Having ovary removed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having ovary removed Having ovary removed

Unread 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Having ovary removed

I had a hysterectomy in 1993. I am now having to have my left ovary removed. It is the only one my dr left but has always had a problem with cysts. The pain has been really bad lately! My surgery is scheduled for July 11 but could change because of schedule at the hospital. It will be an abdominal removal and was wondering what to expect. Hospital stay, recovery time, sexual changes etc
Already having hot flashes. Will they get even worse?
Thank you
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Re: Having ovary removed

Kim,
Your recovery time could be similar to that of your TAH as you will be having a full abdominal incision. Before my tah I had a laprodectomy, recovery time was about similar to that of my tah. Hospital stay for both surgeries was 3 days.

Once the ovary is gone, you could experience menopausal symptoms. Are you going to be using hormone replacement?

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM

Hello, Kimberlyk
My ovary removal is July 17, you have all those questions that's been running through my mind.
I'm kinda nervous because post op of tah last year I knew I was gonna have pain but to be honest I did not know I was going to have that much pain and emotions afterward. I do understand you wanting to know a head of time.

I will be having a adominal as well and its my right ovary you kinda get mixec emotions as well because you want the pain to be over but you know will have to recover from the op. You think about your age and sitting there going going threw hot flashes and such. I think we creep ourselves out sometimes just with all the ? But thank God for this site and the support. I found it the day of my surgery wish I would have found it years before the problem got worst.

I know you'll be fine and I wish you well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Having ovary removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim M View Post
Kim,
Your recovery time could be similar to that of your TAH as you will be having a full abdominal incision. Before my tah I had a laprodectomy, recovery time was about similar to that of my tah. Hospital stay for both surgeries was 3 days.

Once the ovary is gone, you could experience menopausal symptoms. Are you going to be using hormone replacement?

I have been having menopause symptoms for about a year now. I have tried several natural remedies that have worked some. I plan on starting hormones after surgery. I think that is best for me to help after surgery!
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Having ovary removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypoo38 View Post
Hello, Kimberlyk
My ovary removal is July 17, you have all those questions that's been running through my mind.
I'm kinda nervous because post op of tah last year I knew I was gonna have pain but to be honest I did not know I was going to have that much pain and emotions afterward. I do understand you wanting to know a head of time.

I will be having a adominal as well and its my right ovary you kinda get mixec emotions as well because you want the pain to be over but you know will have to recover from the op. You think about your age and sitting there going going threw hot flashes and such. I think we creep ourselves out sometimes just with all the ? But thank God for this site and the support. I found it the day of my surgery wish I would have found it years before the problem got worst.

I know you'll be fine and I wish you well.

Thank you! I am also glad to have found this site. It is full of information. Reading all the posts has helped me decide to start hormones after surgery!
Good luck with your surgery! We are only 6 days apart so we will be going through it together!
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:50 AM

Hi! I just had my right ovary and tube removed -laparoscopic and my cervix removed -vaginal on June 24th. I was able to go home that evening, but in hindsight I maybe should have stayed in the hospital overnight. Recovery has been a little slower than I expected. I have not been in a lot of pain, but definitely uncomfortable. Make sure you have help and easily accessible food. I still get very tired after showers. I am learning to ignore the housework. I haven't sleep well, so I am actually thinking of buying a binder. Good luck with your surgery! I am sure all will go well. Once the surgery discomfort is gone, I am sure I will be my bright shiny self. LOL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register