Scheduled LAVH Surgery Thurday...nerves have set in!! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Thurday...nerves have set in!! Surgery Thurday...nerves have set in!!

Unread 06-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Re: Surgery Thurday...nerves have set in!!

Help,

My pre-op nurse really emphasized the broths/gatorade over water. They wanted calories, particularly since my surgery was scheduled for noon. So I said heck, yeah. What was really yummy was Chicken Pho (vietnamese noodle soupe) without the chicken, noodles and stuff. Seemed to be richer stock than typical chicken soup. I think I drank about half a gallon the day prior. But it worked...my post-surgery fluid levels were great.

Also, ginger ale and crackers post surgery. Helps with the nausea and is easy to digest. And not the diet kind. At this point, your body needs the calories, since you aren't eating anything.

In terms of recovery, I'm 5 weeks out. Am able to walk (stroll) for 45 minutes, 10 minutes on stationary bike, or float in water. The hardest part is mental...not beating myself up for not being able to do more. But also, making sure I do enough to move my recovery forward. I am an all or nothing person...and I fell into a deep depression after major foot surgery 6 years ago, because I couldn't do everything my friends were doing...instead of focusing on what my body could do. I'm trying to apply those lessons now.

I might suggest, particularly if you are having an abdominal surgery, to request physical therapy. It will help ensure your scar and abs are healed, but most importantly, help set up some realistic guidelines to help build your strength. One who is familiar with abdominal surgery who works with athletes would be a particular bonus.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Good luck~

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2010, 09:32 AM

My surgery is schedule for the 15th of June. I feel like nobody understands how I feel about this. I am have a partial hysterectomy vaginally. Everyone acts like it's not a huge deal at all. But I feel so overwhelmed. My house is a mess and I want to clean it, but I don't know where to start. I am worried about kids. I am just frustrated at the moment. I am scared too! It is nice to come here however, and read other postings and see that I am not alone in how I feel. I am so grateful that I have found this site.

So I do understand your feelings of being nervous.

Queenexile
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Navi_jen-
I know how you feel-I myself am a control freak and have to have things done a certain way or it will bother me-But I know i cant do anything about that so I am gonna turn a blind eye to what I cant control.That soup sounds good I, will look for it today.And the ginger ale and saltines are smart too-when my stomach doesn't feel well they're the best-thanks for reminding me.I'm glad to talk to you today so I can get the stuff I need to have in the house bfore surgery.
You've been a great help-thanks for being there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2010, 09:55 AM

Queenexile-
It is a big deal-If you cant clean too much clean the area you'll be in for the most part-and buy some flowers for yourself to cheer you up-Also it would be a good idea to see if you could recruit friends and family to help you out.Its okay to be scared,I am too sometimes but there are wonderful people on this site to see you through-any time you get nervous just go on this site and read through the posts and they will have you feeling better in no time and come back to ck in often..it helps to calm me down until I panic again
take care
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenexile View Post
My surgery is schedule for the 15th of June. I feel like nobody understands how I feel about this. I am have a partial hysterectomy vaginally. Everyone acts like it's not a huge deal at all. But I feel so overwhelmed. My house is a mess and I want to clean it, but I don't know where to start. I am worried about kids. I am just frustrated at the moment. I am scared too! It is nice to come here however, and read other postings and see that I am not alone in how I feel. I am so grateful that I have found this site.

So I do understand your feelings of being nervous.

Queenexile
I totally know how you feel, my house is a mess too and I just feel overwhelmed. Yesterday I just started on my bedroom and deep cleaned that, but when I looked at the rest of my house then I just felt like I did nothing. I have 3 little munchkins, so my house is always in some form a mess so I don't know why it's bothering me so much now. My surgery is also on the 15th of June so I feel like it's approaching fast and I'm starting to panic that I won't get everything done. I hate that feeling!
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanks Rodeowife and Satchelp,

Your words mean more to me than anything. It truly does help to know that how I feel is normal and that I am not over-reacting. I am going to buy me some flowers and do the best I can with cleaning the house. I guess I am worried about visitors coming and my house looking like a disaster zone. I will do what I can, and what I don't get done, well I am going to just have to let it go. I appreciate this site and the fact that we can go on here and feel better after doing it.

Thanks so much!!
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

To all you ladies having surgery this week and next week:

You will all do great! Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
Unread 06-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks so much for all the wonderful words of encouragement. I did take my 8 month old wiener for a nice long last night to try to relax, we were both warn out. I slept a bit better last night, thank the Lord!! Today I needed to find something else to keep my mind from straying...I washed, vacuumed, and waxed my Jeep, baked a cake and made a pasta salad. All that before 2pm. 3 days and counting!!
Unread 06-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Nice to hear from someone in Colorado! I live in Superior (up near Boulder) and my surgery is tomorrow!! I have been trying to keep my nerves at bay, working today and that helps! I also look towards why I need to do this too and am confident it will go well and I WILL feel better! :-)
Well wishes to everyone and it is so comforting to have you all here to chat with!!! Will let you know how it goes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register