Back pain....Kidney area | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back pain....Kidney area Back pain....Kidney area

Unread 03-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

Has anyone else experienced pain in their lower back/kidney area? I have been in pain off and on over the last couple of weeks, some days worse than others, only on my right side. I am almost 8 wks post op, had a LAVH/BSO. I don't have a fever and I have no blood in my urine. I have been feeling a bit light headed/dizzy, but don't know if that's just part of my recovery and HRT. Any ideas? It's very uncomfortable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

It doesn't sound normal to me, but I could be completely wrong. I think you should call your doctor and ask. I never worry about "bothering them" or "looking stupid" - and none of them have ever made me feel like either. Keep us posted
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

Hey there

I am actually experiencing this now. Pain in my lower back/kidney area.

I had a UTI at 14 days post-op (during my love affair with Mr. Foley Catheter). I didn't have any of the symptoms, except the blood in the urine (bag filled with blood).

Over the last 4 days, I have had the pain and it just so happens that my follow-up with the Urologist was today. He gave me a low dose antibiotic (in case it is a UTI) and ordered an ultrasound (possible kidney stones - never had them before).

I'll let you know ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Back pain....Kidney area

Well, I am off to the Dr. to give them a urine sample today to try to find out what is going on, horrible pain last night, so I will keep you posted. Please let me know what you find out also!
Unread 03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

I just had a kidney stone removed on Good Friday (wasn't a good friday). I had my hyster 8 weeks ago and acquired a UTI from the catheter. Was put on antibiotics and the UTI symptoms went away but I also had blood in my urine. Not alot but a few pinky coloured drops when wiping. I had been back to my surgeon, emergency department of where the surgery took place, my family dr. for the blood in my p. They just kept prescribing more antibiotics and treated it like a UTI.... but, the blood was still there.
Last Thursday morning (4:30am), I woke up suddenly with terrible pain in my left kidney area and around to the front of tummy. I asked my DH to take me to emerg. They ordered a CT scan (good x-ray) and found a stone! A big one too! Too big to pass on it's own unfortunately. They had to perform a quick (45 minute) surgery to go in there and get it and to place a 'stent' to keep my ureter (tube from kidney to bladder) open while things were settling down.

I just came back from my urologist - had to have the stent removed - not painful but thank goodness it's out, and found this thread.
I hope that someone at least entertains the idea that a stone could be a possibility and rule that out. I hope that you do not have to go for 2 months while everyone assumes it's UTI related. It just sounds a little similar to my experience and thought I'd add my info.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Hope you feel better
Unread 03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

Hey Laura

Thanks a bunch for the detail of your story. My story is similar to yours and I assumed that the UTI was back. My urologist immediately said that I needed an ultrasound to see if it's stones. My only issue now is the scheduling of it. I may not be able to get one soon, but we are trying.

Again, thank you.
Unread 03-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

Hi there Renee,

The funny thing about kidney stones is that they don't cause too many problems while they are sitting quietly (other than that nasty, mysterious, bleeding thing. Oh, and maybe pain in the back) Ok maybe they do cause alot of problems. Once they are on the move..... look out! It definitely grabbed my attention!

I hope you can schedule an ultrasound as soon as you're able. My urologist did say that repeated UTI's promote stones and stones promote repeated UTI's (along with alot of other factors). I haven't had so many pp troubles in my life.

Thank goodness that at least someone's thinking enough to order a scan and not just fire the pills at you hoping the 'urine fairy' will take the problem away.

Keep me posted and drink lots of water.
Unread 03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHrey

T My urologist immediately said that I needed an ultrasound to see if it's stones. My only issue now is the scheduling of it. I may not be able to get one soon, but we are trying.

Again, thank you.
Why do you say you may not be able to get the ultrasound "soon"? If it is a stone, this needs to be high priority! Kidney stones don't sound like they could be that dangerous, but they absolutely can be deadly. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's the truth! I have a history of chronic kidney stones, and have been close to dying twice on account of them. Here's what can happen: the stone doesn't hurt until it causes a blockage in the ureter. But if that blockage is total (as can happen with a larger stone), urine can back up into the blood stream, causing systemic (and potentially fatal) infection.

Please monitor your temp closely. If you get the shivers or a fever above 100f go to the ER immediately. D it for me, do it for your family, just do it!
Unread 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

I have an HMO and am having a difficult time getting an ultrasound appointment in the next 2 weeks.

I do have a trick up my sleeve though. I have a friend who is an Ultrasound tech at a major hospital here in DC and if they can't get me in by Monday, she is going to do it for me.

By the way, I don't scare easily, but I love my sisters for caring and sharing. THANKS!!!!
Unread 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Back pain....Kidney area

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHrey
I have an HMO and am having a difficult time getting an ultrasound appointment in the next 2 weeks.

I do have a trick up my sleeve though. I have a friend who is an Ultrasound tech at a major hospital here in DC and if they can't get me in by Monday, she is going to do it for me.

By the way, I don't scare easily, but I love my sisters for caring and sharing. THANKS!!!!
Ugh, I hate HMOs and their "it's not an emergency unless an accountant approves it!" attitude. But I'm glad you have a back-up plan. Again, if you develop a fever, please go directly to the hospital! The last time I came close to death, I'd actually been to the ER and diagnosed with a stone, but didn't have a fever at the time. They sent me home with meds for pain and nausea, and they made me really loopy. By the time the fever got high, I was delirious and didn't care about going to the hospital. By the time my dh dragged me there, my temp was 104.7!! I spent ten days in the hospital on IV antibiotics, and for the first three days, they were telling my dh that I had a 50/50 chance of surviving. Scary stuff indeed. After that, I don't mess with it. If my temp gets above 100, it's the ER for me!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register