MRSA infection post op! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MRSA infection post op! MRSA infection post op!

Unread 06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
MRSA infection post op!

I came home after 3 days. My incision was healing great! The right side wasn't even tender anymore! But, I noticed the left side had a hard lump about 2 inches wide. I ran low fevers at night, and wasn't really uncomfortable, but the lump didn't seem right. Went to E.R. and after a work up, the ultrasound revealed a mass below the incision ( I had orginally thought it was some kind of hernia from doing too much). Was admitted for 3 days of I.V. antibiotics and they needle aspirated the site and sent it to lab. Was released on Memorial Day, and the next day went to OB for follow up. Was told the lab found that I had MRSA infection. THis is a very bad, resistant bacteria, Meth...Resistant Staff.... Had to have emergency surgery at midnight to reopen wound and cut away tissue. In hospital 8 more days. Now homw with an OPEN wound , 7" x 2" x 2", attached to a wound vacuum for 2 more months. I feel fine, but home health comes everyother day to change dressings, heavy, antibiotics have ruined my taste buds, lost 16 pounds, but still bloated. Bottom line: it's horrible, but will make it!
Any hardness at incision + tell your doctor asap! MRSA can be contracted at ANY hospital, and it's not as rare as it used to be, but it is horrible. One reason is the overprescription of antibiotics in the community! I will recover, but many don't! MRSA is one of the surgical risks that you think won't happen to you.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2006, 02:25 PM
MRSA infection post op!

Ohhhh...I am so sorry this happened to you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
MRSA infection post op!

So sorry to hear about this and a big to you. My neighbors' mother acquired a staph infection during hip replacement surgery. It takes a long time to recover and you can't have my sympathy enough. My little CDiff is NOTHING compared to what you have. PLEASE take really good care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

TAH, 1 ovary left alone in the wilderness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
MRSA infection post op!

Poor you! I have an open incision due to infection but luckily it wasn't MRSA. You take good care and I will send positive healing thoughts your way.

Sharon
Unread 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM
MRSA infection post op!

Thank you all for your best wishes. My goal is to spread the message of overprescribed antibiotics....
Thank you, thank you, and bless you, too!
Unread 06-13-2006, 06:06 PM
MRSA infection post op!

AnnieHope,
I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I work in a hospital with lots of MRSA patients and was a little worried about it before my surgery. I was fortunate not to have any problems with it. I am so glad you are putting the message out about antibiotics. Unfortunately, we are finding more and more MRSA in the community not just in health care institutions any more and the effects are devastating. I see people who die from this infection occasionally although most do recover. It is really important that your docs out there do cultures to identify infections instead of just writing prescriptions randomly. MRSA isn't the only resistant bacteria out there, but it is the most common as it is a normal bacteria on the skin. It has developed resistance as a survival mechanism in the world of antibiotics. The wound vac, while annoying and uncomfortable is a wonderful advancement in the treatment of open wounds and will greatly speed your healing time. I hope you heal quickly and have no further complications. Be sure and take a good vitamin, get plenty of protein and add yogurt with active cultures to help mitigate the antibiotics effects on your digestive system. Best of luck.
Rachel
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
MRSA infection post op!

im so sorry your going through this....i myself developed mrsa in my incision and to date,have had 2 additional surgeries besides my hyst...i have been dealing with this since january,and since the last surgery everything seemed to be going very well,however,within the last week the infection has came back,and the skin on the outter edges of the open incision grew itself to the inside new meat,and not attatched to each other,so they are wanting to cut it back a bit again,so it can close together...im so not wanting another surgery...are you going to a infectious disease doc???i was told,once we develope mrsa,we will never be rid of it..it may lay dormit,but never fully go away....anway,i truely am so very sorry your dealing with this..i know exactly what you are going through...please hang in there...if you ever need to talk,please send me a messege....please take care..and please dont miss one dose of antibioitcs.......sonie
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:04 PM
MRSA infection post op!

I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through all of this! I'll definately keep you in my prayers for a better recovery!
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:16 PM
MRSA infection post op!

I feel bad for complaining about my little problems now that I read your problems. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Unread 06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
MRSA Recoverey Patient

Im sorry sorry to read these posts about other ladies having to go through this terrible problem. I am recovered from my surgery and the MRSA infection since last November. I was tested about a month ago to see if I am carrying the bacteria and I tested negative. I was told if you have it it doesnt mean you will always carry it. It took me months to get my courage up to ask about being tested as I didnt want to hear bad news. I read everything I could on this once diagnosed and it is truly a bigger problem then we realize and while it is more common in a surgery patient it can be spread in many other ways. Scary stuff. Good luck with your recovery, take all your meds and get plenty of rest. I found myself to be very tired as a result of the combination of the surgery and infection. It took me 6 months to begin to feel even near normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register