Laparoscopic Hysterectomy and Ovarian Neoplasm Removal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy and Ovarian Neoplasm Removal Laparoscopic Hysterectomy and Ovarian Neoplasm Removal

Unread 07-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Laparoscopic Hysterectomy and Ovarian Neoplasm Removal

Has anyone had a laparoscopic approach used for a hysterectomy with an ovarian cystic mass removal. The uterus is over 10 cms and the ovarian mass is over 12.6.

Also has anyone heard of these procedures being done under an epidural?

I go Friday to have my surgery scheduled and I hope I can have this done laparascopically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2005, 12:22 AM

Do you have an elevated CA-125, or other symptoms of possible cancer? If the "mass" is a simple cyst, then laparoscopy may be possible. If, however, it is complex, I can't urge you strongly enough to see a GYN-oncologist. They are the experts and if the unthinkable is found, the outcomes are soooo much better.

Although my complex mass turned out benign, it was a good thing that the oncologist did my surgery . They have three or more extra years of surgical training, and mine was able to remove my mass without rupturing it (something my regular GYN surgeon said was impossible). It was an endometrioma; had they ruptured it, they would have "seeded" my pelvis with endometrial and ovarian cells, which could themselves have grown cancerous. I'm positive that my outcome is improved because they did my surgery.

If you have a family history of ovarian CA or breast CA, an elevated CA-125, or your cyst is complex, all of these should be signs that you need to seek another opinion from the GYN-oncologist. In any event, a mass that size, unless it is "simple," should not be removed laparoscopically .

We have a forum called https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=6 Cancer Concerns that I strongly recommend visiting if cancer is even a remote possibility. Lots of ovarian CA people over there who can help you sort out your options!

Audrey
Unread 07-30-2005, 11:09 PM

Audrey:

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I have taken your advice to heart and I have been referred to an Gyn. Oncologist for consultation at Georgetown Lombardi Cancer Center on Monday at 2PM. Keep you fingers crossed for me.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register