3 1/2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling down that I don't feel better | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 1/2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling down that I don't feel better 3 1/2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling down that I don't feel better

Unread 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM
3 1/2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling down that I don't feel better

I am 3 weeks post op and feeling down that I don't feel better. My abdominal muscles at my waist hurt as well as my low back and it is uncomfortable to wear my pants (it feels like my waist is swollen and they are tight). I have an aching throbbing pain low on both sides near my groin (more so on left). My mornings are best, but I am really tired in the afternoon and into the evening. I have never had a problem with my bowels before, but now they don't want to move every day. I am only taking two tylenol later in the afternoon when I am tired from putting up with the ache. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2017, 01:51 AM
Re: 3 1/2 weeks post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveknitting View Post
I am 3 weeks post op and feeling down that I don't feel better. My abdominal muscles at my waist hurt as well as my low back and it is uncomfortable to wear my pants (it feels like my waist is swollen and they are tight). I have an aching throbbing pain low on both sides near my groin (more so on left). My mornings are best, but I am really tired in the afternoon and into the evening. I have never had a problem with my bowels before, but now they don't want to move every day. I am only taking two tylenol later in the afternoon when I am tired from putting up with the ache. Is this normal?
Hi there!

I too am experiencing irregular bowels, very very frustrating. When I do feel the urge it is extremely painful even to pass gas. The past three days I am having much difficulty when urinating as well. I was treated right after surgery (2/7/17) for UTI with antibiotics and sent home with additional antibiotics. I fear I have another infection or maybe a bladder infection. The only other aches I have are where the scope was out in on the left side on my hip bone. It is still pretty swollen and throbs to my groin. I am however able to walk without hunching over now. I am not able to go about my days like I was able to before surgery yet although. I wish you well and continued recovery. Please feel free to ask me any questions. This site is a savior to know other women are experiencing the same.

Total hysterectomy with bilateral sapingectomy. Ovaries left in tact.

Regards,

Danielle
Unread 02-23-2017, 06:55 AM

, perhaps I can help with your bowel issues. The surgery can really affect things, and as I've seen in this forum, it's quite common for issues to persist this far out. Make sure you're taking regular walks, which will help more than anything else. What can also work to kick-start a lazy colon is to start your day with something hot; suggestions from myself and other sisters include oatmeal, warmed-up prune juice, peppermint tea, and a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. If oatmeal is your choice, add some pumpkin seeds for a good dose of magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; other food sources include leafy greens and dark chocolate. It's also likely that the surgical antibiotics have upset the normal balance of bacteria inside your intestinal tract; a probiotic supplement, including the strain B longum, or regular servings of live culture yogurt, can help to restore it. And dnichols808821, the antibiotics youve been pescribed may be contributing to your issues, as I've explained above, and B longum can help with that; adding the strain L acidophilus can help with your possible bladder infection. Another top tip to encourage regularity is to sit on the toilet right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveknitting View Post
I am 4 weeks post op today and am still having pain, mostly in the right side and my back. My visiting nurse told me this is totally normal. My bladder and bowel were stuck to my uterus and stomach lining with tons of adhesions so I actually had two other surgeons come in and operate on me b4 my surgeon could do my hysterectomy. Each week things should get a little better. I am still wearing my abdominal binder that they put on me in the hospital and I feel it helps to support my back and hold everything in. I'm still in yoga pants as my belly is a little swollen still. My mornings are pretty good but by afternoon I have to take a nap. You have to listen to ur body. Things will get better. On top of all this my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer. He had surgery a couple weeks ago and I couldn't even go with him. It was really upsetting. This morning he left for his 1st chemo treatment, his mom took him. I still cant drive. I plan on taking him to his next treatment. Try and stay positive and take it one day at a time.
Unread 02-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Re: 3 1/2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling down that I don't feel better

Thank you Tiger_Eye,

I will check with my hematologist on these recommendations! Unfortunately I have a blood clotting disorder called Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome with Hemmoragic Disorder warranting the daily need for Coumadin. I have to watch what I eat especially greens containing vitamin k and any other edibles containing vitamin k. Today I am still having sharp pains when attempting to void and any slight pressure applied down there causes me to yelp. I actually got sick last night with dry heaves and diarrhea. I am trying to stay hydrated as best as possible.

Thank you again for your response and advice,

Sincerely,
Danielle
Unread 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Re: 3 1/2 weeks post hysterectomy and feeling down that I don't feel better

At 3-1/2 weeks you're still in the midst of recovery. It's major surgery with lots of internal incisions, and not something we bounce-back from like a stomach bug. That's why we're our doctors' patients for 4-8 weeks and have restrictions. Healing continues after our release, perhaps 4-6 months post-op (and some longer). I didn't start turning the corner on feeling human again until some time around or after my 4-week check up, but even then I couldn't sit a long time, couldn't stand a long time, and I'd need to rest 30-45 minutes between activities.

If your abs are hurting like you've done a bunch of crunches, take more time to rest - it's the internals which need healing, and if you're diving back into daily activities at the levels you were pre-op, it might be your body's way of telling you to pull back. A pretty good guide here is Hysterectomy Restrictions. You can't hurry recovery by doing more, and you might even set yourself back.

The swelling? Ah, swelly belly . It's what brought me to this stie. If you think of any injury (broken arm, sprained ankle, burn), fluids gather around the inflammation as a part of the healing process. Lucky us, our inflammation is in our tummies . Sometimes it's nothing more than daily living which makes it worse, and as we heal we seem to notice it more in the evenings. I didn't even attempt fixed waistbands until 5-6 weeks post op, and I'd still find myself unbuttoning by mid-afternoon. My doctor said by week 8 I should notice it less and I did, but I'd still get it when I resumed an activity for the first time, or did something which really engaged my abs - last time at the mat with it was at 5 months. You can read more about Swelly Belly here.

Rest well! You get one chance to heal properly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register