SAH vs. TVH - what little did I know | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SAH vs. TVH - what little did I know SAH vs. TVH - what little did I know

Unread 06-09-2005, 05:03 PM
SAH vs. TVH - what little did I know

It's been 2 1/2 weeks since SAH and doing pretty good so far. I gotta say hats off to my gyno, since I didn't have a clue about the various types of hyster procedures out there! I didn't come across this website until AFTER I had my surgery. From everything I've read here, I have no regrets about choosing SAH.

The original plan was just a surgical procedure to correct the squirts when I sneeze or cough, and to repair some stuff in the pelvic floor that were damaged by having 3 babies over the years, and uh vaginal prolapse correction. During pre-op visit, DR said that uterus would most likely fall down in a few years (common in my family) which would require a second surgery (hyst) later. She could take the uterus during surgery or leave it for removal later... just depends on how I felt about multiple surgeries. I called mom who had TVH and 1 ovary removed at age 30 (my younger sis also had TVH 5 yrs ago). Both had uterus fall down to the point where they could see it poking out! Mom advised to have it removed since today I have insurance and no guarantee what my situation might be when the thing falls down later.

I had not seen a gyno since after the birth of my 3rd child, now 7 yrs old (shame on me!). This was a new doctor for me and I liked her right from the start! But a hysterectomy??? The only thing I knew about was ovaries... remove them and create other problems (menopause). From the start, she said because of my age I still need my ovaries so she would leave them in. So I sat there trying to think of some of the negative affects I'd heard rumors of. She was very easy to talk to, so first question was... "I hear that post hyster women suffer from dryness (during sex)". She said that the body's lubrication comes from the vaginal walls, AND from the cervix, and that she'd leave the cervix so I wouldn't experience dryness. So I ask, "what about weight gain?, I heard that if you take out an organ it leaves a space that over time has no choice but to be filled in with fatty tissues.... creating a pudgy belly?". She said she would sew everything up (or together?) so no hollow space in there for fatty tissue to grow. I couldn't think of anything else to ask. Oh, she said that leaving the cervix might cause a drop or two of blood at the time I would normally have a period. From what I've read, it sounds like you can't keep the cervix if you have vaginal hyster, and if my uterus starts falling down later, I'm guessing they'd probably have to take the cervix with it.

Hmm.... wasn't worried about not having babies since I had a tubaligation 7 years ago. The thought of no more periods seemed pretty appealing... even a spot or two beats a full on 6-day period every month! The best part was that the other repairs would put my "stuff" back to that of a 16 year old? Can't remember the last time I could do a kegle without serious concentration. She said that would be fixed and my sex life would improve (not that I have any problem today, but wonder if my husband would secretly disagree).

I searched the net and couldn't really find a downside to SAH, other than it's a longer recovery compared to TVH. I've just been reading about problems with vaginal cuff for some who got TVH... which doesn't occur with SAH, so I think I made the right decision. Hmm... thinking, that might explain why my sister's BF is getting 'rug burns' on his you-know-what (she had TVH).

I've also read numerous stories here about the pain and nausea upon waking up from surgery. Something about a morephine pump you control? Never knew about that option, but I'm thinking I got a better deal there too. DR gave me an epedural while I was in the operating room, just before they knocked me out with the general anethisia. Absolutely no pain when I woke up, except for normal discomfort of IV in my hand. No feeling of nausea either. She kept the epedural in for two days, so I was able to walk the hospital corridors that night!... dragging the IV, potty bag, and epidural juice with me. After removal of epidural, had another 12 hours of pain-free walking and resting. Finally the catheder comes out and I'm really worried about the first pee, since I also had an episiotomy incision. I remembered from going through child-birth, that you need to lean forward so it doesn't drip on to the incision cuz it will burn like fire! No drip so no pain for me. Did (and still do) have very light bleeding on the pad though, but that was to be expected because of the vaginal repairs (not to mention my period started 2 days before surgery).

A few days before my 2 week check up is when I came across this site... glad there are so many women willing to share their experiences. Most are positive, but some stories can be alarming, and I was kinda glad I hadn't read them before the surgery... I might not have gone through with it. The one subject that had me on pins and needles... sending my stomach into summersaults was STAPLES?? Oh my gawd... DR never said anything about staples. I read one story about staple being in sideways or something... puss ooozing. In panic I called my other sister who's had 5 c-section deliveries... tell me about the staples, are they like METAL staples??? She said yes, but DR always removed hers before she left the hospital, so incision was still numb and never felt a thing. She also said that I should be able to feel the staples with my fingers. I lightly touched the dressing, but didn't know how big staples are, so wasn't sure. I was too afraid to peel back the tape only to go into shock about metal staples! Needless to say, I was on edge the next 2 days until my checkup.

This site was a blessing. It helped me to come up with a list of questions for my DR. While waiting in the examination room, I'm reviewing them all... with a pen to check them off as I go down the line. DR smiled and sat down (like she had all the time in the world) wanting to make sure she answered every one of them. First on the list of course was "do I have staples?". Surprisingly she said no, and reminded me that she had used plastic surgery stitches that are under the skin, so I won't see them, nor will they need to be removed. Whew!!!! I remember asking her over the phone why I couldn't see/feel stitches on the episiotomy cut down below and she told me about plastic surgery type sutures that she put under the skin. It never crossed my mind that the abdominal cut would be sewn up the same way.

Now I'm a little confused about the need for staples, since that seems to be what lots of sisters here got? Has anyone heard of this plastic surgery stitch-witchery that I got? Maybe it's kinda like a blind hem? Don't know what the cons are, but it sure beats the thought of having staples removed... haven't had any problem (yet) with incision opening up either. All I have now is just the little teri stips of thin tape that you can see through.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with the hope that it might help others to ask about some of the options I got... They weren't 'options' for me, since I didn't have a clue about alternate procedures. This why I say hats off to my gyno for giving me the royal treatment. Looks like all-in-all, I got a pretty good deal.

BTW, the one thing that kept me positive through this whole thing was the DR assurance about 'making it like I'm 16 again'. If putting all those lose or torn muscles, intestines (or whatever they are) back where they belong really tightens things up, I can't wait! I never told DH about that part... thought I'd save that for a surprise when we get the go ahead. I still have a few weeks to go ... but thinking I'll just let him find out on his own

Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 06:42 PM

It sounds like your surgery went really well and you are so far very happy with the results which is fantastic.

Unfortunately for some women the reason for the hyst is after many years of pain, suffering and surgery(s) from horrible diseases which wreck your insides, other women have to go through the hyst for the horrendous diagnosis of ovarian/cervical/uterine cancer. Many women because of the disease or cancer are unable to have children and many are far too young to be even thinking of hysterectomy and/or ovarian removal.

I just wanted to remind women that many of us don't have the options after many years of surgery, pain and organs being wrecked to have the choice. I am sure if any of us didn't have our original diagnosis and many, many surgeries we wouldn't have had this done for anything, I think you would be crazy to go through this.

I am very happy for you and your outcome and I just wanted to put in that some women don't have the luxury of choice because of cancer or disease-ridden organs.
Unread 06-09-2005, 09:47 PM

Hi Dee

Welcome to HysterSisters I hope you will continue to have an uneventful recovery.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2005, 09:53 AM

First of all I want to say that each of us are different in many ways.

Also, as "Aus Chick" said....some of us had no choice in the matter as to keeping, or not keeping certain 'parts'. I Had a tumor. I Could have just had it removed and kept everything else....but I have CHOSEN to have it all out. Why run the risk of another tumor growing in there? I also was told I needed some postierior repair! I told the Dr to just go ahead and take it all. Heck, I told my Dr. if he saw my appendix to yank that out too! Also the supracervical hysterectomy is usually more expensive, and some insurance companies will not pay for it.

I also have CHOSEN to have everything removed because....

I will never have to worry about Ovarian Cancer, Ovarian Cysts, Endometriosis,Fibroid Tumors, perimenopause/climacteric {10 - 15 years before menopause], and menopause itself later on, dysfunctional ovulatory problems, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, amenorrhea , pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) etc., etc.. ..ovaries are gone

I will never have to worry about Cervical Cancer, PMS, mini periods {that can last 3- 4 days}, cervical prolapse, pap smears every year, [only about every 5 years],Cervicitis, Cervix Dysplasia, Cervix Erosion ,Cervix Incompetence, Cervix Neoplasms, cervical prolapse,Endometriosis ,etc.,etc. ...cervix is gone

I also CHOSE a TVH because the healing time was much shorter..I wanted to get out on the golf course...I admit! I have No outside stitches/scars at all, not that I care. Well, just an episiotomy scar[mine NEVER burned when going the bathroom]...but nobody will ever see that, and I had another one from my son being born anyway.! I am lucky and have no problems with the vaginal cuff, and neither has my DH. I am still wet, no dryness...but maybe time will change that..I do not know.

I had no trouble at all with the surgery and was walking 1 hour after returning to my room. My cath was out at 4 hours after surgery. I never had even 1 drop of blood, even with all the repair work I had done. The only pain I felt was from the Rectocele repair...and of course that first BM ! WOW...that was a dozy! I had a slight discharge when the stitches dissolved[around 4 weeks]. I got tired...but then again I did have MAJOR surgery! I was released at 6 weeks to do whatever I wanted . At 6 weeks and 4 days I played 18 holes of golf,and did it again the very next day! Now at 11 weeks, I have lost 17 pounds, and am hoping for more.

All in all, I am saying that each one of us goes through this differently. Some of us get a choice about what we will have done. Some of us get NO choice at all. Doctors are different and use different methods for their surgery and different way of 'closing us up'.

Some of us heal fast, others take longer. We are also all different ages which makes a huge difference. We are from different parts of the world and things are done differently in different places.Also different are our pain thresholds, what we had done/repaired, our Dr's and their methods of surgery, the hospitals we stayed at, the care we did or didn't get in the hospital, or at home, our healing time, mental attitude, even the very reasons why we had a hyst...I could go on forever.

I for one, am as "happy as a clam" to have this all over, and everything behind me. I hope your recovery will continue to be as uneventful as it has been so far.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register