11 Weeks Post Hysterectomy and Still Feeling Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 Weeks Post Hysterectomy and Still Feeling Pain 11 Weeks Post Hysterectomy and Still Feeling Pain

Unread 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM
11 Weeks Post Hysterectomy and Still Feeling Pain

Hi Everyone!!! I have been reading all of the recovery posts since my hysterectomy on June 7th but haven't really posted much. I had a complete hysterectomy including ovaries. I was just wondering if anyone is still experiencing pain. I didn't have any complications during my surgery but did hemorrhage 10 after and was back in the hospital for 2 days because I was very anemic and needed a blood transfusion. After that I was doing better and then got a UTI about a month ago.. I am still experiencing a lot of pain almost on a daily basis. My lower stomach cramps (my ovaries were removed so I know it's not ovulation) and my left side is very painful especially if anything presses against it. I also have a lot of lower back pain. I'm just wondering if anyone else has symptoms like this still? When I went for my six week post op visit my doctor said I was healing nicely.. All the posts I have read on here have been so helpful so before I make a doctor's appointment I thought I would ask here..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Re: 11 Weeks and Still Feeling Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris826 View Post
Hi Everyone!!! I have been reading all of the recovery posts since my hysterectomy on June 7th but haven't really posted much. I had a complete hysterectomy including ovaries. I was just wondering if anyone is still experiencing pain. I didn't have any complications during my surgery but did hemorrhage 10 after and was back in the hospital for 2 days because I was very anemic and needed a blood transfusion. After that I was doing better and then got a UTI about a month ago.. I am still experiencing a lot of pain almost on a daily basis. My lower stomach cramps (my ovaries were removed so I know it's not ovulation) and my left side is very painful especially if anything presses against it. I also have a lot of lower back pain. I'm just wondering if anyone else has symptoms like this still? When I went for my six week post op visit my doctor said I was healing nicely.. All the posts I have read on here have been so helpful so before I make a doctor's appointment I thought I would ask here..
You have had more than one setback, and it may have set you behind the "typical" timeline (I hate using blanket terms like that, because each of us are different).

You mention a lot of pain... does it respond to OTC pain meds? What would you say it is on a scale of 0-10? Usually a 6 or more would warrant a call, but at 11 weeks even with the setbacks, it doesn't seem you should be hurting like that. So yes, I'd go ahead and make that phone call to your doctor's office.

I've got a spot on my stomach at 3 months that I can't press against, like leaning up against a counter, or carrying a crate or box. It'll hurt. I've about determined it's a bit of nerve damage since a bruise should've been gone by now. It can take additional months for that to heal, so I'm just riding it out.

The lower back pain could still be a result of your back compensating for your abs. Check your posture, though, to be sure you're not hunching over, as that can also overwork your back. Best thing I found to do was recline on an easy chair, strategically placing pillows so that the weight of my torso was spread between upper back and hips. 30-45 minutes with a heating pad really helped.

Update us about your pain. Continue resting when you can!
Unread 09-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Re: 11 Weeks Post Hysterectomy and Still Feeling Pain

Chris,
Everyone heals differently. Some women snap back like it's nothing; others experience lingering pain. I experienced sharp pain in areas up to 4 months. It gradually decreased after that to where I finally felt no pain or cramping at the one year mark. I think that depending on your procedure and the amount of work they do, recovery varies. My doctor told me full recovery could take a year, and it pretty much did. At almost 2 years, I have had other challenges that started after the first year like painful acne, thinning hair, recurrent UTIs. I just started an estradiol patch and I'm already feeling positive effects I would be patient and keep a log of the pain you experience. Keeping a log will help you discuss it with your doctor later if you feel you need to see them to discuss your recovery concerns. Something simple like date, pain level, symptoms, location of pain/issue, duration, what you tried to help it. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2016, 04:41 PM

Hello, I am 12 weeks after my surgery, and I am having pain in the incision area. I don't have my bleeding or spotting.
Is this to be expected?
Unread 09-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess78 View Post
Hello, I am 12 weeks after my surgery, and I am having pain in the incision area. I don't have my bleeding or spotting.
Is this to be expected?
Jess,

Yes, you could have lingering pain at the incision for quite a while. Even though the incision is sealed, layers beneath and muscle may still be healing. If the area becomes discolored, inflamed, or pain worsens, you may want to consult your doctor.

It took 6 months to a year for all of my pain to subside, depending on the location of incisions and the other pelvic procedures I had done. The midurethral sling incisions at the pubic bone actually irritated me the longest, especially when I rode a bike or walked too much.

Hope you feel better soon sweetie.
Unread 09-05-2016, 02:27 AM

Are you sure you havent been overdoing it?? I agree w Azgeorgie that it takes time to heal.. We are not fully healed at 6-8 weeks & some aches & pains may persist. With your setbacks it may have delayed healing too...

I would say at week 11 if you feel that the pain level is still on the high side, then it does warrant a call to your Dr..Feel better!
Unread 09-05-2016, 03:01 AM

Hi,
I had TAH on 30th May. I have progressed well and am back exercising the past couple of weeks. In relation to pain my lower back pain was quite horrendous due to my back compensating for lack of core tummy muscle strength. My osteopath has had to quite a bit of work to release my lower back. Have had 2 visits with him and my back is now improving (not perfect still but definitely much better). The actual incision line is quite numb but above the incision line can be quite sensitve. Sometimes I get like electric shocks if my tummy touches things like a bench. My dr has said this is quite normal nerve pain....the nerves reacting to the surgery and now healing.

I don't know this helps you at all. If you are getting pain that can't be explained by nerves healing or compensation for use of tuMmy muscles I would see a dr ASAP.
Unread 09-05-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda17 View Post
Hi,
I had TAH on 30th May. The actual incision line is quite numb but above the incision line can be quite sensitve. Sometimes I get like electric shocks if my tummy touches things like a bench. My dr has said this is quite normal nerve pain....the nerves reacting to the surgery and now healing.
You too, huh? I still have this after 3-1/2 months. It hasn't stopped me from resuming life, but it's rather tiresome. I've learned to avoid countertops , carrying things against my stomach, etc. It's better than it was, but I was hoping it'd be gone by now. Sigh.

Unread 09-06-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess78 View Post
Is this to be expected?
Hi, what kind of pain are you feeling? What level is the pain? Is it constant? Do you feel it more later in the day or after being active? If you exert your abs more, then it may trigger an array of symptoms..

Are you feeling sensations like stabbing, pins, a heat sensation, tingling? If so, these are nerves healing & this may continue for sometime..Do you feel heaviness in the belly area, aches, disconfort? Thats a swelly belly which takes time to go down. GI discomfort can put pressure on everything. It tends to be different post op.. So, eat healthy, lots of fruits & veggies to keep things going.

Symptoms may persist which is part of recovery. Any pains that are on the higher end of a pain scale, then it warrants a call to the Dr.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register