Spinal It Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal It Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spinal It Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 04-18-2001, 10:00 AM
Spinal It Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay sisters I have thought about it, talked it over with my doctor, my husband, and I have received positive feedback from my fellow sisters. I have decided to be sedated along with having the spinal on 4/21.

My greatest fear about this whole thing was being put to sleep. I don't like feeling that I am fighting to wake up from the anethesia and I don't like feeling the nausea either.

Word of advice the the LIW. If you have a fear of being put to sleep or if you have bad reactions to anethesia, discuss the option with your doctor of having a spinal. It is different from an epidural. Another thing to remember is that you will not be fully awake. You will be in LA LA LAND and basically you won't know or care what is going on. You may hear people talking around you but you won't care one way or the other. Another big plus is that I won't remember the procedure.. Everyone is different but this choice is for me. I trust my doctor because he has always been upfront and honest with me .....Besides there were way too many pro's than con's with this method.

I hope I have been some help to the ladies that are waiting and trying to make the same decision. Remember talk to your doctor and take it to prayer. I will promise to post my story when its all said and done. I have three more days to go and I will be a princess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 10:08 AM

Sounds to me that you have done your homework and have made your individual choice..
Do you happen to know the pros and cons of the epidural vs the spinal?
I might just have to look into one of these methods.. because for me, the idea of awaking totally numb still appeals to me. (big baby that I am.. lol)
The best of luck to you.
xoxo DonnaFay
Unread 04-18-2001, 10:19 AM

Good luck with your surgery! I'm a big baby myself in this department and anything involving the spine is a turn off to me. I had general and was very happy with my choice and had absolutely no problems waking up or nausea.

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter what each one of us chooses for sedation as long as we are educated about it, and you are, and that we trust our doctor, and you do!

My very best!
Miranda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 10:28 AM

Good for You !!! It sounds like you have done your homework on this matter. If you have faith and feel comfortable with your MD and have madr your choice then it sounds like you are all ready. Good luck! We are here for you..
Unread 04-18-2001, 10:30 AM

Donna:

The only difference I believe there is between the spinal and epidural is that with the epidural something is left in your back. .....

The spinal is simply a shot in the spinal area that will numb you.

Miranda:

I am a big baby....I am allergic to ANY type of pain..lol... My doctor told me that they would sedate me first and then inject the needle with the numbing medicine. I would basically be in LALA LAND before they did the spinal.

I am praying for an uneventful surgery/recovery...
Unread 04-18-2001, 01:18 PM
Yes, the epidural is continuous

You're right Chalese, the spinal is an injection which lasts for a certain length of time, often with a 24 hour narcotic in it for pain control during and after the surgery.

An epidural, on the other hand, is given continuously, therefore the catheter in the back, is also often used along with a narcotic for pain, and according to my doctor is able to be used for longer surgeries. He also said that in a case like mine, where a radical hysterectomy was a possibility, that the use of either of these methods without also using a general anesthetic was not advised, due to work so high up in the abdomen.

I'm glad your choice is made, Donna, if I were in your position I would have made the same choice. Good luck with the surgery and recovery!
Unread 04-18-2001, 02:39 PM

It sounds like you did a great job researching your options and discussing them with your doctor! I wish I had done the same.

My dr didn't really tell me I had any alternatives, so I had general and I was SO incredibly sick for about 2 weeks after! I couldn't keep down food, water, or even any pain meds!

Good luck with your spinal!
Unread 04-18-2001, 04:46 PM
Good choice!

Chalese, I had my hyst last June. I chose an epidural, and they also did general. It was the best choice I made. When I asked my doc., he was quite surprised - he said he had given up mentioning it because so many women are turned off by the "needle in the spine" thing. I explained that I had researched it, and also had a spinal with my c-section years ago. He said, "go for it, just tell the anesthesiologist!" I had NO (I mean NONE) pain the entire time I was in the hospital. By the time I left the hospital 5 days later, the pain was very manageable, I only took over the counter pain killers. I woke up numb from my chest down, but had some feeling within a few hours. Then, they placed a pain control med right into the tube - it was great!!! The only minor problem I had was that my blood pressure dropped very low in the recovery room, but it was just for a short time. Afterward, my doc. told me that if he had the surgery (Ha, ha), he would have done the same thing. When they put it in my back, I had to "curl" over a small railing, and it only hurt for a second. The doc. told me that it went so well, that he was going to be sure to mention it to future patients.
Unread 04-18-2001, 04:58 PM

I am so glad that you have feel comfortable with a spinal. I did not do as much research as you, and I was so glad I went that route!!!

Your dr. is right.. you are inLA LA land and you may hear or as I explained I spoke to them all, but did not care, nor do I remember what I said...

Good luck
I will pray for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery

Tina
TVH 3/5/01 - Spinal - large fibriods

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register