Pink spotting and Drinking Alcohol Post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pink spotting and Drinking Alcohol Post-op? Pink spotting and Drinking Alcohol Post-op?

Unread 04-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Pink spotting and Drinking Alcohol Post-op?

Hi ladies!

I am nearly 4 weeks post-op, and am wondering if anyone else is having pink spotting. It is not heavy at all, a little on a pantyliner and there when I wipe. I had been only having brown for over a week. Is it from doing too much? I have been steadily increasing my activity, but not trying to do anything dramatic.

Last night dh drove me to have a few drinks with my best friends (one is getting married next week, I am the matron of honor) a little bachlorette party. I had one margarita and some appetizers and was in the bathroom with stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea for the next couple hours. So embarressing!! I sipped water until we went home, I have never had that happen. I am not a big drinker but can usually have 2-3 drinks without being anywhere near being sick. It was still a fun night without the drinks, I just thought it was really weird.

Is this from surgery too?

Betts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2006, 09:34 AM

Hiya Betts! I have had a bit of pinkish discharge too. I review my post op instructions every couple of days and I was told to call my doctor if I had "excessive bleeding." So I have not called and I'm not concerned. I will see doc Tuesday and will ask. I really am not worried about it at all. Some days there is nothing, some days it is pinkish.

RE: alcohol - I've had a few in moderation and no problems, at least not like what you described! WOW! Bummer!
Unread 04-09-2006, 09:44 AM

Hi Betts
It could be that you have stitches letting lose. As they dissolve little pockets of blood can be released. I had some of that pinkish dicharge on and off too. It can also mean you are pushing a little too hard. I think it is pretty normal. If it worries you it wouldn't hurt to call and ask your dr's nurse.
Were you taking any meds when you went out? I think the big concern with alcohol post op is the possible negative interaction with prescription medications. You might want to ask your dr about this one too in case there is a connection you might have missed.
I'm glad you had fun anyway.
's,Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2006, 10:39 AM

No, I wasn't taking any meds except my regular prescriptions that I have taken for a long time. Not even Motrin last night.

I had lost a lot of stitches last week, and haven't seen anymore, so I wonder about that too. I am not worried about it so much, just curious about why it would go from red, to pink, to brown, and back to pink again.

betts
Unread 04-09-2006, 08:08 PM

I've had the pinkish thing too. It is very, very light. Had the brownish, again very light, for a day or two as well. I've not considered it a problem and assumed it was normal. I'm just happy not to be bleeding anymore. I expected to bleed a bit after surgery. Haven't seen blood since leaving the hospital. Woo-hoo. It was really funny going into surgery, someone said something about making sure I didn't bleed too much. I told them if I hadn't bleed to death by now, I wasn't going to. Having a period everyday for months really was rotten
Take care yall
Elaine
Unread 04-09-2006, 08:10 PM

Betts
I forgot to mention the fact that I do some more love me some wine at night. Enjoy in moderation.
Elaine
Unread 04-09-2006, 08:34 PM

I called my doctor office about the pink, red, brown spotting this past week. I found when I get the red or pink spotting it seems to be when I did too much.

The nurse told me it is completely normal and that you can have it during the whole recovery period. She told me if it gets heavy to call the doctor.
Unread 04-10-2006, 09:52 AM

Thanks ladies, I feel better to know that it is something that other people have had too. I kinda think I might be doing too much though. Not the big no no's just too much on my feet and not enough rest. A lot of bending over and picking stuff up. It seemed like I had almost no discharge for a few days and then have had the pink, and reddish pink right at the same time I had increased my activity level. I was feeling really good again and wanted to do more around the house. I have been having pain right at my pubic bone across the pelvis the past couple of days too, had to take Motrin which I had already given up.

I am going to try to take it easy today and see what happens. It is true Elaine, that compared to the sort of periods a lot of us had before this stuff is nothing!

Betts
Unread 04-10-2006, 10:47 AM

I am 6 1/2 weeks post-op and my discharge is no longer pink, but it did alternate from the brown/rust to pink until last week.
Unread 04-10-2006, 11:32 AM

I'm about 7 weeks or so and I still have a slight pink discharge now and then. I had been outside doing alot of yard work so I just figured that I over did it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register