Help! I feel like a swollen baby! | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! I feel like a swollen baby! Help! I feel like a swollen baby!

Unread 09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Help! I feel like a swollen baby!

Hello...first post here.

I am about 17 days post-op. Had the TAH and a tummy tuck and am limping around still! I just got the go ahead to drive and my office is calling me to return to work and all I feel I can do is lie around and watch movies!

I am also very swollen in the abdomen and the doctor had to aspirate fluid from the area a couple of days ago. I have to go back in today to have another aspiration (giant needle in belly).

When does the swelling go down and how long will it take for me to feel good enough to work again? I feel like a malingerer and also need to get away from the computer because eBay is becoming my new best friend! Help me sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2005, 10:45 AM

Hi, My surgery date was May 19th, and I had swelling like you describe. Every afternoon week after week I was more swollen and sore than in the morning. I had infection set in at two weeks in my incision that was treated with 2 rounds of antibiotics, and it wasn't until after 3 1/2 months that the seromas of fluid drained. After that my belly has begun to flatten out. I wish I had been more fully informed about the swelling, but all I heard was that it is individual. What I can say is don't expect too much too soon. Take it easy, don't lift ANYTHING you don't have to...it makes it worse. You will feel better, it took at least 7 weeks for me to feel more normal and lively. REST, REST, REST! Happy Healing.
Unread 09-15-2005, 11:44 AM

I had my surgery the same day as you and my doctor told me no work for 8 weeks. I do however work out of the home and so I have tried doing a little here and there but not too much. Even if I sit at my desk for 30 minutes, it wipes me out. I would give yourself much more time before you go back to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2005, 12:07 PM

You should definitley give yourself more time before going back to work. I wish I had because bosses and co-workers have selective hearing.
I went in last week, told my boss I was going to work two days, just a few hours, see how it goes. She said "Sure, no problem" what she meant was, since I"m back I must be completely healed and she threw me back on the schedule full time this week.
Now I'm in the position of having to tell my boss I can't work that much right now and she is NOT going to like that. She already planned her vacation this week since I was "back".

My advice sweetie, if your doctor said six weeks, or eight weeks, wait. Don't go back until you are absolutely ready, going back to soon will just mean you have to argue with your boss and you could risk doing to much too soon.
Take care of you first, worry about the job later.
-Karen
Unread 09-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Back from Dr.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I feel like people are not listening either as far as the job thing goes. Like, if you can walk you must be able to work a full day! Not!

I had 160 cc's of fluid aspirated again today. What the heck?? I find that to be gnarly but at least the man (dr) is removing it. The swollen abdomen look is not what I'm aiming for.

Alice
Unread 09-15-2005, 04:13 PM

Healing takes awhile and you shouldn't feel guilty. I was out of work for a full 12 weeks and took every minute to focus on rest and healing because I knew I would only have the one chance to do it right. I am now back at work at 5 month mark and am still only working half days and light duty.
Unread 09-15-2005, 04:44 PM

I don't know if I could manage 12 weeks off work without going out of my head with boredom, but 6 weeks with light days for a couple of weeks as I resumed work was just fine.

And you know, I think people who have never undergone a major surgery like this have absolutely no idea how exhausted and wimpy you feel afterward, and how long that feeling lasts. They assume (and I think I was in the "they" category before this!)that if you're walking around and getting dressed every day, you should be fine to work.

Frankly, I didn't even feel like driving for any significant distance (and work is 20 miles from home) until after 4 weeks, and that kept me away! Take your time and let yourself heal, and you'll know when you feel ok to go back to work.
Unread 09-15-2005, 05:16 PM

my doctor warned me not to even call or go by work because then they would assume you are well enough to be at work!
Unread 09-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Back to work

Well again, I certainly appreciate everyone's advice. I just got a call from my co-worker /friend who is enquiring WHEN I am returning to work! I told her that probably not until the six week mark but possibly the four week; I don't know. I just feel pressured to return and it's hard, even though I am bored here at home. ~sigh~

I drove to the doctor's and the grocery store (walked like a snail) and came home and was laid out! What am I supposed to do?

Now I am unsure about whether I should take a planned trip from CA (my home) to Washington, DC on Sept 20 (next Friday) to attend my 16 year old son's Parent's Weekend. He attends a boarding prep school in PA. I think I may have to cancel but I also feel bad about that!

I apologize for whining but I don't have anyone who really KNOWS what we are/have been going through with this operation.

Thanks,

Alice

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register