Increased bleeding after silver nitrate | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Increased bleeding after silver nitrate Increased bleeding after silver nitrate

Unread 06-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Increased bleeding after silver nitrate

Well, I had to join the silver nitrate treatment club. I had my 6 week post-op appt. just this last Thursday. Ever since then my bleeding has increased. Is that normal? Does it usually increase before decreasing? It's also either almost a black color or bright red and it's thick. It's become fairly heavy in the last day, as well. Is this to be expected after this procedure or could something be wrong??? If it's normal, when does the silver nitrate actually start working and stop the bleeding? I guess I just expected it would help immediately, but maybe I'm way off on that. Any advice/experience would be great! Hope everyone's been having a good weekend!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2008, 07:38 AM

I went for a 4 weeks check up friday as an emergency visit, since I had been bleeding for16 days, I too joined the club, and yes, I increased as well, I was wondering the same thing, is this normal?? Dr wants to repeat it in 2 weeks and go from there. This has been horrible!
Have a good weekend!
Unread 06-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Please Help!!

I know I initially posted only 4 hours ago, but I'm really hoping someone out there can help me with this! I'm kind of freaked out and I really don't want to have to call my doctor on a Sunday, but the bleeding is not getting any better. I'm 7 weeks post-op tomorrow and just don't feel like this is normal, but then I wonder if it's a side-effect from the silver nitrate. Or if I possibly overdid it again. I'm moving in a week from tomorrow, so I've been packing, but have honestly been trying to go slow and take it easy. At about 2 weeks (I think) I had to go to the ER and stay overnight b/c I overdid it and my doctor was so mad. I mean, I've been cleared for pretty much everything except sex and am too "listen to my body". Also, after I had the silver nitrate treatment I went to Target and Hobby Lobby and did a little shopping because the doctor didn't tell me I had to take it easy afterwards or anything. I'm just confused, I don't understand what might be happening and I've been looking for answers on the internet and haven't found anything that relates to what's happening with me! I know since it's a weekend, probably not a lot of people are on here - but is there anybody out there who can help me?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2008, 12:11 PM

How 'bout the Silver Sisters??? LOL

I have had two silver nitrate treatments this last month. I had increased discharge, a little bloody but had the blackish stuff and understand that was normal. I have one more treatment next week. The blackish discharge is normal due to the cauterizing effect of the silver nitrate.

If you are worried about the bleeding check with your doc. I have found that everytime I have the silver nitrate treatmens it takes me a few days to week to feel better again...cramping etc.

Take it easy and try to not overdo it!
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM

I agree with Nicole (great name btw ). I had it at 4+ weeks for scar tissue that had developed. I had had bleeding for over 3 weeks and that stopped after a lot of heavy cramping in my vagina. 3 days later with no bleeding I went in and she found the scar tissue so she used the Nitrate to remove it.
I experienced some cramping, swelling in my tummy and I have been passing black disharge or black bits since and my appt was over a week ago.
Red usually means fresh so you may want to just put a call in to get answers to relive your stress !
Whatever your answer is you have information in your back pocket for the next Sister that asks. Think of it as research And I hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register