy.Joy I wish you would of had one coming out of the hospital like me too. I'm glad you got one though and yes it is wonderful. We will have to keep in touch and let each other know how long we wear it.
I hope everyone is doing okay. I appreciate all the advice and input!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register